Home Forums General Discussion Long standing Vs Less severe / Early Disease…the differences?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Pauyen
    Participant

Im currently reading the protocols in the education section and it talks about patients with long standing or the less severe disease. Where does one finish and the other begin?

When is a patient considered long standing or less severe / early?

Cheers

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Pauyen welcome. If you would like a list of AP docs Australia wide, please Private Message me your email address and I will forward. To send me a PM, click on no new messages above, then send the message to my Forum name lynnie_sydney. Lynnie

P.S. Long standing disease is usually over a number of years and often has involved many different treatments. If you havent read rthe New Arthritis Breakthrough by Henry Scammell, we suggest that as a very good place to learn about this approach. It's available through amazon

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks Lyn, but you sent me those yesterday (Im Paul).

Was just curious as to how its determined one or the other, is there a set period? or perhaps how badly the joints are effected? Doesnt really matter I guess, just curiosity grabbed me.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Oh hi Paul, didnt realise it was you. :blush:. Severity is a more subjective measurement than in other illnesses. Physical symptoms and lab results would all play a role as does length of time. See some info below. Lynnie

While clinicians who treat patients with diseases such as diabetes or hypertension have a gold standard diagnostic (glucose blood test or blood pressure) to accurately measure disease activity, rheumatologists rely on subjective (patient self-report) and objective measures (physician-assessed joint counts, acute-phase reactants) to determine RA disease activity. An accurate assessment of RA activity is essential in determining the severity of disease, monitoring response to treatment, and is particularly important with the advent of effective, but potentially toxic therapies. http://www.rheumatology.org/about/newsroom/2010/2010_01_14.asp

Be well! Lynnie

rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Hi,

I was also wondering – what's more important for AP – what determines the treatment outcome – severity or age of the illness? What should be patient's expectations in temrs of effectiveness of the treatment with 1 early but severe or 2 very old but very mild forms? Which one will respond faster/better – the form which is newer (even if severe) or the form which is less severe even if very old? From your experiences and what you have read?

Aynur

linda
    Participant

I'm not an expert, but I always thought that the protocol was more effective the sooner it was started.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

That is thought, in part, to be due to the cumulative effects in the body of the strong DMARD medications that many with long standing and/or severe disease have already been on. When starting AP later rather than early, issues arising from long term use of strong meds and NSAIDS also need to be addressed – for instance, gut problems. Hence that is why IV abx are often recommended for these people in the initial stages – so that the (by now) compromised gut is by-passed. Those with long-standing/severe disease do still respond, however the road is often slower and less straight. However, the success stories of many severely affected patients are well covered in The New Arthritis Breakthrough book and in the Dr Brown video – link to this video is in an announcement post near top of the General Discussion list. Lynnie  

Be well! Lynnie

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Thanks again,

Well, my SD was always so mild I did not need/take ANY medication at all until I started the AP. All I ever had in my life were vitamins and when having infections, tetra abx or other very mild/harmless meds depending on the nature of cold/infection. TI only took low dose aspirin for several months during both pregnancies, to prevent miscarriage. Therefore, I would count as one of those for whome AP will have to start work sooner than later?

Oh, I am so impatient to start seeing results… But I feel (and so does my husband) that my body is becoming softer, my face etc. But not my hands yet!

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Aynur – you may want to read some of Randy's posts about his AP journey with SD –  clicking on his name and looking up his posts from his profile (I think Randy is possibly one of the people who cant access the Forum right now). Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Pauyen
    Participant

Thanks for your explanation Lyn.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.