Home Forums General Discussion How do you all take coconut oil-I just can’t stomach it!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PetRescue
    Participant

Hi everyone. Things are going well, but I think I may have run into some yeast or something. I know yeast is a common problem, and I have been taking plenty of probiotics, but I have been having some wrist pain and my fingers are tingly. Maybe yeast?

Anyway, I can’t take Diflucan, and I am going to start on GSE once I’m assured it’s safe for me. But I’m sure coconut oil is safe and although it might not be the best way to address yeast, it may be all I’ve got and it can’t hurt.

My problem is, I can’t stomach the darn coconut oil. It’s so nasty! I know I just have to, but does anyone have any secrets? Please? I choked on it this morning and couldn’t get it down. I took it solid from a spoon, and I think the texture was the problem. I was going to melt it, but didn’t want to use the microwave as I was afraid the heat would damage it. I know some cook with it, but I’d prefer to just take it mixed with something-maybe juice? Can I melt it in the microwave or on the stove?

Thanks for any ideas guys and happy 2011. I hope it’s a good one for everyone!

~jen

Maz
    Keymaster

@PetRescue wrote:

I’d prefer to just take it mixed with something-maybe juice?

Do hope all is well with you and you are feeling well. Happy 2011 to you and yours, too!

Yes, this is how I take coconut oil…I make a smoothie and add it to that. Reaaaallly nice, adding a subtle coconutty taste to it. Green smoothies are really healthy, providing high nutient content and less work for the gut to break down. You can find a link to this in the RA/Diet article in the Summer ebulletin:

https://www.roadback.org/EmailBlasts/ebulletin_summer10.html

gordbentley
    Participant

well i would never use a microwave for starters. just read up on them and what they do to your white blood cells. my family threw ours out a year ago. second i would just start cooking with the oil. use it in your salads, pastas ect and i would use it cooking on low heat as well so you do not damage it. what type of probiotic were you taking? you should maybe read the article i posted on probiotics and the one i take. its a few pages back by now. as well the product candida SAP is what i took when i first started natural treatments. and i did find some mild improvement with diet and i went off the candida diet and i now find no sensitivities to foods. im not really sure i had any? but i did improve slightly with the diet i was on. now im on mino and i just take probiotics 2 hours after i take my pill and the day after i take them as well. i would take probiotics even if i didnt have RA they are very good for balancing your immune system if you take the right ones (hence the article i posted that you should read). anywho hope i helped ๐Ÿ˜›

Nell2
    Participant

Seconding Maz’s suggestion of smoothies. In the warm seasons I usually make them for breakfast for the family, with coconut milk, whatever fruit we’ve got, some raw eggs, and extra coconut oil and some ice. Yum!

And we cook with it everyday. Homemade French fries are fantastic with coconut oil! And any roasted veg — butternut squash, sweet potatoes….

But off the spoon, I agree, ew.

Nell

mj47
    Participant

I eat coconut oil every day in my hot cereal. It melts in there & I add rice milk & cinnamon…delish!
    The solid form is not very palatable to me…I don’t even really like it in smoothies because I can still feel a waxy type texture.
    My husband uses it like butter on his morning english muffins with homemade jelly. So tasty.
    I’ve cooked with it plenty…it’s a fabulous substitute for butter in baking & makes stir fry taste super fresh & exotic.
    ~mj

aynurrzepa
    Participant

I also cannot stand the solid form of CO so I melt mine first using hot water – i simply let my jar sit in hot water until it’s liquid and take 3 tbsp directly, not mixing with anything. I find having a tiny bit of raw honey straight after helps with the aftertaste… I use it in cooking wherefer possible, but certiain dishes simply cannot be cooked with it as it totally ruins the intended taste. It’s great to fry potato and fish as well as make curries though! Today I deep fried falafel (arabic chick pea “meat”balls) and used for frying lamb burgers – was very good.

zakdog
    Participant

Not sure it is much better but apple cider vinegar is also great for yeast….and Greek yoguRt, which is ok if you put it in a smoothies, also there are other meeds besides diflucan, have you tried any? Is it systemic yeast or vaginal. I am a registered nurse and work with an obgyn so yeast is our life lol. Drug rep came in the other day brought in a new topical product said it is great, do u want me to check what it is called on Monday, let me know, I will ask for suggestions at work too joann

Kim
    Participant

My problem is, I can’t stomach the darn coconut oil. It’s so nasty! I know I just have to, but does anyone have any secrets? Please? I choked on it this morning and couldn’t get it down. I took it solid from a spoon, and I think the texture was the problem. I was going to melt it, but didn’t want to use the microwave as I was afraid the heat would damage it. I know some cook with it, but I’d prefer to just take it mixed with something-maybe juice? Can I melt it in the microwave or on the stove?

Hi Jen,

I’m a fan of everything coconut and have found lost of good recipes here:

http://www.FreeCoconutRecipes.com

Parisa posted on another thread about a site: The Spunky Coconut, also loaded with recipes

A wonderful gluten-free site and blog is: http://www.elanaspantry.com (she uses a lot of almond flour)

Take care…..kim

Valsmum
    Participant

I’ve used it in stead of butter when I made eggs and once I used it for a grilled cheese sandwich. I used it in baking too, it worked in my banana bread instead of vegetable oil. I think it would turn my stomach too if I had it all by itself or in juice. The other day I put some cocnut oil on my griddle and then cut up some collard greens and fried the collard green in and it tasted suprisingly good. I was trying to add some dark greens to my diet.
    Take care!

Nonnie
    Participant

I added just a bit to my coffee along with unsweetened almond milk and it was not bad at all. I am trying to cut sugar, so looking for something to substitute in coffee besides stevia.

maz.aust
    Participant

& just to be different I use a little in my Pina Coladas !!!

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

PetRescue
    Participant

๐Ÿ˜€ Pina Colada’s-yum!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Lots of good ideas. I am gluten, sugar, coffee and alcohol free though, so that limits my options some.

I tried the smoothie-it was actually really good, but the oil solidified with the frozen berries I used. Didn’t think of that-next time must thaw them first. Although it was better, chunks of coconut oil, not so good ๐Ÿ™‚

I have got to cook/bake more. There are so many options for GF stuff, but I stick to the easy stuff, lots of chicken and steamed veggies. That coconut website-those recipes sound great. I hate baking though ๐Ÿ™

Thank you Joann, that is really kind of you-I was just throwing out the yeast thing as I was having a tiny little flare in my wrist. I’ve tried to cut out as much sugar as I can, except fruit. I’ve got to eat something! I don’t think it is a typical yeast infection, but was worried about systemic. I had an infection once after starting on mino, and it was bad. It’s nothing like that. I could mention it to my OBGYN today. But sometimes they don’t consider systemic yeast. My LLMD said yesterday I would know if I had yeast (itching and fun stuff). So maybe I don’t after all.

And Nord-thanks for the warnings about the microwave. I actually never use it, but couldn’t think of any other way to melt it quickly without using a pot on the stove and burning it. I think I can put it in the toaster oven though.

~jen

JOJO19551
    Participant

I am a huge fan of coconut oil, use it on my skin, cook with it and ingest it. I buy coconut oil capsules at drugstore.com and swallow 3 capsules per day, all at one time. Also, you can buy coconut oil drinks in small cans to drink with a variety of added flavors. Take it any way you can. JoAnn

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.