Home Forums General Discussion heartburn, it’s back.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mkay
    Participant

I remember reading in the book about Dr S wanting one lady to give up all antacids while on treatment (which she agreed to). My question is this, is it only because they bind to the minocin? What about a couple of tums on days off (T or Thur) is that also a no-no? Just asking, so I know if it’s ok to take an occasional tums or not? Does anyone else have heartburn?! Mine went away for months then I stopped the Minocin for almost 2 weeks to take amoxicillin for an acute infection and that’s when it started up again ๐Ÿ™ Oh my it’s always something! I have a feeling mine is partly stress right now also! Time to RELAX! ๐Ÿ™‚

I would appreciate anyones comments on this! Thanks!

PhilC
    Participant

Tums should be fine as long as you don’t take them within two hours of before or after you take your mino.

I had bad heartburn back in 2008 that just seemed to come out of nowhere. What I did to get rid of it was to take 75 mg of ranitidine (Zantac) every day, first thing in the morning. After a few months I switched to 10 mg of famotidine (Pepcid) because it seemed to work better and supposedly has fewer side effects. I also stopped drinking coffee. Eventually I was able to taper down to the point that I was only taking famotidine a couple of times a week, and now I don’t take it at all.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

mkay
    Participant

Thank you Phil. I’m hoping it’s from taking almost two weeks off the mino and restarting possibly?! If it keeps up I may have to try pepcid!

dcmilliman
    Participant

@mkay wrote:

I remember reading in the book about Dr S wanting one lady to give up all antacids while on treatment (which she agreed to). My question is this, is it only because they bind to the minocin? What about a couple of tums on days off (T or Thur) is that also a no-no? Just asking, so I know if it’s ok to take an occasional tums or not? Does anyone else have heartburn?! Mine went away for months then I stopped the Minocin for almost 2 weeks to take amoxicillin for an acute infection and that’s when it started up again ๐Ÿ™ Oh my it’s always something! I have a feeling mine is partly stress right now also! Time to RELAX! ๐Ÿ™‚

I would appreciate anyones comments on this! Thanks!

A really good remedy I have found for heartburn is 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I used to be a daily user of Prilosec and frankly was tired of taking something that destroys the stomach enzymes I need to digest my food. This WILL NOT work if you do not cease taking any calcium,heartburn meds. You must try this after you have STOPPED taking them for a few days and may try more than once ( A lot of this is to stop thinking you MUST take an antacid after eating ! ) Ask any doctor if they regularly take any antacids and they will tell you !

gordbentley
    Participant

I had brutal heartburn for years before RA, then when i got RA i went on a diet of complex carbs, vegies and meat (no deli meat). cutting out white and whole wheat bread and switchng to rye bread is what i contributed to my heartburn going away completely. minocycline hasnt given me heartburn unless i eat something that either converts to sugar or is sugar. (white bread and whole wheat bread convert to sugars when they are eaten. i also quit drinking coffee but i drink it now in small cups cuz coffee makes me puke in the morning if i drink too much, i could never figure out why that was i guess my tummy aint up for it

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.