Home Forums General Discussion Knee pain

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    Participant

Okay I have been on Minocycline for about 12 years and have had wonderful results. No problem with pain or flair ups. However since January I am now in a flair, fingers mainly but lately my right knee has gotten very painful, I have an appointment with the doctor on Tuesday to see if he can come up with whatever. Have been on Prednisone now since January but it hasn’t done that much.
    My husband died three years ago and I thought I would definitely have a flair up then,because stress is my worse enemy, but fortunately I did not. But now three years later and here it is. Any ideas?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Rose,

How much minocycline are you taking? And what kind of minocycline are you taking (who makes it)?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Rose
    Participant

Phil I am taking 100mg MWF have been for years. The name brand is Watson, which I understand is now hard to get. This scares me because I getting low and will have to reorder in a few weeks. My left knee is now also acting up.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Rose,

The dose you are taking is rather low. I would be afraid to take that dose for an extended period of time. Why? Because that is the dose of doxycycline I was taking when it suddenly stopped working after I had taken it for about 18 months. What probably happened is that some of the bacteria I am battling developed resistance to the doxycycline. I don’t think that would have happened if I’d been taking doxy every day.

You may want to consider increasing your dose of minocycline, especially if the dose your doctor prescribed is higher than what you are taking. Several members of this forum have reported good results from doing that.

I recommend reading this discussion:

AP for RA question on dosage

Regarding the generic that you are taking, you may want to try switching to Torrent. Although not every pharmacy stocks it, it seems to be readily available. It’s also made in the U.S.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.