Home Forums General Discussion High Vit D Dosing and RA

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jaminhealth
    Participant

Maybe most here know this but some of us on another board are discussing high Vit D dosing specifically for
    Hashimoto Disease…..This is from May Clinic:

What’s more, there are indeed studies using 50,000 IU vitamin D daily and 100,000 IU daily for short periods to replete vitamin D. There is also info on taking 100,000 IU daily for certain conditions. It’s important to realize that this is not a high number. International Units are small. 50,000 IU equals 250 micrograms, yes MICROgrams.

This is not the large amount people mistakenly think it is. If you look on Mayo Clinic, they clearly state that people have used 50,000 IU daily for a year for certain conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitami … ION=dosing). So the fact that the OP took 50,000 IU a day for a little while and is now taking 20,000 IU daily is not shocking, ridiculous or unbelievable.

PhilC
    Participant

50,000 IU of vitamin D daily is a high dose. Many people are taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D, but they are taking it once a week. One really should not be taking 50,000 IU of vitamin D daily without having one’s blood level of vitamin D closely monitored, preferably under a doctor’s supervision.

The above link to the article on the Mayo Clinic web site is broken. I believe that this is the correct link:
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/vitamin-d/NS_patient-vitamind/DSECTION=dosing

I must say that I do not trust the information in that article since it cites no references. I strongly suspect that the article contains some mistakes but there is no easy way for me to verify my suspicion due to the lack of references.

Recommended reading:
    50000 IU vitamin D daily toxic after 3 months
    Vitamin D Toxicity
    Vitamin D supplementation

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Valsmum
    Participant

Jamin,
    Some of us are discussing this same article on vit d at kickas.org. It is interesting and although it sounds like a lot of vit d I watched a documentary called Food Matters and they had some refernces about vitamin overdose and how rare it is in regard to the overdose of prescription medicine. Have you ever seen the documentary Food Matters?
    Take care!!!! 😉

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.