Home Forums General Discussion high liver enzymes and azythromyacin

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

I have never stopped the antibiotics because of the liver being effected, Ijust ease up a little on the particular thing that is causing the problem at that time..  I have alway had this problem right from the start.  The liver enzymes rise no matter what I take but they settle down in time. Yes it can be scary but the liver is stronger than you think so long as you are not an alcoholic or have some liver disease.  This of course needs to be checked out initially.  I  can tell by the way I feel if it is under stress.  I have got used to it and just ease off.  The whole thing has been a learning curve for me. 

I cannot advise you or anyone else what to do, Am not a medical person  just let you know of my experience.

Your Dr. would probably have stopped me a long time ago and I would have been in big trouble by now.  I have had to use some common sense and blunder my way through it all.  You learn a lot.

The morphine seemed to stop the problems with swelling, and pain, also allowed me to increase the dose quicker.  Do not know why.  It just does.  It is much safer so long as you are not addicted to alcohol or cigarettes or anything else for that matter.  Would be much safer I would think than steriods or many other painkillers that constipate you and cause gut to bleed.  I do not like it but it has helped me get through the jungle so I can solve the problem and survive.

Have just had to go back on the minomycin, the erythromycin was not good enough for me either so will just have to put up with the black face and use makeup.  I have no choice.  My heart needs it. 

My biggest problem is fungal at the moment so I am working on that.

I hope you sort it out. Easing up on the  dose will help I am sure.  None of us are the same and I think the least you can get away with so long as you feel well, the better.  Unfortunately I needed a great deal which made it very trying and difficult.

Fran
    Participant

Hi All-  I have already done IV clindymyacin and it worked wonders.  Dr. S suggested oral clindy which I don't want to take at this point. 

I have been off zith for 1 week now.  I currently take nothing and I have no symptoms.  So I'm not herxing either.  My hope is to go back on zith but we'll see.  I haven't had to take anything for pain since the clindy IV last August as I've been pretty much pain free except for the stretch of mino-sensitivity I had prior to switching from mino to zith.

I've kept a journal of symptoms since this whole thing started Dec. 2006.  I can't believe the difference this spring compared to last spring when I could hardly function.  It is huge! 

I have no symptoms of liver distress except itchy skin, but I've had itchy skin since this whole thing started too.  My feeling is that I have the type of body that can't take much of anything except a vitamin and some fish oil.  I have added milk thistle and I've been taking probiotics since this started but I just have an extremely sensitive system that can hardly take an ibuprofen without some kind of reaction so I just can't seem to take anything.  I always think of what Dr. Weil says–the body strives to be in balance, you just have to give it the tools.  Those words of Dr. Weil were words I thought of every day since I became sick and I've spent the past 15 months searching for what my body needs to rebalance itself.  I went through a supplement phase where I was trying several things and I felt it was overloading my body.  Now I just have to figure this latest thing out—whether my body can continue to tolerate the antibiotics or whether its telling me I've had enough.  Its so hard to tell and its all so confusing without proper guidance.

Fran you most definitely will get itchy skin on Zith without a systemic antifungal. That will eliminate it.  Please think about seeing to this, as it is quite dangerous to ignore.  Avoiding yeast will help.  I know that is difficult but that issue is creating havoc world wide, especially when you are on abx treatment as well. It is up to you of course what you do.  Just my experience of it.

Donners
    Participant

Fran,

I'm having the same issues that you had back in April rgarding you liver enzymes being elevated.  Did your Rheumy ever mention autoimmune hepatitis?  My has suggested this and I'm scared to death.  I've been off minocin for 2 weeks now and had another blood test today to see if the enzymes went down.  Was just wondering how you ar doing and if they returned to normal. 

linda
    Participant

Just reinforcing the milk thistle suggestion. I've noticed a big improvement in the pain I've had in the upper right quad. of my abdomen, and my stomach pain is also better. My liver enzymes were a little high in Sept., but are now back in the normal range. Good luck,

linda

A Friend
    Participant

[user=123]Fran[/user] wrote:

I'm so bummed!  I have been doing so well with virtually no symptoms since stopping mino and switching to azythromyacin after having a bad reaction to mino.  But now  my rheumy told me my liver enzymes have skyrocketed and my ANA is still high.  I'm really bummed cuz I've been doing so well and having no symptoms.  She wants me to stop azythromyacin for 2 weeks and then get re-tested.  I'm goign to let Dr. S know this tomorrow.

Fran, I just sent you a PM, then decided to post it here, as we may have others who are new and might possibly benefit from the information. 

Hi Fran,

The following is a link to the page and my post that includes information on this link.  If you go to the site for “Keep Hope Alive” on the internet, it truly amazed me at the capabilities of this drink, back about 1998-99 when I first found it for an ALS patient. 

http://www.rbfbb.org/view_topic.php?id=451&forum_id=1&highlight=keep+hope+alive

Since that time, I've even seen it recommended by Dr. Garth Nicolson as part of his recommendations for helping with AP herxheimer reactions. 

As a longtime local support group leader, I'm aware patients/members have been given this information and reported back that it helped with all sorts of troublesome things, including sleep when at least 1/2 of the morning drink was saved and drunk at bedtime.  Another thing I overlooked early on, was that when lecithin is added to it, it helps with neuropathy (I hope I'm remembering the right thing the lecithin addresses).  The main thing I think it can help you with is the detoxing of the liver & bile which is where the toxins from die-off, etc., are dumped into the liver to process these toxins. 

Something I didn't notice back then (or even know anything about) was the positive effect this drink has upon the pH balance of people's bodies in a short period of time… a real plus, me thinks, as an improved pH greatly improves the pain level and symptoms of patients. 

Best to you,

AF

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ high liver enzymes and azythromyacin’ is closed to new replies.