Home Forums General Discussion hormones for RA?

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kcdrake
    Participant

Hi,
    I just wanted to see if anyone else has been prescribed or had success with hormones… My mom’s doctor has her on ALOT of very expensive hormones that you melt under your lip. So far (a few months) we have not noticed a difference. I would appreciate any advice or experience….

m.
    Participant

Hi kcdrake,

My doctor ordered a baseline saliva test for sex hormones, and based on the results recommended a very low dose of over-the-counter bioidentical progesterone. Then, a few months later, a follow-up test to see how I was doing on that dose.

Taking the OTC progesterone curbed heavy peri-menopausal bleeds, and in my opinion has helped me ease into menopause. I’m sleeping well and have not had any hot flashes (like some of my friends report).

It seems to me, based on reading forums and talking to friends, that it’s common for practitioners to prescribe supplemental hormones without baseline or follow-up testing. “Go by symptoms!” It’s hard to imagine practitioners taking the same approach with blood pressure medication, or thyroid hormones, for example.

Good luck to your mom.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.