Home Forums General Discussion Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis and Dr. K’s Book

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    Eileen
    Participant

Hi, and thank you to all of you who have put this fabulous information here. Lots of work to do!~

Eileen

cavalier
    Participant

Some info in regard to this test for CD4 /CD8 it says to check every 2 months if you have changed your protocol to get a measure of how things are looking and if you have not changed your protocol since your 1st CD4/CD8 test to then check every 4 months for a measurement – that a collection of these tests can then give a overall impression where you are at or if you should with your doc consider a change.

Jill

lrobertson
    Participant

Wow………….what a group of educated people out there! I can’t keep up with all the medical terminology, but my doctor had me do a 24 hour urine test for iodine. seems I am only absorbing 40% and with less iodized salt, and I don’t eat seaweed, my body is not getting much. Reason I bring this up is because thyroid problems can be caused by low idione levels.

“We

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

Hi. It has been a long time. I continue to do well, buy want to look at DR K to try and get even better as far as contractures, enery level etc. What is title of book and full name for Dr K? From what i have read, a thyroid problem could be the issue that triggered my illness in the 1st place. I did have basic thyroid test done.
    Jeff

cavalier
    Participant

Jeff the book is listed on page one of this thread copying it again here – Dr. K “Why Do I Still Have Thyroid Symptoms When My Lab Tests Are Normal?”.

I have posted before about the link between low thyroid function & rheumatic diseases including ours SD. However just to be clear the Th1 & Th2 tests are not to do with the thryoid but we are talking about 3 different tests – the Th1 & Th2 is to determine which if any of the 2 main parts of your immune system is out of balance – as they should be balanced.
    The CD4/CD8 test is which is out of synch there if either they too should be fairly balanced – in a immune that is suppressed such as HIV for example and other diseases the CD4 is typically low in a disease were the immune is overactive typically for SD patients the CD4 is usually a bit higher than the CD8 cells from what I have read the CD8 cells say to the CD4’s OK you can stop now but when the CD8’s are lower than the CD4’s they keep doing their job to the point where it’s too much – which is what mine is doing currently still. It’s a way of measuring this but as you go more of these same test results give you a idea of where your immune is at. It is said if not in normal range yet – to retest in 2 months – some doc’s may feel differently – then if not change they recommend you consider a game change in your protocol somehow if possible & then retest in 2 more months if you are doing well once that is seen then you can wait 4 to 6 months for a retest but it’s a way to see along with your SD markers like mine is a SCL70 for my type of SD how you are doing – if the immune is out of whack still then it’s just one more piece of info as to disease level activity another way to know is how I look at it.

I am heading next Sunday to NW in Chicago & will bring them all of this and talk to their Immunologist & their whole team & get some further testing done.
    I am back on armour thyroid only been since end of July but been 2 months – with LDN my hands are doing better not perfect but far better but I want to see what they will propose – I am not sure if I will take them up on everything but I do feel there could be some more tweaking perhaps but mainly they know SD far better than the doc’s here & their work up will better add to this picture.
    But having a thyroid unaddressed & out of wack sure does not help matters any – it also by helping the immune be dysfunction can open the door for bacteria etc that your body normally could have fended off better. The parathyroids are also a interesting aspect & often involved along with the thymus – boron is usually low for the parathryoids to do their job & this is also a player in the dynamics and in the thyroid along with Lugols is a iodine product but I have taken Lugols for a while but SD can also take down the thyroid by itself so it’s sort of a chicken & egg thang – as to which happened 1st but I still need Armour thyroid med on top of the Lugols and Thyrostim .
    Hope this is of some help.

Best – Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Now that I know my CD4’s are high despite immune modulators and I know my Vit D levels can still go up higher they are barely in the low level of normal still, even though i take 5,000 to 10,000 Iu’s of Vit D3 daily, I can use Vit D3 to try to help balance if I can lower the CD4’s.
    1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) ameliorates Th17 autoimmunity via transcriptional modulation of interleukin-17A.
    Mol Cell Biol. 2011 Sep;31(17):3653-69. Epub 2011 Jul 11.
    Joshi S, Pantalena LC, Liu XK, Gaffen SL, Liu H, Rohowsky-Kochan C, Ichiyama K, Yoshimura A, Steinman L, Christakos S, Youssef S.
    Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, New Jersey Medical School, Newark, NJ 07103, USA.

Abstract
    A new class of inflammatory CD4(+) T cells that produce interleukin-17 (IL-17) (termed Th17) has been identified, which plays a critical role in numerous inflammatory conditions and autoimmune diseases. The active form of vitamin D, 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D(3) [1,25(OH)(2)D(3)], has a direct repressive effect on the expression of IL-17A in both human and mouse T cells. In vivo treatment of mice with ongoing experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis (EAE; a mouse model of multiple sclerosis) diminishes paralysis and progression of the disease and reduces IL-17A-secreting CD4(+) T cells in the periphery and central nervous system (CNS). The mechanism of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) repression of IL-17A expression was found to be transcriptional repression, mediated by the vitamin D receptor (VDR). Transcription assays, gel shifting, and chromatin immunoprecipitation (ChIP) assays indicate that the negative effect of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) on IL-17A involves blocking of nuclear factor for activated T cells (NFAT), recruitment of histone deacetylase (HDAC), sequestration of Runt-related transcription factor 1 (Runx1) by 1,25(OH)(2)D(3)/VDR, and a direct effect of 1,25(OH)(2)D(3) on induction of Foxp3. Our results describe novel mechanisms and new concepts with regard to vitamin D and the immune system and suggest therapeutic targets for the control of autoimmune diseases. from http://drbradstreet.org/2011/11/13/sorting-out-the-function-of-the-vitamin-d-receptor-vdr-also-known-as-gcmaf/

Jill

cavalier
    Participant

Jeff & all – some further tidbits on Th17 & also thyroid, biofilms for those who have Lyme & some supp’s & foods that can be helpful depending on what you have –
    Whether using pharmaceutical or natural treatments, it is important to establish the patient’s level of tissue-specific antibodies, status of immune function, including cytokine production before commencing therapy. Such laboratory assessments should be repeated periodically to monitor the effectiveness of the treatment protocol. Alterations may be required to recover from the inflammation inherent in autoimmune, neuroimmune and neurodegenerative diseases and return to a state of optimal health. More research and publications are needed before a proper meta-analysis of compiled data can be professionally assessed. However, the small number of studies presented in this manuscript shows encouraging experimental evidence, which may inspire the execution of larger, longitudinal research projects in the near future. This additional information could yield detailed cross-comparisons of integrative and CAM therapies for inflammatory and autoimmune disorders. – from this link with more info found in the link as well http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2011/548086/

Hypothyroidism in Noninterferon
    Treated-HCV Infected Individuals Is Associated with
    Abnormalities in the Regulation of Th17 Cells

frenchmoxie
    Participant

Hi Andrea,

So did you end up getting your cytokine profile results in for Th1/Th2 issues? If so, do you think you could share your results with us? Thanks!

-Ashley-

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.