Home Forums General Discussion Hi from Canada

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    lov4life
    Participant

I am sure this topic is discussed again and again here.. it’s been a few years since I have been active on this site.. a little history on myself… about 18 years ago I went on Minocycline for my RA. It gave me remission for about 15 glorious years.. then the brand name drug was pulled out of the Canadian system, I relapsed badly.. I am desperate for information on how to obtain the brand name drug… does anyone have reliable information on how to get it ? I understand that Buylow Drugs in Canada did have it available but now do not ?? Is there any country in the world where I could obtain it ? I would be willing to travel .. maybe it won’t work for me the second time since I stopped taking it ? I tried the generic brand with zero results .. any help or information is so appreciated!!

Jacqs

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hey there,nice to see you again.Whatever you do,do not get APO (apotex) as it does not work.Until recently we had Teva and it worke just fine for my scleroderma.Now even that is not availably but they still have doxy.I started digging aroun as the rep. at Teva told me that there are a few small companies that produce good quality meds.From what I see Sandoz makes it but I have not contacted them yet.The vets at our local clinic say the same thing about APO.I sent them a message asking if they were going to change their formula soon and gave them hell as MY SD came back like a hurrycane in just a few weeks when I mistakenly took it a few years ago becuase they capsules were identical to Lederly.

Spiffy1

I just wish this wasn’t such a problem. It has to boil down to money and power somehow. It always does. I am so sorry to hear you are facing this. When they switched me I broke out in a rash. When they switched me to yet another new one I broke out in another rash. My smart doctor said he did not think I was allergic to the minocyclene but to the different fillers. So I get mine compounded now. It cost about 100 a month but the only filler is methyl-cellulose and I don’t have a bad reaction to it. It is always nice to know this Avenue is available.

Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes, etc.
    RA Factor 71 in Jan 2015 down to 25 as of September 2017
    DR4/DQ8 HLA...biotoxin illness
    IGG food allergy to wheat, egg, and dairy...probably all grains
    Vit. C&D, probiotics, milk thistle, turmeric, fish oil, methyl b 12, methyl folate, digestive enzymes, Candisol, Ubiquinol, berberine, chlorella, Moducare, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens, Paractin
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM positive Lyme, minoMWF

Mumof3
    Participant

So frustrating. I am in Ontario. Have called different pharmacies and they tell me apotex is the only generic available. I was told Teva and Sandoz are discontinued. I called buylowdrugs but was told they can’t fill it if the prescription comes from a Canadian doctor. I just called a compounding pharmacy to see if that was an option. Waiting to hear back. I also called Bausch Health who told me brand name is still on backorder and they don’t know when it will be available.

I have a prescription for doxy. Not sure if that would be better than apotex minocycline. Not sure what to do….

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Mum;
    I can vouch for Teva doxy as it is far better than APO mino.It only took a couple weeks for my SD and vasculitis to come back full force when my pharmacy game me APO by mistakt.I am doing just as well with doxy as when I was taking mino

LisaHf
    Participant

Hi, everyone….My son has been taking minocycline for 3 years now and just ran into the same issue. He was taking Teva and was told last week that it was no longer available. The only option is APO. What would be the ramifications of having him switch over to Teva doxy? Any side effects, etc that he’d have to be aware of since he’s never been on doxy? So frustrating to only have one generic option now available 🙁

Thank you for any advice!

PhilC
    Participant

Mark’s Marine Pharmacy still had Teva-Minocycline (100 mg only) when I contacted them a month ago. They’re in Vancouver.

Contact info:

https://rxcanada4less.com/
    Toll Free 1-877-888-9265
    Local Phone 604-325-9265

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

LisaHf
    Participant

The only minocycline brand I’ve been able to find is APO here in Canada. My son ended up going on it back in February, but feels like he is regressing. Has anyone in Canada been able to get a hold of anything other than APO? We tried Mark’s Marine Pharmacy as per Phil’s suggestion back in February but they informed us that Teva was no longer available at that time.

Thanks!

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Lisa;
    Same problem here.APO is the only mino left in CanadaI opted for Teva doxy and it’s working just as well.

Linda L
    Participant

The vast majority of raw materials which go into a prescription drug are produced mostly in China and India ….

RA tried everything: Methotraxate, Arava, Humira. Pneumonia three times. Anemia. Very low iron. Hypothyroidism
    AP from April 2014 till August 2015. No luck.
    Current medications: Natural thyroid, Mobic, supplements,
    vitamins and minerals.
    MTHFR heterozygous

LisaHf
    Participant

Thanks for the replies, Lynne and Linda. Sounds like my son will need to look into switching to doxycycline.

cosmo
    Participant

Hello, You can try ukmeds.co.uk for Mylan Minocin MR, that is the brand minocin I was getting from buylowdrugs

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.