Home Forums General Discussion Herx Exhaustion

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jain26
    Participant

Just over two weeks in to my Minocin treatment, most of my herx pain and visible inflammation are gone, as well as is the searing headache in my left temple (why just the left?). I hope this is a good sign, and not a sign that we’re missing the mark. What is close to disabling me is the severe exhaustion. I’m so tired all the time, and my head isn’t clear at all. I’m normally sharp, upbeat and energetic, so am really getting dishearted thinking this will go on for months on end. I’m taking extra vitamin C, krill, and astaxanthin, am drinking a lot of bottled and RO water, am taking Redmond sea salt baths, and am taking Aleve or Ibuprofen to reduce inflammation. I’m taking Minocin 100mg 1/day 3 – 5 times per week at this point. Just when I start to feel the fog lift it seems time to take another pill. I’ve read through some past posts but am confused by the different options. Is there anything else I can take or do to help clear the toxins from my body and reduce the herx?

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Single mom, full-time employed Financial Analyst, part-time grad student.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)
    Weight: Increase of 25% over the past two years

jasregadoo

Hi Jain26,

I’m sure others will chip in with suggestions on detoxing. I drink a lot of water and take milk thistle to support my liver. Regarding your exhaustion, I think that’s fairly common. I had to take a nap every day for the first few months. I’m very fortunate in that I work from home and my daughter is an adult, so I was able to do so. Take heart that the exhaustion DOES lift, though likely at a different time for most patients. For me it was maybe 2 months in.

I’m so glad to hear you’re not having so much pain and inflammation! That’s great news, especially so early in your treatment.

Hang in there! Julie

maz.aust
    Participant

I still use this to reduce herx reactions: maybe try it??

RECIPE FOR WHOLE LEMON/OLIVE OIL DRINK
    (Rapidly heals Neuropathy and promotes weight gain by detoxifying the liver and normalizing
    saliva pH values)
    Into a blender, add 1/2 a lemon (cut-up) including the rind and pulp. Be sure to
    first wash the lemon well and scrape off markings from artificial coloring. To the
    Blender, add the cut up lemon plus one Tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    and one cup of Water or orange or other fruit juice. Blend at high speed for one
    minute. Pour through a strainer (screen type) to remove pulp. Use a spatula to
    press the pulp. Discard the pulp. Drink it all at once.
    If you have problems sleeping, drink it just before you retire to your bedroom at night.
    It will help you get a good night’s sleep. The therapeutic value of this drink comes
    from the whole lemon and the extra-virgin olive oil. The orange juice or other fruit
    juice is added as a sweetener. You may use 1 cup of any kind of fruit juice that you
    desire. However, if you have thrush or yeast overgrowth, avoid fruit juice which
    stimulates growth of yeast. It is better to use plain water.
    Note: Extra Virgin Olive Oil is cold pressed. Light olive oil is heat processed and may
    not have the same benefits. I would suggest checking with your local health food store
    for a high quality cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.

Lemon Juice and Olive Oil Flushes Toxins from the Liver.
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil increases the flow of bile from the Liver. This helps the liver
    get rid of accumulated toxins and poisons. Lymph fluid then drains into the liver for
    processing and eliminating waste products of cellular metabolism. Some persons have
    reported that just drinking lemonade reduces the size of their lymph nodes. The
    mechanism of how lemons do this is not known.

Dec07: Diagnosed PRA, (CTD; Fibromyalgia; suspected Lyme):
    Mar08: Diet to heal gut/bolster immune system (no gluten, dairy, sulphites or sugar)

Jan 2018: ABX Mon/Wed/Fri (started AP 2008)
    1/2 x 150mg Roxithromycin(Biasig), 1/2 x 150mg Clarithromycin (Klacid),
    1/2 x Fungillin, 1 x 250mg Cephalexin (Keflex)

All off days Probiotics

Misty
    Participant

Hi Jain26,
    Have you thought about making additional restrictions to your diet? Brown and Mercola did stress the importance of dietary measures and their effect on herxing.Many autoimmune patients have found that normal paleo is not enough and found a great difference going on AIP (anti inflammatory paleo).

Jain26
    Participant

Thanks, everyone. I’ve already been on anti-inflammatory paleo for a while (organic, grassfed, lots of coconut and olive oil – though occasional nuts), but will look into some of the other suggestions. I do think coffee (even if organic, through an unbleached filter, with RO water and into a Chemex) is a problem for me that I need to end now. I’ve reduced but still have one cup a day. The exhaustion is getting a little better. Sea Salt baths seem to help, but they are drying my skin out some so I have to use oil to counter that. Even though I take a prescription probiotic, I’ve added in Bragg apple cider vinegar a couple times a week. Seems to be helping my gut.

It’s now been about a month on Minocin. However, I’m still somewhat tired (staying awake in the evenings better though), and feeling pretty down. I’m good at fighting the feeling down (call it plucky, or tenacious, or that I bury things), but am still feeling it a lot. So, I wonder how much of the fatigue is me being tired and how much is me being suddenly depressed. I see that until I stablilize I need to de-stress my life, so am looking at job options, and plan not to take that summer course I need to take to graduate next Spring. Degree won’t help me if I’m too tired to work…

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, 2002, synthetic T3 and T4 (previously Nature-throid and Armour) since diagnosis.
    Rheumatoid Arthritis, 2010, Enbrel 5/2011- 3/2016. Transition to Minocin as of 2/2016.
    Σ = Tired.

Supplements: Multi, C, Ferronyl, Krill, B6, VSL3 Probiotic, DHEA microtroche, D3/K2.
    Diet: Paleo, organic, grassfed. Dairy allergy, avoid soy and grains (esp. wheat)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Jain26
    You are very early on your AP treatment road. Some people do not even start to experience a herxheimer response (apparent worsening due to cell die-off) until about where you are now. You need to give this treatment time, particularly as you have been on other treatments before. This is a slow road to greater wellbeing (in some cases it has even been called glacial). Sounds like you are doing good adjunctive things for yourself. Ensure you drink loads of (pure) water to help flush toxins and any other methods of your choice to de-tox and remember patience is a key component

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

CMS12
    Participant

Hi Jain26

I too am at about one month. I started herxing one week in and am still herxing. My knees are the size of softballs and I am struggling to walk. I have horrific occipital headaches. And, of course, all the other stuff….can’t reach, can’t unscrew bottles, knuckles on my hands are huge, etc.

I tell you this in hope that you will stay the course. I am on my third round of AP. I started when I first got RA in 2000 and did go into partial remission but I hadn’t found Dr. Brown or Road Back at that point and didn’t really understand AP. My rheumatologist was the head doctor for Enbrel research and I trusted him so I switched to Enbrel which worked for about 3 years. Then I added diet which helped but by 2008 I was worse than ever. Fortunately I found Dr.Brown and Road Back so I started AP in April 2009. I knew to expect a rough road back. By December of 2010 I was in remission. However, I switched to generic Minocycline in 2014 which just hasn’t worked for me so I just started back on brand Minocin a month ago.

I don’t know how long it will take for you to see improvement but I believe after 3 months you may start to see some good days. That’s what I noticed before. As for remission that takes at least a year and sometimes longer.

It does work and the fact that you’re herxing is a good sign.good luck. Cindy.

Jain26
    Participant

Thanks, CMS12. I’m sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort. I hope you also feel better soon. Fortunately, I’m on brand Minocin (green capsule with tiny beads inside). I seemed to start Herxing after only a few days in. It’s been about six weeks now. I tend to have a headache each morning, but most days I can end it with Ibuprofen or Excedrin Migraine. Still feeling very exhausted, also, not enjoying how my body seems to be eliminating toxins through every pore. 😛

Σ = Tired.

CMS12
    Participant

Yeah the herxing is a drag but when the good days come it’s all worth it. My remission was diagnosed by my rheumy in December of 2010 but it actually came much sooner. I started on Minocin in April 2008 and by fall 2008 I was noticing significant improvement. I would say I was in remission within one year. Now that I’m not there anymore I am stunned by how devastating this disease can be. I was able to do pretty much everything before my recent backslide. Not 100 percent but at least 90. It was incredible.

It is so good that you are able to get Minocin. I’ve tried 2 different generics and they just didn’t work for me even at a higher dose. So many of us are struggling with getting brand Minocin from what I’m reading on the board. I know it works for me and I’m grateful I’ve got it. My insurance approved it for the next year so I’m going to stockpile it.

Hope you continue to improve. Cindy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.