Home Forums General Discussion Is This Brand of Minocycline Reputable??

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

BikerHiker….thanks so much for the very informative post on the history of minocin. I had heard much of this history in pieces, but it was interesting to have some gaps filled in the great timeline you provided. Many thanks to both you and your wife!

I believe the company to which Wyeth sold rights is Triax, which as you say is a cosmetic or dermatological pharmaceutical, and they now sell minocin in these nifty little “zit packs” for teens, including a face scrub and moisturizer…or some other similar type potions. We had this discussion a while back, but it's really hard to believe that any parent would spend upwards of $1700 on a zit pack! I mean, we all love our kids, but that is pretty ridiculous, especially as it would be considered “cosmetic” by most carriers and not covered.

As for your comments on generics, I think my Dad, a retired veterinarian who spent some years working for Eli Lilly Drug Co (in Canada) on the animal drug admin side, would agree with you. He has always been very insistant about the quality control and consistancy of brand name vs generic being quite different, the former being superior. It's an opinion, of course, but one that is informed to the extent that he said he could trust the exact composition of the drugs produced and he didn't feel as confident about the generics.

I also have an apology to make as I believe I must have inadvertantly overlooked replying to your great post of last week in which you shared a good part of your journey to date after I had asked you how things had gone for you thus far. So sorry, but I want you to know that I read it with great interest, but just got waylaid with a hectic weekend.

I think a couple of dude icons are definitely in order! :dude: One for facing Type 1 diabetes as well as RA with such courage and the other :dude: for turning these into something pretty wonderful by spending hours upon hours helping to mentor others through their challenges with it. It takes a special kind of person to do this and I have tremendous admiration for people just like you.

I wish you all the very best as you begin on your new pulsing regimen and look forward to hearing how you're doing with that. Also, just wondered (I'm sure you must have with all the diabetes research you must do), if you had heard of the “Type 1 Diabetes Breakthrough” as it was dubbed in the Canadian press, whereby capsaicin was injected directly into the pancreases of mice creating remission in all? haven't heard anything more since this story hit the headlines up there, but it caused quite a stir last year, at the time, and wonder if you had heard anything more about this. Apparently, these same doctors were hopeful that this same treatment could be modified for other “autoimmune” diseases, such as MS and Crohns…and in one report I read, they said RA, too. I find this fascinating and would like to know more about this connection, as I suspect something to do with the endochrinal cascade, but just haven't connected any dots yet. Perhaps you have?

Oh, btw, if this is of interest (no pressure), John McD added a Personal History thread under the General Discussion header of the BB for anyone to create a personal AP diary, which can be added to as time passes. It was suggested that this might be useful, not only to keep tabs on our own progress, but to assist newcomers who might be just beginning AP to see the journeys of others who have gone before. These aren't intended to replace the testimonials on the testimonial page, but could well provide the 'meat' for writing one when we reach remission!

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_forum.php?id=3

Thanks, again, for giving so generously of your time to share your knowledge!

Peace, Maz

Maz
    Keymaster

PS Here is the “Diabetes Breakthrough” article (mentioned above) from the Canadian “National Post”:

http://www.nationalpost.com/news/story.html?id=a042812e-492c-4f07-8245-8a598ab5d1bf

Serenity
    Participant

I just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts.  I really appreciate!  I've been taking the Ranbaxy brand for the past several days, and so far so good.  🙂

fastspinW
    Participant

Maz,

Thanks for the heads up on the breakthrough cure for diabetes. I had heard about it last year but not much since then. The irony is that I live just down the street from Jackson Lab which is one of the places investigating this matter…in fact, I used to work there 12 years ago, although not in a scientific capacity.

Hard to say whether or not this will amount to anything or not. Sadly, a lot of these Breakthroughs turn out to be dead end streets. But others, happily, do not. So I guess I will try to keep an open mind.

As to having missed my post a week or two ago…not to worry please. Taking part in boards like this can be a bit overwhelming at times and if I had a dollar for every time I've “missed” a response to one of my posts on other boards I'd be able to retire. In truth, I can't quite remember myself what my post was about as the past week has been kind of rough and I've had a lot on my mind.

Back in Jan I had cataract surgery on my right eye which kept me busy for a few weeks with eyedrops (4 different kinds, 4 times a day, for 3 weeks). In the midst of this I walked out into my back yard to check out some animal tracks in the snow, stepped on some ice, and broke my collarbone. As I walked out the door in my PJs to look at the tracks my wife said, “Be careful and don't slip on the ice!” Thirty minutes later I was in an ambulence headed for a $2,000 visit to the ER.

Two weeks after that I had cataract surgery on my left eye and unfortunately developed complications. So I had to have the surgery redone 6 days later. How many people, I wonder, can lay claim to having had surgery done on 3 eyes?

Around about this time my wife's health insurance company switched over to Express Scripts and the first 5 prescription refills I attempted were all turned down forcing me to file appeals.

This resulted in my having to stop taking my Minocin for about 7 weeks and by the time I was able to resume my RA had begun to flare for the first time since I began AP a little more than 4 years ago. Sadly, I did not notice the flare until it got pretty bad as I was on pain meds for the broken collarbone for 6 weeks and they apparently masked the flare. In addition, against my better judgement, I had allowed my doctor to talk me into lowering my thyroid medications and as a result my TSH had shot up. Thus for a time I confused the terrible terrible terrible fatique of my RA flare with that accompanying a rise in TSH levels.

By the time I realized what was what…

The name of the game now is can I get my RA back under control in time to allow me to get my charter boat business up and running for the 2008 season? Let's hope so as this has been an expensive winter medically and some cash coming in to offset that going out would be most welcome.

By the way, if you didn't see the Frontline show on PBS last night entitled “Sick Around The World” click on this link and watch it online!

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/?campaign=pbshomefeatures_2_frontlinebrsickaroundtheworld_2008-04-16

Washington Post journalist T.R. Reid did a massive report on health care delivery systems around the world and by the end of the program it is more than clear that America's system is long long long overdue for a complete overhaul! When you see what other countries have achieved in overhauling their own systems you will realize just how bad our own system really is.

All best,
    bikerhiker

JBJBJB
    Participant

Today I transfered my prescription to Wal-mart. I got my 60 pills of minocycline (by Watson) filled, had to waited for almost 3 hours. They said Dr. S. did not prescribe capsule, so they had to call Iowa, Dr. S. office to get permission.  I was told for 60 pills, tablet was $53 after 70% paid by insurance vs. capsule $6.80 after insurance. Wow, what a difference.

I also don't like tablet. Some time it stuck in my throat, caused burns. I sure hope this capsule works well for me.

I have no idea what's difference between tablet and capsule. It seems some people have good results with capsule.

JB

Starr
    Participant

Bikerhiker,

I enjoyed reading your posts and wish you the best luck getting back on track.  Don't forget the Buylowdrugs option.  Many people are very happy with them (for more than minocin).

Anchors Aweigh!

richie
    Participant

Hi

There is no longer  a generic by Lederle –the pelleted types are made by Triax in the US –thats the Wyeth production which was sold to them –in Canada is Stiefel –Wyeth sold Canadian production to them –these are really the only two pelleted versions made –Walgreens I would doubt uses the pelleted –especially since the retail is about 11.00 per capsule and wholesale over 5.00 –

richie

richie
    Participant

Hi

Bear in mind –just cause its a capsule doesnt mean its pelleted –if its not the two aabove -its powdered

R

richie
    Participant

Hi GJH

Using Bromelain to increase absorption of the antibiotic is a very dangerous practice and  really very bad advice —if absorption is the issue use the pelleted –the reason its dangerous is the aborption rate will tend to vary too much from dose to dose –a real bad practice

Richie

Eggs
    Participant

Actually walgreens does sell the pelleted, thats where i get mine.

Blackwolf
    Participant

Maz, I have read so much of your advice……very much appreciated.

I just got my first name brand minocin from buylowddrugs I was thrilled to see the price. I have been on generic minocycoline for about 5 1/2 months and haven't seen much change except some better days that makes me think it has started working. Also lots of blood work and it all came back low sed rate of 14 and a RF of 17.

I had horrible side effects taking methotrexate, plaquenil caused a myocarditis in which I fully recovered without damage. That was six years ago and I decided then…..no more. I have basically taken advil until this past year started hurting everywhere. My doctor describes mine as very mild RA…..but it doesn't seem that way. I found you guys back in December and started minocycoline in January.

I am commited to this protocol and do not expect an overnight miracle…..I do expect the AP to eventually work. After reading , The New Arthritis Breakthrough…..I am convinced! Anyway, I just want to thank you and all of these wonderful people for the encouragement and knowledge. All of you are a God send! I will keep you updated.  Thanks again,  Andrea

Maz
    Keymaster

Andrea, how kind of you to write and thank you for your thoughtful words. There are so many wonderful, experienced APers here and so glad you found this plot in cyberspace and finding it helpful. It was a godsend to me, as well, when I first became so unwell.

You've been at this for some time and done the rounds on the usual meds, so it may take a little time for this to kick in for you…but hang in there! I've been on low dose, pulsed minocin for about the same length of time as you and I've had to be patient, too, though I am seeing many more improved days than not now. As John McD so aptly describes it….improvements are “glacial,” but over time the do occur and you suddenly realize you can do something you couldn't do before….and those little realizations keep building till you realize you're really on your road back!

Thanks again for posting and I very much look forward to hearing more about your journey as you go. 🙂

Be well.

Peace, Maz

carries
    Participant

Hi! Does anyone know if the Globle brand is any good?

DiamondTNT
    Participant

Has anyone tried this one, manufactured by Sigma Pharmaceuticals Pty Ltd.:

http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/infections/minomycin.html

I found this online pharmacy a number of years ago and have used it ever since for my Premarin, brand specific. ($80.00+/- per MONTH here, about $125 per YEAR there!)

Minomycin 100mg – 100  =  $76.00 US

or:  http://www.inhousepharmacy.com/skin-care/minocycline.html

Minocycline 50mg – 180 Tablets = $80.00 US

No prescription required and I've never had any problem with delivery.  I also get my pet meds there.  MUCH less than here in the good ole USA.

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘ Is This Brand of Minocycline Reputable??’ is closed to new replies.