Home Forums General Discussion HELP! No more Stiefel Minocin!!!!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

No doubt this has been address already but I was told today that the Canadian pharmacy where Ive been getting my Minocin (Brand name by Stiefel) no longer can get the brand name Minocin. I saw on line that Stiefel no longer makes Minocin. HELP!! Is this true? What are my other options? I have used this medication for over 10 years and have had such wonderful success (no RA symptonms AT ALL!) I live in San Diego, Ca.
    Please advise…Im almost out of Minocin and cant afford $10 per capsule but I dont want to use the generic. Thank you, Alicia

kater
    Participant

Hi Alicia
    I have been posting on this problem and spent a week trying to get several months’ supply from various local pharmacies as there seemed to be nothing left online. I understand GSK has bought Stiefel but getting mixed messages about if or when they will produce Minocin. It seems you are in a better position in the US than we are in Canada as you can get products from the UK. I was speaking with Northwest Pharmacy in Langley BC and they told me they can order a product called Aknemin from Meda. Some kind folks on this site researched that for me and told me that this was a good product, comparable to Steifel. A person at the local compounding pharmacy also told me they could fill gel caps for me with pure powdered minocycline with no fillers and I think that may be better than generic. Hope that gives you a starting place to do a little research for yourself.
    Best of luck!
    Kate from Canada

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

Thank you, Kate! This gives me some options. I do appreciate your reply very much!
    Alicia

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Alicia,

This pharmacy sells “Minocin”:
    http://www.northwestpharmacy.com/ProductSearch.aspx?s=minocin

I’ve heard that it is not really Minocin, though, it’s Aknemin. Aknemin is similar to Minocin, but it is not the exact same thing.

Another option is you may be able to buy Minocin tablets from Mexico. I don’t know if they sell Minocin capsules in Mexico, but I am fairly certain that they sell Minocin tablets there.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

Brilliant! I will try that…and have a couple of margaritas there too!
    Thanks! Alicia

kater
    Participant

You are way ahead of me Phil! I am heading to Mexico in March and was planning to check it out because of course there is no prescription required for antibiotics there. I am sure I will have a little better idea what I am doing by then and will let you know what I find out. I have just completed one month on AP and amazingly the last couple of days my hands have been feeling really good and my forearms, while not quite soft as a baby’s behind and definitely softer than an old boot! Yeah AP!
    kate
    ps. much to my doctor’s surprise the mycoplasma test came back positive. He actually conceded that it is likely the mycoplasma triggeriing the SD and therefore the AP will work. Progress, and HOPE! 😀

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

Mazensmummy
    Participant

Hey,

I live in the Middle East and can just walk into a pharmacy and buy original Israeli brand Minocycline without a script. It costs me 30 shekels. I am more then willing to send it to anyone that is having trouble getting hold of it. I don’t want to sound like a creep, but just thought I’d throw it out there. I’m not interested in making money, just want to help.

Suzanne
    Participant

Stiefel news:

http://www.pharmalot.com/2011/12/sec-charges-glaxo-unit-former-ceo-with-fraud/#comments

“You never know what can happen after you buy a company. But the US Securities and Exchange Commission has charged Stiefel Laboratories, which GlaxoSmithKline bought two years ago, with using low valuations for stock buybacks between November 2006 and April 2009, according to a complaint filed today in federal court. Employees allegedly lost more than $110 million based on misleading valuations.”

Mom of teen daughter with Poly JIA since age 2. Current med: azithromycin 250 mg MWF.

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I posted about an online Mexican pharmacy that sells Minocin by phizer.

Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

Where is that post?
    Alicia

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

on ‘Discontinued Brand Minocin’.

Parisa
    Participant

I believe a law was passed last year in Mexico requiring a prescription for antibiotics.

richie
    Participant

Hi—If pelleted minocin is no longer available up in Canada –an alternative to consider is Watsons generic powdered minocycline capsules –they are identified by having an inscription of DAN 5595 on the capsule –I understand they are widely sold in Canada –
    richie

Aliciainsandiego
    Participant

Thank you , Richie: I’ll let everyone know if the Wyeth-Ayerst Brand Minocin I ordered from the Canadian pharmacy yesterday is pelletized or not as soon as I recieve it. Alicia

notabene
    Participant

I asked the pharmacist at CVS in Washington DC about generics. They carry a pelleted capsule and tab form of Watson, quoting me $295.99 for 180 units.

Watson produces in India, as seen from Phil’s list elsewhere. Have there been any problems with this?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.