Home Forums General Discussion Inflammatory Osteoarthritis

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Eileen
    Participant

Hello all,

I’ve poked around on the internet and haven’t found much info. Can anyone chime in and explain to me what ‘inflammatory osteoarthritis’ is? Sounds like an oxymoron. 😕

Thank you,
    Eileen

Maz
    Keymaster

Eileen, I have been running some searches on PubMed and came across the following that I thought you might be interested to read:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21675377

“Any discussion of inflammatory arthropathies should at least mention Osteoarthritis, if for no other reason than to compare it with the traditionally regarded inflammatory diseases. However, there has been increasing interest on the potential role that synovial inflammation may play in the pathogenesis of this vary common arthritis.”

As you say, it’s a bit of an oxymoron, because it’s clear that osteoarthritis, a common, degenerative condition, commonly associated with natural aging, is degenerative because there is an inflammatory component to it (something that hasn’t been traditionally associated with osteoarthritis, but clearly has some role)…and, if one looks to causes for inflammation, then injury and/or infection are the main contenders.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.