Home Forums General Discussion Humira – cocked, locked and ready to rock

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Todd WI
    Participant

Hi,

It’s been a long time and I figured now was the perfect time for an update. After many years of trying antibiotic therapy, I’ve decided it’s time for a change. I got great relief from doxy within the first few weeks, but then after that there have been a lot of ups and downs. Lately it’s been too many downs and not enough ups.

It wasn’t an easy decision, but the progression of my disease forced me to do something different. So I’m under the care of a new Rheumy and my first Humira pens just got delivered. I’m “cocked, locked and ready to rock”.

My best to all and wish me luck!
    Todd

vinny
    Participant

Twice daily 100mg Minocycline worked well for me from June 2008 until 2012 when my pain level became unacceptable. In June 2013 Methotrexate was added and weaned back to a low Prednisone level. The Methotrexate and Prednisone seem to make the antibiotics mare effective. I added Azithromycin this year to get additional rest from Minocycline. Currently 7.5mg methotrexate weekly, 2.5mg Prednisone daily, 250mg Azithromycin M,T, W and 100mg Minocycline T,F,S,S.
    I am able to do the gym 3 days a week and golf at least 2 days a week. The weight machines at the gym are a big help to my range of motion. Most of my issues appear to be inflammation of the Enthesitis or Bursa.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

vinny
    Participant

Todd, keep us posted on how your progress goes on Humira. What is your out of pocket going to be using Humira. I am on Humana Medicare and they require a 33% copay for biologics, which I can’t even consider.

Psoriatic Arthritis: 100mg Minoz Minocycline TABLET daily; twice daily 400mg Pentoxifylline;125mcg Levotyroxine: Have been using some level of Minocycline since 2008

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Vinny,

I’m glad to hear you found something that works for you.

Todd

Todd WI
    Participant

Hi Vinny,

Ironically, it’s going to cost me only $5/month despite having a high deductible health plan. Something I didn’t know is that there are copay programs (think rebate) for all the biologics IF you have commercial insurance (plus some other criteria). Unfortunately there is some kind of anti-kickback rule which means the copay programs are not applicable if you are on Medicare or any other govt. plan.

So only $5/month, at least until the government or insurance companies or drug companies somehow kill the copay plans. I’ve been told they have been in place for a decade. The other thing that may bite me is when one of the drug companies comes out with “generic” biologic, called a biosimilar I think. Best guess is this will happen in a year or two.

Todd

richie
    Participant

Hi Todd —
    Good luck -got to stay proactive –this sounds like a logical decision for you —I have a good friend with PSA and he is doing fabulous on a biologic {enbrel}–keep us posted but good move —when I started with AP my clock was one year –I did see progress and kept with it but its not for everyone –
    Richie

Todd WI
    Participant

Thanks Richie! It’s certainly a big change.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.