Home Forums General Discussion IV Antibotics

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    snglbear24
    Participant

Hi. I have been on oral Mino for 2.5 weeks. The doctor that prescribed them to me knows nothing about AP therapy but was willing to prescribe them. I am set to travel to Iowa to get antibiotics by IV and meet with the doctor there but wonder if you think the IV antibiotics are necessary. I like the idea of meeting with an experienced doctor but hate the idea of being gone a week. For all of you that had IV antibiotics, do you think it really helped anymore then the oral antibiotics? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Stacy

Diffused Scleroderma/SLE Overlap
    Minocycline June 2016 2 x 100 daily
    Culturelle Probiotic 2 x daily
    Tumeric 400 mg 3 x daily

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Stacy,

The purpose of IV clindamycin at the start of treatment is to provide a boost by targeting any additional susceptible infections that a tetracycline might not affect and to clear the way for the oral abx to kick in a bit faster. For those it helps, they usually feel pretty good while there and then, after a week or so and back home, a herx may begin, which can be unsettling. Not everyone herxes, but it’s a helpful sign that the IVs are doing some good. Otherwise, one might not notice much. In preparation, it might help to get some detox measures in place to help relieve any herxing, if it occurs.

The upside of a visit to see Dr. S. is that he is very experienced and this can be incredibly reassuring. He is so kind to work with open local docs, so it should be helpful to you on an ongoing basis, as well.

There are quite a few past discussion threads about folks going to Iowa and their experience, so might help to search those out to read ahead of time.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Stacey;
    My doctor put me on the IVs to see if they would make a difference but I only got an AP doctor 12 years ago and had been on mino and oral clindamycin for 6 so they did not make any difference.The one great thing about IVs is that you don’t have to swallow the pills that can be very hard on the stomach when you have to take 1200mg.O La La!

Calida
    Participant

Hi Stacy,

Lynne is right, oral clindamycin can be hard on the stomach. I didn’t have the opportunity to do IV clindy as my doctor’s office is 3 hours away so logistics made it difficult. I took 1800 mg daily for 2 weeks and it wiped me out but I would do it again in a heartbeat because it knocked some stubborn symptoms right out of my body.

If you can do it, a week away from home to see Dr. S. and get a course of IV clindamycin is a great investment in your future health.

Kelly

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.