Home Forums General Discussion Keeping Minocin in Canada

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    DianaW13
    Participant

Hi all. I don’t know if anyone has tried this, or if it will do any good. I just got off the phone with Stiefel. They passed me onto a very helpful woman who I spoke with about the discontinuation of Minocin and what I and many others are using it for. She had no idea that it is being used for RA, etc.

So………I gave her my name and number and am wondering if all you other Canucks out there would do the same. Perhaps if they know how many of us are relying on this medication they can reverse their decision? Could be worth a try. It certainly can’t hurt!

Here is the contact info that she gave me: medinfo_ca AT gsk PERIOD com OR 1-800-387-7374 ext. 3

Best to all of you!
    Diana

By the way, I also mentioned that Minocin is a recognised DMARD in the U.S.

kater
    Participant

Thanks Diana
    I have called GSK in the past and not gotten anywhere–obviously not the same helpful person you got! I tried again today but they are closed. Will try again Monday. Thanks for posting this number. This would be a great help to our American friends too so if everyone could please phone GSK! I thought about creating an online petition to send them but have no idea how to do something like that. 😳
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

PhilC
    Participant

It’s not a good idea to post e-mail addresses in public forums since that is one way that spammers get ahold of them. One should obfuscate them a little to make it harder for spambots to pick them up.

For example:
    medinfo_ca AT gsk PERIOD com

There are better ways to do this, but I doubt that they would work on most web forums.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

Kate, if you get through next week please let us know. Phil, I didn’t know about the spammer thing 😳

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Diana,

You can still edit your message and change the e-mail address.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

DianaW13
    Participant

Done, thanks Phil

Denyse
    Participant

I have my Doctor phoning GSK directly, thought she may have a little more clout. I still think that these shortages are fake.

On another note…. I may have some very exciting news in the very near future for Canadians. Stay tuned 🙂 I will let you know once i have talked with my Doctor and things are in motion.

CANADIAN LIVING IN CANADA
    Diagnosis/ Diffuse Scleroderma since 05/2006
    Current Meds: Methotrexate, Minocin, Zantac, Rabeprozale, Zopiclone
    Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ
    Current Extras: FIR

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Denyse,
    Glad your doctor is on board! Perhaps she will have more clout! Intrigued to hear your news!

Apparently Stiefel is not saying it is a shortage, they have just stopped making Minocin. My daughter-in-law works in a pharmacy. She says it is not unusual for companys to discontinue name brand drugs. Since there are so many cheaper generics around people don’t want to pay for the originals. Most pharmacies I called when I was looking for Minocin tried to get me to buy the generics even when I specifically requested Minocin. Sad.

Diana

richie
    Participant

Just as one has anti virus software on their computer –one also needs a good spam blocker and pop-up blocking capabilities –its almost basic —
    richie

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi all,

I noticed quite a few visits to this post and wondered how many sent a message or placed a call to Steifel.
    I suppose if any of our American neighbors were relying on the Canadian brand it wouldn’t hurt to contact them either (?) Just a thought.

Hope everyone is enjoying their summer, 🙂

Diana

Denyse
    Participant

My doctor and I are still waiting on a reply from Steifel. It has been over a month…Hopefully I have some good news soon.

Current Supp: Nattokinase, Serrapeptase, COQ10, Milk Thistle, Folate,, B12, D3, Melissa, UP4 probiotics, N-A-C
    medical MJ

DianaW13
    Participant

Hi Denyse,
    Thanks for letting me know.
    How are you feeling?

PhilC
    Participant

Something else you may want to do is lobby your government and try to get the law changed so you’ll be able to legally import Minocin from another country, and do it through the mail or a parcel delivery service. The way things are now, the only way to legally do that is to go to another country, buy the Minocin, and physically bring it back yourself. Even then, it seems there is no guarantee that it won’t be confiscated.

“So as not to interrupt a course of treatment, Health Canada may use enforcement discretion to permit a Canadians returning from abroad to bring with them on their person a single course of treatment or a 90-day supply based on the directions for use, whichever is less, of a prescription drug.” (Emphasis added.)

Source:
    http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/compli-conform/import-export/gui-0084_biu-uif-eng.php#a6

By the way, this does not apply to visitors. Visitors to Canada are allowed to import prescription drugs for personal use, and that includes doing so through the mail.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Denyse
    Participant

Yes I know of this, but I am working with the government right now to get what i need for myself and will have what I need when it is all settled. I will keep canadians in the loop once i have things approved.

medical MJ

Denyse
    Participant

I read your links, a long time ago, and have found a much simpler way of getting what I need through our government, thx though for puttin it out there. I like to do my homework when I run into road blocks, but I also know how to delegate a good portion of it back to the government, they are the ones resposible, so they can do my paperwork and approve it as well!

medical MJ

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.