Home Forums General Discussion I am Thankful for the Road Back Foundation…

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Texas T.
    Participant

On this, the eve of Thanksgiving, I am Thankful for the Road Back Foundation…

I’m currently 4 years into RA. I found the the Road Back Foundation 3 1/2 years ago – so I was relatively newly diagnosed with RA when I began my search for answers and found this forum and the wealth of information and personal experiences so openly shared here.

I am on a daily dosage of brand name Minocin (which I get from Canada) and Zith 3 days a week and I am WELL!!! I do have the occasional flare – for me that is excessive joint inflammation – but this last year the flares have been easily more tolerable than in the beginning. The pain is much less severe and the inflammation lasts between 4 – 10 weeks – but it does NOT stop me in my tracks like it did in the beginning.

My personal experience has been so very positive – I would openly recommend this course of treatment to anyone who has felt the devastating effects of this wicked and cruel disease.

At the time of this posting, I have not taken any steroids for over 3 years and even more importantly at this time – I have NOT taken any NSAIDS for over 3 weeks. I am aware I may have to take NSAIDS again at some point – but to be off of ALL pain relieving meds for 3 weeks is like a miracle.

I was so afraid in the beginning – where would I be in 5 or 10 years from onset? My only experience with RA was my paternal grandmother – and she was bed fast for the last 25 years of her life. It makes me so mad because the AP protocol was available at the time when it would have been beneficial to her – yet it was set aside by the medical community for synthetic steroids. Now here I am 4+ years into this uncertain journey and at the time of this post – I AM WELL!!!

To any newbies out there – it is indeed a long road back – but with the AP protocol I at least feel like I am taking an aggressive stance against this disease and not just masking the symptoms while it runs rampant in my body. Stay the course, it will take a few years to get where I am today – pain free and NSAIDS free – but you finally arrive – and you will – it will be worth the effort. Hindsight truly is 20/20 – and I am so grateful to the people on this board for giving me my life back.

A special thank you goes out to Maz and John McDonald for the wealth of support, encouragement, and information they so freely shared with me and others to help us make it through this maze of uncertainty.

God bless you all and please know you are not alone. In your darkest moments of uncertainty and pain – you have a family right here just waiting to give you a hand up or a leg up if that is what you need!

Happy Thanksgiving to all and may you each be blessed with good health as 2011 dawns…

Teresa

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Teresa – so lovely to hear from you with such uplifting news. This post will greatly encourage those new to this approach. Thank you and enjoy the Holiday. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Valsmum
    Participant

Well, I am thankful for your encouraging post. I am one year into RA and it turned my world upside down for awhile. I have a lot of hope now because of all the AP sucess stories.I noticed you’re from Texas. I moved to Texas recently, I am a California Native. The people of the this state are very warm, friendly and family oriented. Thanks again for your post, it’s helpful to those like me that have just started out on their road back. Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Texas T.
    Participant

Valsmum,

It sounds like you are on the same track as me – at first I went to a Rheumy – who put me on steroids and MTX. I tried and tried – but could not get him to give me AP. So I moved onto a Dr. in Lufkin, TX who believes in AP for RA and have never looked back.

While I still have the occasional flare – two in 2010 – January and July – both isolated to right knee – neither of them stopped me in my tracks like flares did in the beginning. My ankle flared in April, 2008 – it felt like someone injected acid in my joint – burned from the inside out. That stopped me in my tracks for sure. It also left a large red mark on my skin for many months. Eleven days after I started on Doxy – the red mark was completely gone. When I told/showed that to my then Rheumy – he had no comment. That was my last appt. with him.

I continue to drive 200 miles in each direction to Lufkin to see Dr. R.K. – she rocks! Last summer when I was there she gave me two peaches she had picked off her tree that morning. How many times has that ever happened in a Dr.’s office! Not only is she a great Dr., but she also makes a personal connection with her patients.

Stay the course, it does take time – about 2-3 years for me – but now that I am on the back side of it – it was worth the effort.

Happy Thanksgiving and best of health to you in 2011.

Teresa

Texas T.
    Participant

To those of you who have not seen me here in a while and to those of you who have never seen me here – the reason for that is I AM WELL!!! Thanks to the Road Back and all the wonderful people who dare to stand up to the traditional toxic treatments for this cruel disease.

Please know this treatment takes time – but time will pass – and you will be on the backside of that time like I am now – and then you will know for sure you made the right choice. I know I did.

God Bless you and comfort you in your times of pain and uncertainty and remember you have others right here who DO KNOW EXACTLY what you feel like and they are here to support you during these trying times. And one day you will step back into this arena, after a long absence, like I am now, and give thanks to those who saw you through and encouragement to those who are still trying to find their way.

Best of health to all in 2011.

Teresa

Michele
    Participant

Teresa,

It’s so nice to see your post! So glad to hear you are feeling so much better! I would also like to express my deep appreciation and gratefulness for the RBF site. I am now 3 years into an “RA” diagnosis. I have been painfree for several weeks continuously. No pain medicine needed. Folks from 3 years ago will remember when I couldn’t find any medicine to control the pain. It is a long haul and a lot of detective-work to uncover the causes that trigger the inflammation. But, now that I am feeling so much better, it is very worth it! I know I wouldn’t have survived long on immune suppressing standard drugs. Now I have energy, strength, and no pain!!!! Wow!!! HAPPY Thanksgiving!!!!

Love all you RBFers!!!

Michele

Eva Holloway
    Participant

Teresa,
    I took some Udi’s bread to Dr. K and she was so excited about the soft bread, I then took her another loaf last time and she walked out the office saying ” I know what I have for lunch” My husband and I just smiled, we must have made it her day. She is really great.
    Glad you doing well, I am also lots better, still walking with a cane, but I think this will be for awhile, but I am also walking more upright.
    Yes, I am also thankful for the RBF and all the people that have helped.
    Have a great Thanksgiving weekend.
    Eva

Eva Holloway

Kim
    Participant

Thanks for taking the time to post, Theresa. Just wonderful that you’re doing so well. Enjoy! 🙂

Take care…..kim

Maz
    Keymaster

@Texas T. wrote:

My personal experience has been so very positive – I would openly recommend this course of treatment to anyone who has felt the devastating effects of this wicked and cruel disease.

Tersea, I’m so grateful to you for dropping by to share your remission story with us and just so happy to know you’re continuing to do so well! Thanks for sharing this gift of hope with everyone here and paying it forward in this way. Your post will inspire so many new folks just starting out. 😀

If you feel ready, would love to add your testimonial onto the main site and highlight your story in an upcoming edition of the eBulletin. Just let me know via PM when/if the time feels right. 😉

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.