Home Forums General Discussion Hot knee!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lizz
    Participant

Hi to all and congrats on the new board, it looks great! I have been on a lyme protocol for the last year on and off, I have given myself breaks from it due to high ESR. The last 3 weeks, I have been taking 200 mg. of diflucan a day, along with the doxy, plaquenil, 3 mg pred. (slowly weening) and 2 advil a day. I have been feeling better overall, but since the diflucan started, I’ve noticed alot of waves of heat in my right knee, the knee that was the start of this disease for me. I’ve also been told that I have osteoarthritis in this knee, along with the RA. I haven’t felt heat in a joint in three years- does anyone think this is disease progression, herxing, or what? I don’t want to up the pred, I want to get off it. Other than this, things have at least stabilized with some joint damage in 2 fingers and two toes. (happened before diagnosis for the most part). Any laypatient input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Maz
    Keymaster

Hi Lizz,

My best fellow patient guess is that you’re having a good response to the Shardt Protocol for Lyme and it’s likely herxing as a result of the introduction of the Diflucan.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15337633

http://www.prohealth.com/me-cfs/blog/boardDetail.cfm?id=550313

Heat in the joint, however, is a sign of inflammation, which can cause damage, regardless of whether it’s herxing or flaring. So, really important to do what you can to keep the inflam under control, if you can. You mention not wanting to up your pred, which is contraindicated for Lyme, anyway, so you might want to call your LLMD and ask if there is an anti-inflammatory they can suggest to help you through this patch.

Otherwise, so happy to hear that you seem to be turning a corner, Lizz…it’s been a long, tough journey for us both, but we’re making strides! 😀

Lizz
    Participant

Maz, thanks for your reply, yes, this is a really slow road to recovery, two steps forward, one step back, etc. But considering the fact I was in bed/on the couch in 2009, I know things have improved somewhat. I can walk (not long distances) have energy (despite anemia) and am less depressed and more involved now with my family. I often think the worst of it is over.The tweaking of the meds is the constant issue day by day. Today, I’m not feeling the “heat” so hopefully this incident has passed. Thanks again for your support!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.