Home Forums General Discussion Interesting article on Minocin, vitamin C and hyperpigmentation

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mumof3
    Participant

Hi,

Found this article today that suggests that vitamin C helps prevent hyperpigmentation when taking minocin. I know that this is what everyone suggested to me but interesting to see an article on it.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/9893512/

Also, if anyone is familiar with the cosmetics brand The Ordinary, they make a really fine powder vitamin c that is designed to be mixed with serums or moisturizers. It works really well and the best part is it is between $5 and $6

Spiffy1

Thank you so much for this article. Very interesting. Also, thank you for the heads up with the vitamin c powder. The price is great!

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Calida
    Participant

Hi Mum and Spiffy,

I used to be known as Calida (or Kelly) but I’ve renamed myself Smurfette as my face is now a lovely shade of muddy blue. It matches my eyes, though! One consolation…

A while back, our Lynne gave me a recipe for powdered Vit C as ascorbic acid (non-buffered)to be dissolved in distilled water (I add Vit E to the mix) and applied to the blue areas followed an hour later by hyaluronic acid. It may have caused some fading but its difficult to tell as I’ve only been using it for a few weeks. Overall, it does help my skin.

The original site with the recipe has been taken down so my last batch was an approximation. I’ll have a look for a better, more specific, recipe and post it here.

Best,
    Calida

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Minocycline (Teva generic) 100mg BID November 20, 2014
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey Kelly;
    So nice to see you here.Do you remember Dolores who has SD?She had to have cardiac surgery and floored the doctors as her internal organs were as blue as her skin.She switched to Zith,five days on and 5 off and is back to her normal colour.Nothing has changed here and I am running like crazy even without the greenhouse.XXXXXXXX

Mumof3
    Participant

is doxycycline not the alternative to minocin or is it Zithromax?

Calida
    Participant

Hi Mum, yes, doxy is used when mino isn’t tolerated. Mino is a tétracycline while zith is a macrolide. I take both zith and mino as they seem to have a synergistic effect together and separately hit different bugs. My doctor and I are discussing replacing the mino in a few months. A frightening proposition for me, as scleroderma responds to the anti-fibrotic properties of mino, but something to think about.

Hi Lynne, so funny about Dolores! I imagine I’m as blue inside as I am out, too. Has the niacinimide worked for you? Last I remember, it was more effective than the Vit C/hyaluronic acid combo. I can’t take niacinimide as it triggers all the sclero symptoms and more. Absolute poison to my system.
    No more greenhouse? I’m so happy to hear you’re not running out all night to add fuel to the stove but I can’t imagine your life without orchids. Still feeding the cute little skunk?

Dx: Diffuse Systemic Sclerosis/SLE overlap, Raynaud's June 2013, Lyme August 2013
    AP: Azithromycin (Teva) 250mg BID, May 2014, Clindamycin 600mg every 8 hours for 2 weeks July 27, 2015 - Aug 10, 2015
    Meds: LDN 3.5 mg, Prednisone 5 mg (discontinued), Aspirin 81mg, Liposomal Artimisinin 50mg QID x 3 weeks, 4th week off, rotating (discontinued May 2015, restarted 2016 7 days per month), Daily Nystatin, 2 tabs BID, as a preventative measure
    Supplements

Spiffy1

I have been thinking about the lady whose thyroid was blue. Is the only way to know this is to see it during surgery? Kelly, did you watch your face progress in color at a slow pace or did it surprise you more quickly? I have some dark blue pigmentation inside the corner of my lip but no one sees it except my dentist. This is the only area I am aware of. And it did surprise me. One day it seems like it was just there. The good news is that it seems to be stable. I also know that when I was taking two a day on MWF my face got to looking pretty red or sort of tan. But not blue. I have heard there is a laser that can help with this blue hyperpigmentation. I wonder if it could treat a whole area and if it is painful?

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Mumof3
    Participant

I have had laser treatment before for sun spots etc. It wasn’t too painful. This was before the hyperpigmentation. I may try the laser treatment. Will let you know if it helps.

Calida
    Participant

Spiffy, the blue came on suddenly a few months ago after 5.5 years of mino. I had some brown hyperpigmentation on my forehead and a general odd brownish tinge to my skin overall but no blue. Now it’s on both cheeks, across the bridge of the nose, along the lower lip line, and it looks like it may be appearing above my lips.

I have a research paper saved somewhere which tells of a long-term mino patient using a certain type of laser successfully to remove the blue. I’ll find it and share it here.

Supplements

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

It took about a dozen years for me to get blue spots,first in my calves and then on the face a couple years later.Just read the link on rats and calculated how much C would be equivalent for a human of 100 lb.O la La,a whopping 3750 mg. Mind you ,I am the only person who could add a colum of numbers 10 times and get 11 different answers I weigh 50K on the nose so that is 102 lb.

SS
    Participant

Hello
    I had a colonoscopy done few months back after an appendectomy.
    The doctor mentioned after the procedure I have MELANOSIS COLI in transverse colon meaning i had blue pigments in colon.
    He asked if I was on green tea or laxative that would cause the pigments. I am not on both and even a biopsy was done to find out if any thing was going on. The biopsy came out negative.
    I am on Minocin for the last 19 years and I take only 2 tablets a week so probably that might be the cause I thought.
    Just sharing the pigmentation news.
    Thanks
    Regards
    ss

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.