Home Forums General Discussion Have I thrown myself into a herx?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    jlynne
    Participant

I started minocycline at the beginning of February, M-W-F. I wasn’t having any problems taking 100mg in the morning on those days. However, due to my inpatient nature I decided to try to take 100mg Monday thru Friday with weekends off. Did that for a couple of weeks then decided to up it to every day.

Now I have pains in both knees, right wrist, right fingers and right foot. It’s not terribly bad, its bearable. So here I was thinking that my RA is getting worse, considering that I might need the other DMARDS my rheumy wants me to take, when it dawned on me that what I might be experiencing is herxing from the increased dosage.

So my question is this: Should I decrease the dosage again or should I try to stay right where I am? As I said, it’s bearable but there seems to be a new pain cropping up every day.

I have to say, I didn’t feel the mino was really working because I was expecting herxing and never really had it. I did attribute the decrease in neck pain to it though. In a weird way I am happy about this herxing, if indeed it is a herx, because I know I am on the right track.

Thoughts?

matv
    Participant

Hi jlynne,

When I first started my doxy I didn’t feel much either. Well, I was a bit tired but I attributed that to not sleeping and worrying. Then my groin lymph nodes started to hurt and I felt aches around my body. About a mibtg later I started feeling it even more, as far as I know, herxing can take a month or more to happen or it can start happening instantly. I would attribute it to how fast your immune system works, as the antibiotics, again as far as I know, doesn’t kill the mycoplasma. It inhibits them until your immune system can go after it.

So it very well could be a herx. I personally would lower back down to m w f only if its intolerable. If you notice any joint damage happening, it might be beneficial to consider another dmard with mino. Some studies have shown that mino does a terrible job stopping joint damage. Im sure someone will chime in with this later with links to back it up.

I think it is a herx. Try to detoxify. It helps.

Svetulka
    Participant

Hi Jlynne!

it looks like we are going through the exact same situation. I started like you slowly 100 mg Minocin MWF, but then an AP doctor recomended that I increase the dosage to 100mg twice a day, every day. I followed his advise, but my stomach couldn’t take it. After I read your previous post, I decided to switch my dosage to 100 mg Minocin every day on the week and make a break on the weekend. My neck pain has improved a little, but the new pain in my wrists, hands and left foot is starting to really bother me. Now, I am freaking out, because I don’t know if I am herxing or my RA is starting to get worst. I don’t have a doctor and I am doing this all alone…I am a bit scared and don’t have anybody to talk to. If you like, since we are going through the same symptoms, we can write to each other emails and give each other support. I am scared that if this”herxing” continues, i will chicken out and ask my rheumatologist to put me on the nasty medication:-( For your information, I swithced my dosage to 100mg Minocin every second day. Will let you know how I am doing on the new regime, but right now I feel extremely depressed and anxious. I am so glad that I have a job I enjoy and am surrounded by supportive colleagues;-)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

jlynne and svetulka – I would encourage you both to read (or re-read) The New Arthritis Breakthrough and to take a look at the Dr Brown video – link on front page of General Discussion, to get an understanding of the rationale for his intermittent dosing. This treatment is far from the usual concept of taking antibiotics for acute infections and low and slow is the general rule (except for SDers and those with related manifestations where inflammation is not a primary symptom). Unless you have Lyme, then you are likely to have more tolerable herxing -and possibly better results – from pulsed dosing. More is not better (in most cases) in this approach to treatment and, most especially, so early in your treatment regime. And patience is required – this is a long road to greater wellbeing. Here is a link to an article from the main site that explains the rationale behind the historical pulsed dosing approach.https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/education.display/display_id/122.html

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Svetulka
    Participant

jlynne,

I have sent you a PM, but I am not sure if you have received it, because my PM box is acting strange. Please let me know if you haven’t received it:-)

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

I have sent you a PM, but I am not sure if you have received it, because my PM box is acting strange.

Svetulka – this system shows PM’s sitting in the sender’s outbox until the recipient opens them, so it can look as if they havent gone.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Svetulka
    Participant

lynnie,

thanks for clarifying this for me!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.