Home Forums General Discussion IMURAN

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    246bride
    Participant

Has anyone had experience with this drug? I went to my rheumy today and she suggested it. Not one that I have heard a lot about. From what I have read so far, it’s not something I would be interested in taking. I also updated her on my AP (it’s been 2.5 months on minocycline). She doesn’t really believe in the AP and she said, “well if it hasn’t made you feel great within 2.5 months, it’s not going to work” She is concerned that I am going to get joint damage if I continue on with it. My plan was to give antibiotics a try for 4-6 months before trying for another baby. I went into remission with my last pregnancy.

thoughts?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carey,

Has she ever suggested methotrexate (MTX), or have you ever been on it? Based on what I’ve read, azathioprine (Imuran) is one of the DMARDs doctors will try if the patient doesn’t respond to (or tolerate) MTX.

It sounds like your rheumy doesn’t believe in the AP, which leads me to suspect that you’re probably not doing as well as you could be, due to her lack of knowledge of, and experience with, the AP. What other medications are you taking besides minocycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

246bride
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi Carey,

Has she ever suggested methotrexate (MTX), or have you ever been on it? Based on what I’ve read, azathioprine (Imuran) is one of the DMARDs doctors will try if the patient doesn’t respond to (or tolerate) MTX.

It sounds like your rheumy doesn’t believe in the AP, which leads me to suspect that you’re probably not doing as well as you could be, due to her lack of knowledge of, and experience with, the AP. What other medications are you taking besides minocycline?

Phil

Oh yes she has suggested Mtx, but I have always said it’s something I don’t want to go on. I am taking plaquenil and mobic (have cut it back to 7.5mg) and prednisone only when I feel really bad and even then I only take 2.5mg. For instance, I have taken 2.5mg of pred once this week and maybe once in the month before that. I take other various supplements and vitamins. I am currently on 50mg twice a day M/W/F/S..so basically I take it every other day not just M/W/F.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Carey,

It sounds like you are on the right track. Have you made any changes to your diet?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

246bride
    Participant

I have tried drastically changing my diet this past summer while I was limited to medication I could take while breastfeeding. I never felt any big difference. I do know that I struggle with yeast, but have not buckled down with a diet to combat that. Seems so daunting, especially with 2 small children, I don’t have a lot of time to devote to my needs.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.