Home Forums General Discussion inflammed eyes

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    judy cash
    Participant

Maz,

I'm not sure my thyroid has been checked recently !!  I have had so  much blood work and test, and they really only tell you if something is wrong.. I need to check up on it though. I do remember telling my regular doctor a year or so ago that my eyes were watering and red, he only gave me a drop for dry eyes. IT DID NOT HELP..I really don't think it's dry eyes, but I'm no doctor… After reading all the posts, I am getting a little concerned though.  I wonder if I should have another eye test done, its only been a few months, but at the time I didn't know that I had RA, and so I didn't tell the OP.

Judy

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=1504]judy cash[/user] wrote:

I'm not sure my thyroid has been checked recently !!  I have had so  much blood work and test, and they really only tell you if something is wrong.. I need to check up on it though. I do remember telling my regular doctor a year or so ago that my eyes were watering and red, he only gave me a drop for dry eyes. IT DID NOT HELP..I really don't think it's dry eyes, but I'm no doctor… After reading all the posts, I am getting a little concerned though.  I wonder if I should have another eye test done, its only been a few months, but at the time I didn't know that I had RA, and so I didn't tell the OP.

Judy, see if you can get copies of all your bloodwork and keep them in a folder at home. It's a really good practice to keep them all on file and great to watch those RA labs coming down while on AP (not forgetting they can worsen in the early months)!!! 😀 

A good thyroid workup might not be a bad idea to rule out this possibility, as subtle symptoms can be missed by docs who aren't edocrinlogists. Seems there is a lot of overlap with AI diseases, of which Grave's is just one thryoid possibility. Many of us here have a thyroid issue of one kind or another and very common in RAers. They will just test your thyroid auto-antibodies ( think these are the specific tests for Graves: thyroid peroxidase (TPO), thyroid stimulating immunoglobulin (TSI) and ant-TSH receptor antibody) and sometimes follow up with an ultrasound. 

It's worth being vigilant about the thyroid with any rheumatic disease, because there are overlapping symptoms like fatigue and joint pain, for instance, which can easliy be rectified with thyroid meds.

All the best figuring this out, Judy. Let us know how you get on and will keep you in my thoughts!

Peace, Maz

A Friend
    Participant

[user=123]Fran[/user] wrote:

Do any of you get inflammed eyes.  For the past few months, one of my eyes will get very red and it looks like conjunctivitis.  I will wake up with it.  Usually it lasts for 2-3 days and then clears up.  None of my four kids ever get it and no one in the house gets conjunctivitis so I don't think its contagious.  I seem to be getting it all the time now though.  Is this just part of this disease?

Fran,

As you can see from my diagnoses/treatments at bottom of page, I have had eye problems in the past.  Fortunately, in 1999 when this suddenly happened, Dr. Emil Wirostko was alive and practicing in NY and NJ.  He was also an esteemed researcher/scientist of eye problems, had been head of the Uveitis Department — was affiliated with Harkness Eye Center & Columbia Presbyterian Hospital. 

Thankfully, I just happened to have learned that he was a proponent of AP treatment for eye problems in JRA and other rheumatic patients, and had spoken at some of the national conferences held for learning about Dr. Thomas McPherson Brown's treatment protocols.  My AP physician at that time and I both decided that NY was where I needed to go — and quickly!  It was the right decision. 

All of the above said, I just read the following articles recently (either on this board, or the MP board).  Back two or three years ago, I'd posted one of Dr. Brown's documents — a “Sensitivity Document.”  It was then I learned of Dr.TM's interest in the work of Dr. Wirostko.  When I read the information in the attached link, I even more fully understood the importance of Dr. TM's interest in Dr. Wirostko's work.  And, thankfully, I now understand better why Vitamin D supplementation is definitely not for me. 

http://bacteriality.com/2007/11/13/eyes/

AF writes:  If you have ongoing eye problems, or have had serious eye problems in the past, and/or have been diagnosed with a chronic illness, it is suggested that you read and save a copy of the following eye research paper, and give a copy of it to your AP physician, your primary care physician, and especially your opthalmologist:  Along with other important findings by Dr. Wirostko and other eye researchers, also discussed is an important explanation of why Vitamin D supplementation can be harmful to patients with these problems.  

[The article below also reports treatment and resolution of uveitis and other eye conditions in chronic illnesses, giving the patient background, opthalmologic research, and treatment for numerous cases using MP (Marshall Protocol) The following is a “must read” and is worth hanging onto].   

Eye inflammation, vision, and bacteria
    Author: Amy Proal

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

Holy moly this is the second time in about 3 months i got red eyes. The first time it happened it was in just my left eye, I just woke up and there it was just red no gunky stuff just red …when I went to my physical therapy appt the therapist asked me if i have allergies cause it looked like i had dry eyes form allergies so then i got concerned and asked the rheumy next door and he told me it looked like dry eyes and that happens with SD that i should just get some eye drops to moisten my eyes and I did that and it went away in like 2-3 days then just last week it happened again so i put my drops in and sure enough it was gone again in like 2-3 days. So maybe as a precaution i should visit the eye doc.

A Friend
    Participant

[user=318]rebeccaavazian[/user] wrote:

Holy moly this is the second time in about 3 months i got red eyes. The first time it happened it was in just my left eye, I just woke up and there it was just red no gunky stuff just red …when I went to my physical therapy appt the therapist asked me if i have allergies cause it looked like i had dry eyes form allergies so then i got concerned and asked the rheumy next door and he told me it looked like dry eyes and that happens with SD that i should just get some eye drops to moisten my eyes and I did that and it went away in like 2-3 days then just last week it happened again so i put my drops in and sure enough it was gone again in like 2-3 days. So maybe as a precaution i should visit the eye doc.

Rebecca, if you haven't read the bacteriality paper by Amy Proal, you might want to do that before your appointment.  Also, when the paper appears, there's a link to “print” the document for a cleaner copy.  You might want to print this document and give your physicians a copy, both your AP one and ophthalmologist.  Inflammation from Th1 organisms, etc. discussed in the paper can be behind what is causing what is happening to your eyes. 

Eye inflammation, vision, and bacteria
    Author: Amy Proal

Best,
    AF

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘ inflammed eyes’ is closed to new replies.