Home Forums General Discussion idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)
  • Author
    A Friend
    Participant

Jo,

Hopefully, if a trial of AP is used, it just might address other mycoplasma type organisms if they are present and hidden in the child's diagnosis.  Of course, we are not physicians, but “brainstorming” here, it might be good insurance if the physician who might prescribe AP for a 3-6 month trial/probe, would use more than one type of abx, either one at a time or used alternate days.

An example to also consider:  In my spouse's treatment for an unsuspected problem by his own physician a few years back, my AP physician had mentioned two different types of testing he does for all of his heart patients.  You may recall in another post, I asked my spouse's internist about doing the two tests my AP recommended to see if this was a/the problem with whatever was going on.  With a rather condescending look over his glasses, his internist only nodded he had heard me.  Yet, a couple of days later (I assumed he'd gone online and researched the two tests) he had his nurse call my spouse and request he go to the lab and have these done.  They both were positive.  The internist ordered 10 days of the appropriate abx.  However, according to my AP physician, 10 days of the medication was not the appropriate treatment for this type of infection, and will not have the same longlasting results that doing longterm, pulsed abx would have had.

I mention the above incidence to add to their knowledge/thinking that even if their child does not have H pylori [which may (or may not) respond to a short round of abx] perhaps they will be spurred to educate themselves about a longer trial of selected abx's which are appropriate for children.  If an extended trial is done, a retest of the ITP may show if anything changes .  There are effective abx for AP that do not have the adverse side effects for children that some abx do (i.e., teeth).  Since we know that dermatologists have been treating teenagers for years with longterm abx for acne, we can assume that the medical profession considers this a rather safe treatment modality. 

AF

Viewing 16 post (of 16 total)

The topic ‘ idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura’ is closed to new replies.