Home Forums General Discussion Hyperpigmentation

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Mumof3
    Participant

Hi,

I tested positive for scleroderma 12 years ago. I have been on Minocycline for 11 years. I take 209 mg daily. I feel great. Not really any symptoms other than positive blood tests. I have just started getting increased hyperpigmentation on my face. Just wondering if there is an alternative to minocycline or where to go from here?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

You could ask your doctor to prescribe clarithromycin instead of minocycline. Are you taking any other medications besides minocycline?

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Mumof3
    Participant

No I am just taking minocycline.

MarthaNH
    Participant

I thought I learned from this forum that if you take lots of vitamin C, that you avoid hyperpigmentation (when on minocin or minocycline)…. how much vitamin C do you take daily and how many years have you been taking that amount of vitamin C?

As of 1/8/2020: Solodyn 105mg MWF & Saturday, Valtrex (1 gram, 3x a day), Plaquenil (200mg 1x a day), Probiotics, Vit B, Calcium & Magnesium, D3 (10,000 per day), Zinc, Vitamin C (at least 5 grams a day), Glutathione, Klaire Labs Bi-Carb Formula (for increased alkaline) 4x a day. CurcuPlex-95 by Xymogen, 16+ oz of celery juice first thing in the morning (nothing added to it). Magnets. Acupuncture. Diagnosis: RA 1996 (which came on suddenly with Lyme infection).

"The journey IS the destination."

Mumof3
    Participant

I don’t take Vitamin C but would love to know the answer to that

PhilC
    Participant

No I am just taking minocycline.

Okay, that’s good. The reason I asked is that I would have checked for possible drug interactions for you, to make sure it would be safe for you to take clarithromycin.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

PhilC
    Participant

I’ve been taking at least 1000 mg of vitamin C every for many years, and I look like I was attacked by an ink pad. Fortunately, it’s not as bad as it sounds — I have a bunch of black discoloration on my feet and left ankle. I consider myself very lucky since it’s completely hidden by shoes and socks. I also have some very minor discoloration on my gums and lower lip.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Mumof3
    Participant

Did the Vitamin C help at all with the discolouration?

PhilC
    Participant

Did the Vitamin C help at all with the discolouration?

To be honest, I don’t really know since I have nothing to compare with. Even if it’s not helping at all, I would still take it because vitamin C is an important vitamin.

One of the other members (Lynne G.SD) here has used topical vitamin C to treat skin discolouration caused by minocycline. She has also used topical niacinamide.

See: https://www.roadback.org/forums/topic/should-i-stop-mino/#post-465098

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Mumof3
    Participant

Thank you that’s helpful. I bought niacimide and Vitamin C. Will give them a try.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.