Home Forums General Discussion Help….diet suggestions!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    2011Rio
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I am trying so hard to change my diet to mostly meats and veggies and some fruit, but it seems that I run out of ideas as far as being creative and preparing something that appeals to my palate (get bored of the same ol thing). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, wishing you all great health!
    Rio

Diagnosed w/RA 2011
    Diagnosed w/Lyme, Ehrlichia, babesia, bartonella, ebv Feb 2016
    metronidazole 500mg 1tab,3x a day M-F:
    doxicycline 100mg 1tab 2x a day; Alliultra 360mg 2x a day;
    Larrea; burbur; GSF 400mg 1tab 2x a day ; multi vit; b12 lozenge;
    vit c 2000mg daily; Actemra 10/2015-present (may come off since
    lyme diagnoses) Plaquenil 200mg 2x a day; Prednisone 4.5mg
    (weaning off); Baclofen 10mg bedtime; Bentyl 10mg as needed;
    fexodinadine 180mg daily; armour thyroid 45mg daily; omeprazole 40mg d

laurawm
    Participant

Hi Rio,

I struggle with this as well – the monotony and limitations of a grain free/fruit free/casein free/red meat free/soy free/soak your seeds/sugar free/make and eat fermented foods all day!/food combine correctly/take your enzymes!/juice everyday/make your raw milk kefir!/no starchy vegetables – diet I am on. πŸ™‚ I’ve been doing this diet more or less since January and have figured out how to survive, at least for the time being. I’ll name some of the things I eat on a regular basis – maybe it will give you a few ideas.

Breakfast:
    2 glasses of filtered water upon waking
    1 glass Vitality Super Green drink (Body Ecology product)
    homemade coconut flour bread made with ghee, lakanto (natural sugar alternative), and loads of eggs (if anyone wants the recipe I can post it)
    1 cup organic coffee with full fat coconut milk

Snack:
    soaked and then dehydrated blanched almonds

Lunch:
    Juice of Romaine, celery, zucchini, parsley, green apple, lemon, ginger (sounds yuck but is quite tasty)
    Softly cooked egg with stir fried/steamed garlicy kale/veggies Or
    Leftovers from prior dinner Or
    Celery with sprouted almond or sunflower butter Or
    Quinoa salad with cilantro, lime, garlic, ginger, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, peppers (nightshades don’t bother me), lettuce, sometimes a little oil Or
    Quinoa tabouli Or
    Quinoa with paprika, basil and vegetables (are you noticing a quinoa theme here – it should be soaked overnight before cooking to release enzyme inhibitors)

Snack:
    Popcorn with sea salt cooked in coconut oil (this sometimes makes me flare – corn is iffy for me, but it’s a good snack for many people)
    Organic blue corn chips with fermented vegetables (as long as I eat with fermented veggies, corn seems to be okay – blue corn is supposed to be the easiest to digest
    Kombucha
    Raw milk kefir
    celery with nut butter (not peanut butter – makes me flare) if I didn’t have for lunch

Dinner:
    Chicken piccata (no breading – just ghee, lemon, parsley, capers) with lightly sauteed onions and flash sauteed other veggies (to preserve the live enzymes you do not want to heat to a high temperature)

Fried quinoa – like fried rice, but I use quinoa and add loads of vegetables – use ghee for the fat – good use of leftover quinoa because you need it to be cold when you stirfry

Tacos with dark ground turkey meat, Frontier taco seasoning, guacamole, homemade pico, lime kefir, and cultured veggies

All kinds of small wild caught fish like salmon, tilapia, sea bass, scallops, flounder, snapper etc. with veggies such as broccolini with lemon. I like to keep my fish simple with lemon, butter/oil, sea salt and various fresh herbs.

Fish tacos with tilapia, fresh soft corn tortillas (I make these because I like my corn organic), pico and lime kefir

All things Thai!! I love Thai food and it is pretty simple to prepare once you get used to the seasonings – I just eliminate the rice and make the curries and soups with protein (chicken usually) and loads of veggies

In the winter I made lots of vegetable soups rather than the cold quinoa salads I’m eating right now

Occasional Dessert:

raw chocolate sweetened with erythritol
    coconut milk ice cream sweetened with erythritol

I hope this is helpful in some way!

Laura

DragonSlayer
    Participant

Hi, Rio:

Best cookbook is Carol Sinclair’s “The New IBS Low-Starch Diet” with foreword by Professor Alan Ebringer. http://www.kickas.org has a very good recipe forum with many N-S and N-gluten etc recipes. Important to incorporate nuts like almonds, pistachios, macadamias, and walnuts. Good in combination with raisins and dried cranberries. Olives, hard cheese, myzithra cheese over broccoli, firm tofu with A1 sauce, orange-almond salad, tuna salad wraps. The most important thing is planning; these diets are inconvenient and important to know that McDonald’s patties are pure unadulterated beef, most ice cream in US is safe, and nearly all convenience store foods are forbidden.

bon appetit,
    John

Valsmum
    Participant
    2011Rio
    Participant

Laura, John, Val…..thank you for your replies!!!

Sounds like some very good suggestions and I’m going to check into it right away. Laura, I was wondering how you take the diatomaceous earth and what the primary reason is for taking it and thank you for the extra effort to share some meal ideas.

Rio

Diagnosed w/RA 2011

kater
    Participant

Zuchinni noodles are great warm or cold. I use a peeler to thin slice and then cut into ribbons. Use for salad or make a “cream sauce” out of soaked cashews, lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. It is also great over miracle noodles (shirataki) which are grain free and made of green bean starch, or steamed veggies.

http://slimpalate.com/cauliflower-tortillas-paleo-grain-free-gluten-free/ These cauliflower tortillas are wonderful

For dessert try this cake !Ingredients:
    Use a round of seedless watermelon for the body of the cake.

2 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5 oz cans) – unflavored and unsweetened
    1/3 cup powdered sugar or to taste (I would have to try it with Stevia and see how it turned out to avoid using powdered sugar)
    1 – 4 Tbsp coconut flour or tapioca flour (add 1 Tbsp at a time)
    1 Tbsp vanilla extract or to taste

Directions:
    Chill the cans of coconut milk overnight in the fridge
    Open the cans, drain off the clear liquid and transfer the cream to a chilled bowl, using a rubber spatula to scrape all the cream out of the cans
    Beat the thick coconut cream in the chilled bowl with a hand mixer until thick and fluffy
    Add the vanilla, then gradually beat in the powdered sugar and coconut or tapioca flour, 1 or 2 Tbsp at a time, testing for flavor and consistency
    For flavored whipped cream, add some cinnamon, instant coffee, or cocoa powder (you may want to increase the sugar a bit); or replace the vanilla with almond or coconut extract or a liqueur
    Using a rubber spatula, transfer the coconut cream to a covered storage container, and chill for 2 hours until the mixture firms. Serve chilled. Nutrition Data Per 73g Serving: 174 cal, 16g carb, 12g fat, 8mg sodium, 0g fiber, 1g protein, low Cholesterol, good source of Manganese. Estimated glycemic load 11

**Don’t like the coconut “icing” idea??…Then use plain Greek Yogurt instead of Coconut Milk and Almond Flour in place of the coconut flour…

**Toast your almonds before pressing them on the side, you can toast them in a skillet over medium heat until golden, or toast them in the oven under the broiler…Be sure to let them cool completely before using them on your “cake”

When I make almond milk I use the left over meal to make pancakes, muffins, or “cream cheese”.
    Some great recipes on alkalinesissters.com

Fasting today and making myself hungry.
    enjoy
    kate

Systemic Scleroderma since 2010. Lyme and Myco P. AP and many other antibiotics and treatments since Nov. 2011. Presently mostly in remission other than fatigue.
    Teva Minocycline 100mg a day. Dessicated tyroid, LDN 4.5, LDI, hawthorne, curcurmin, berberine,, caprylex, reishi mushroom, liver protect, zinc,, fish oils, magnesium, vit K2, d3, bcomp, E, C

laurawm
    Participant

Laura, I was wondering how you take the diatomaceous earth and what the primary reason is for taking it and thank you for the extra effort to share some meal ideas.

I take the DE as 1-2 teaspoons mixed into a full glass of water primarily as a detox/herx support as needed. I am following a protocol for Lyme with sea salt/vitamin C and chelation that creates some intense herxes and the idea is that especially with heavy metals, if you pull them out of your tissues (such as with EDTA or cilantro or high dose Vit C) but do not give them something to bind to within your intestinal tract, they can re-toxify you thus making the whole endeavor useless and causing more damage due to the stimulated immune response to the released toxins within the system. DE has been shown to carry heavy metals and other bacterial toxins effectively out of the body, thus decreasing the die off response. Plus it is full of trace minerals and helps clean the walls of the intestines (I really need this!! my candida is crazy) Other effective means are chlorella, french green clay (though this is so anti-microbial and anti-fungal that I have a hard time tolerating it as a herx support, since it causes me a herx), and activated charcoal.

I’ve heard and read of very negative reactions to DE, but I have not experienced any of this. It really does give me some relief and I’ve not noticed any ill effects. I do not use it everyday. Perhaps it is because I ordered a recommended super super fine food grade high quality version? I don’t know – I ordered the fossil shell flour from here: http://perma-guard.com/fossil-shell-flour.html

I’m not recommending DE necessarily – it’s just I got so sick last winter (raynaud’s, CRP 20, severe anemia low hemoglobin, chronic diarrhea) I had to make a 180 change in treatment and this is the path I have found and so far so good – not all better yet, but more than 50 percent better. I think type and quality of most products makes a significant difference.

Best to you,
    Laura

2011Rio
    Participant

Kate, Thank you for your ideas, everything is going to be helpful!!

Laura, Very interesting about the DE, I want to look into trying it. I am on a very limited budget right now so anything that is within my reach is vital, I feel. Bentonite Clay is another one that I have heard is very useful for binding with toxins and not releasing them back into our systems.

Be blessed,
    Tricia

Diagnosed w/RA 2011

enzed
    Participant

Hi Tricia,

The Dr Bernstein Diabetic Forum – you can google it – you can either join or visit it as a guest – has hundreds of free recipes for low carbohydrate/ no grain/ / low starch or no starch meals. It’s a wonderful site for free recipes. The members have been testing out each others recipes for years now and posting results. No need to buy cookbooks! It’s very like this site – it’s positive people helping each other to get well, rather than some sites where they wallow in misery for the sake of it and almost compete to get worse!!! πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ πŸ™„ Anyway, check it out for free recipes. Lots with coconut milk and grain free flours like almond flour made from the husks of almonds – they are very inventive people! Those shirataki noodles someone else has mentioned to you are wonderful, I’ve used them. Zero starch, made from a Japanese root vegetable. Just don’t freeze them! Best of luck.

2011Rio
    Participant

Hi enzed,

Thank you for the information, even if I just realized today that you had posted!! haha It sounds like a great site and I’m going to check it out today!! Be blessed πŸ™‚

Diagnosed w/RA 2011

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.