Home Forums General Discussion L-Glutamine

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DianaW13
    Participant

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is the best time to take L-Glutamine? I understand it is recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, but does anyone know if it should be taken well away from antibiotic dose?

Thanks so much 🙂

Diana

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,

What form is it in, pill or powder? By the way, I always take it with food. I have a large container of L-glutamine, and the directions don’t say anything about taking it on an empty stomach. Also, since L-glutamine is an amino acid I don’t like the idea of taking it on an empty stomach; taking L-glutamine with some protein seems like a more balanced way to take it. However, that is just my personal opinion.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply. It is in powder form. Have you found this supplement helpful? I seem to have developed a more “sensitive” stomach the past couple of years. I have read that this can help. I bought it today and hope to start taking it tomorrow. I was also not sure if this is something that should not be taken near my antibiotic doses.

Diana

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,
    @DianaW13 wrote:

Thanks for your reply. It is in powder form.

Is it pure powder, or does it also contain some filler(s)?

@DianaW13 wrote:

Have you found this supplement helpful?

Yes, it helps reduce inflammation. I can only take a small amount of it, though, due to side effects.

@DianaW13 wrote:

I seem to have developed a more “sensitive” stomach the past couple of years. I have read that this can help. I bought it today and hope to start taking it tomorrow. I was also not sure if this is something that should not be taken near my antibiotic doses.

Are you taking an antibiotic currently? If so, which one(s)?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

A Friend
    Participant

@DianaW13 wrote:

Hi all,

Can anyone tell me what is the best time to take L-Glutamine? I understand it is recommended to be taken on an empty stomach, but does anyone know if it should be taken well away from antibiotic dose?

Thanks so much 🙂

Diana

Hi Diana,

I take a product that has all of the amino acids in it (ImmunoPro), and it is recommended it be taken on an empty stomach. If one would like to firm up the body, directions suggest taking it 15 minutes before exercise/walking, etc. OR 15 minutes after exercise/walking. For myself, this would be a good thing. However, I usually take my ImmunoPro on an empty stomach at bedtime, stirred into about 4 ounces of cold almond milk, sweetened with a little Kal brand stevia. It contains all of the amino acids, so has the necessary ones for metabolic detoxification which the body does during sleep each night. I’ve been reading about amino acids and using this product as it relates to health for some time, and now consider it necessary for myself, as it was apparent I was not able to digest meat protein very well and extract the necessary amino acids from it.

Wanting to know the answers to your question about L-Glutamine, I did a search and found the following link/information which I’m pasting below. My guess about taking antibiotics would be that it would be best not to take them close to the amino acid(s) as it would appear to me it could interfere with absorption of the abx — and might also thwart the action of both. Hope this helps:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/261741-how-to-take-glutamine-powder/

AF

DianaW13
    Participant

My thanks to both of you for your posts 🙂

Phil, there doesn’t appear to be any fillers in this formula (AOR brand – a Canadian company). I should probably work on a signature line! I am currently taking 100mg bid Celebrex, 200mg bid Plaquenil, and 100mg bid Minocycline.

A Friend, thanks for the info – I will look into the broad spectrum aminos also. Since I take my AP in the morning and an hour or so before bedtime, I have tried taking the l-glutamine a couple of hours after lunch. At least my drug load has lessened in the last several months – sheesh, helps with the “juggling” act.

Thanks again!

Diana

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,
    @DianaW13 wrote:

I am currently taking 100mg bid Celebrex, 200mg bid Plaquenil, and 100mg bid Minocycline.

Are you taking any of those on an empty stomach?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Phil,

I take the Minocycline on an empty stomach. It use to bother my stomach, but not anymore. I do find that foods affect me more, but I haven’t yet identified all of them. Wheat for sure. I think my stomach also rebels at times just due to the meds.

Diana

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.