Home Forums General Discussion HYPOPIGMENTATION AND SCLERODERMA

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    SarahB80
    Participant

HELLO AGAIN! I WAS CURIOUS AS TO HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HYPOPIGMENTATION ISSUES? HAVE THEY RESOLVED WITH TIME? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?

THANKS,
    SARAH

Krys
    Participant

Hi Sarah,
    I’m bumping your post up so that somebody can relate and answer.
    I started answering as soon as you had posted it, and I deleted before submitting, because I don’t really have SD, though I had some minor symptoms. I did have some hypopigmentation and hyperpigmentation. I don’t know if my NO pigment spots are what you are asking about. I’ve had them for many years and now that I’ve seen your post and checked them again, they are better: no pigmentation has changed into just lighter skin patches. Hyperpigmentation, which was fairly new (just 1 year) disappeared 2 months on AP. No more thickened, dark, stiff skin but it is still not quite normal: looks like patches of very subtle scar tissue.
    Hopefully, you’ll get some more knowledgeable answers.
    Warm wishes, Krys

mkbeeliever
    Participant

@SarahB80 wrote:

HELLO AGAIN! I WAS CURIOUS AS TO HOW MANY OF YOU HAVE HYPOPIGMENTATION ISSUES? HAVE THEY RESOLVED WITH TIME? IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE?

THANKS,
    SARAH

Sarah,
    My mom doesn’t have Hypo, she’s got Hyperpigmentation. Her skin is very dark. It seems to get better, then it seems she’s darker, then she’s lighter…it’s very strange. Not every part of her body is dark though. Just face, back of neck, tops of her forearms, back of her upper legs.

Michelle

rebeccaavazian
    Participant

Hi Sarah,

I have SD and have skin darkening. I have had SD going on five years now. About 2 years ago I was pretty much dark all over except my back. I have been on AP going on 3 years, and my AP doc said the skin darkening could be from the minocin as well as my SD. Today, my skin has loosened up from the tightness (still have a few tight skin bands) and skin color has gotten alot better. My forearms and hands are the darkest and ankle joints, knee joints, elbows and back of hamstrings are dark still. So my answer to your questions are YES ihave skin darkening, yes with time it has gotten better but not completely resolved. I dont think there is any kind of magic potion to help with hypo/hyperpigmentation, I just think being on AP has saved my life that my skin darkening is the least of my worries and my mother said it best, “she didnt care if I turned GREEN as long as my pain was gone”.
    Rebecca

mkbeeliever
    Participant

@rebeccaavazian wrote:

Hi Sarah,
    I just think being on AP has saved my life that my skin darkening is the least of my worries and my mother said it best, “she didnt care if I turned GREEN as long as my pain was gone”.
    Rebecca

Amen Rebecca! We don’t care what color she is as long as she has some quality of life! P.S. I hear that her bones are green now from the mino so on the inside she’s green!! :mrgreen:

chrysalis
    Participant

Hi I noticed dark black freckles appearing in between my toes after 2 weeks on mino(akamin) then they disappeared again, also patches of brown areas on my face, I am fair skinned with freckles so got a bit ecxited that all the brown patches would join up and I would have a suntan. No hope so now I just pretend they are gigantic beauty spots that are supposed to be there and a trade off for much, much less pain and increased movement from AP. Good luck.chrysalis

JOJO19551
    Participant

I have hyperpigmentation mainly on my legs. It almost looks like spots of black and blue that do not go away. My dermatologist said it is definitely from long term use of minocycline. She cut me back to one pill every other day. She claims it can go away but can take up to one year. I am hoping with the cut back of meds it will disappear.

mlouise
    Participant

Hi! As you can see from my picture, I am very dark. I never think I look that dark until I see a picture of myself with someone else. I am standing with my daughter and this picture was taken at the end of August, so she even has a suntan. I have also noticed dark (actually almost black skin on my ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, and back. My stomach is mottled with patches of light skin. I don’t think at this time my complexion is lighting up. I always consider myself a winter – cool color (blue eyes, very fair skin and blonde – now white hair.). Now I don”t know what I am, but as many of you stated at least I am alive and I can type. Thank God I find AP! MLouise

mkbeeliever
    Participant

@mlouise wrote:

Hi! As you can see from my picture, I am very dark. I never think I look that dark until I see a picture of myself with someone else. I am standing with my daughter and this picture was taken at the end of August, so she even has a suntan. I have also noticed dark (actually almost black skin on my ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders, and back. My stomach is mottled with patches of light skin. I don’t think at this time my complexion is lighting up. I always consider myself a winter – cool color (blue eyes, very fair skin and blonde – now white hair.). Now I don”t know what I am, but as many of you stated at least I am alive and I can type. Thank God I find AP! MLouise

Awww, MLouise!!!! I love your picture! Moms and daughters must stick together right? Glad to finally put a face to a name. Hope you are continuing to improve with each and every day! And yes, thank GOD for AP! Have a wonderful weekend!
    Blessings,
    Michelle

jochoa85
    Participant

Hi,
    I have hypo and hyper-pigmentation because of my SD. I’ve been on AP for 2 yrs now and it has loosened the skin a lot and as result the hypo/hyper-pigmentation has lessened drastically. I still have some faint signs of the hypopig but its pretty unnoticeable now. However, the hyperpig is still around…although its not as dark as it used to be. From what I’ve been told you can not get rid of the alterations of pigmentation…it can get better with time, it can even completely disappear once your sd resides. In the mean time I would suggest using sun blocker and minimizing exposure to the sun. I’ve heard that the sun can cause permanent hyper/hypo.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.