Home Forums General Discussion Herxing??

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Cangirl
    Participant

Hi Everyone:

Thanks to all those that responded to my previous inquiries. I have been reading the board diligently to get as much info as possible to be an educated advocate for myself and AP.
    I have been on minocin (50mg. M,W,F) since April 17th. Dr. S. was very kind to write back with his recommendation of 200mg. M,W,F. I started this past Wednesday, April 24, taking 100mg as I thought I should go slow to increase. I seem to be tolerating it well to this point.
    Being new to the diagnosis of RA, I am only on Celebrex. I didn’t fill the prescriptions that my rheumatologist gave me as I wanted to research about them (so glad I did). I feel so fortunate to have found The Road Back Foundation and I am now on the AP journey thanks to my pain clinic doctor who agreed to try AP, although he doesn’t know much about it. I did give him lots of information from this website though.
    My question today is about herxing. I have been reading the forum about it, but still not sure if it is what I am experiencing. I have been in a flare for 6 days now. It is more intense than any I have had. Is it possibIe to have a herx reaction already? I am a bit scared as I am not sure if my RA is suddenly getting worse or it is the reaction I want. Should I maybe stay at the 50mg instead of the 100mg at this point?
    Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Kelee

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Kelee
    Yes it is very likely that what you are experiencing is a herx. This can happen when there is any change to dosage/days. The question is: is it tolerable and are you able to function? Also, if the inflammation is too much, it will be counterproductive, as the antibiotic will not be able to reach its target. Only you will know the answer to this.

Detoxing is very important and will help you through the process of cell die-off. Drinking copious amounts of filtered or bottled water will help flush toxins from the body – Maz also listed a whole raft de-tox methods she has found useful in her Personal History thread (link below):
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=301&p=60610#p60610

If you think this increased amount is causing you too much pain and/or inflammation, you could consider having a week’s washout, then re-strarting at 50mg, then gradually increasing, perhaps with one day of the 3 at 100mg to begin with and see how your body responds to this. Herxing is a good thing, as long as it is not too severe and you can still function. The idea is to kill pathogens, not the patient!

You could, of course, also re-contact Dr S for his input.

Hope this helps.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Cangirl
    Participant

Thanks Linnie! Yes it is tolerable and not too much inflammation, other than my right hand where it has always come and gone. All just kind of scary. I will check out Maz’s de-tox methods and start implementing them right away.
    Thanks so much, again for your help!
    Kelee

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Kelee – have a quick read through my testimonial (link to it in my signature). I found it helpful for me to welcome the herx. It really confirmed to me that it was working as expected and that I had found an answer that both resonated and was borne out by what happened, versus a regime with no answers and that simply addressed symptoms.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Kelee,

It sounds to me like you increased your dose too soon and too abruptly. This message that I posted last month contains info that may be helpful: How I slowly increased my dose of minocycline.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Cangirl
    Participant

Linnie,
    Thank you so much for your story! You have been on quite a journey. A great deal of it makes so much sense to me, personally and puts a lot of my mind at ease. I have yet to be diagnosed with a specific form of arthritis, but I do go to see my rheumatologist next week. She will have my blood work results that she did. I do remember from The Arthritis Breakthrough that Dr. Brown said that arthritis is arthritis no matter what.
    I am now convinced that this is the herx reaction. I didn’t realize that it could make you nauseated too, as I have felt that this past week. I work in a school so I thought I was just catching the latest bug going around. I truly feel sad for your mom. I know it is hard sometimes though for the older generations to believe anything other than what their doctors tell them.
    We live at opposite ends of the world and you have helped me a great deal to better understand this disease and treatment! Thank you so much!
    Kelee

Cangirl
    Participant

Thanks Phil,
    I actually read your post yesterday. Should have looked sooner. I will keep it at 50mg for 4 wks. before I try increasing the dosage. I don’t have the tablets but the capsules, so that is why the dose doubled. Your posts are very informative, especially for me being new to RA. Thanks so much!
    Kelee

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.