Home Forums General Discussion Has anyone ever heard of Barbara Allen

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Tlpitts
    Participant

I saw on the Internet actually on you tube this lady Barbara Allen who is an author of a book called “conquering arthritis” has anyone read it or have an opinion about this lady ???

laurawm
    Participant

Hi, I recently ordered and read this book and think it’s pretty good. Allen apparently had a known case of reactive arthritis that left her in a wheel chair in her twenties and through her grad school education years. After not getting better on conventional treatments (she does not say what she tried that I remember) she decided to do food elimination fasts and diet trials due to much research and historic evidence that food sensitivities can contribute to ongoing arthritic symptoms due to leaky gut and immune responses to certain trigger foods. Over time she found she was sensitive to corn, rice, wheat, and several other foods and was able to recover by eliminating these foods from her diet. She says she was able to begin to eat them again after several years and gut healing and rotation dieting. She has a good deal of science referenced and explained throughout the book and it makes sense to me on several levels, though I do not see how diet alone can completely cure a person if the immune system is also responding to an infectious antigen. One theory is that trigger foods weaken the immune system (giving it more antigens to fight) so that when they are eliminated, the immune system is then capable of taking care of other issues (such as chronic infections etc.). In a way, making dietary modifications is the same as antibiotic treatment in the sense that they are both trying to reduce demand on the immune system. Allen is not a fan of antibiotics as they are hard on the gut and she believes there cannot be a complete healing without all systems in balance. She also recommends advanced food sensitivity testing in order to help understand needed individual diet modifications.

Hope this is helpful!

Laura

Marybeth
    Participant

I too have her book that I bought several years ago. She recommends fasting and more severe approaches. I cannot recall all details but it was a bit too aggressive on the fasting side for me. As the previous writer wrote she does elimination diet but diary was not included in her book. I did do elimination diet but it was never a cut and dry theory for me and decided to try AP. I still adhere to a strict diet but do not rely on just diet.

Tlpitts
    Participant

Sounds just like everything else study take from it what you need for you. I have food allergies the worst food for me is Corn or corn solids ect And guess what it’s in most everything!!!!! If I eat corn within an hour I can’t walk across the floor. I just relize I all of a sudden can’t drink milk and I most definitely can’t eat cottage cheese although I seem to be able to handle hard cheese?? So now I am starting to wonder if I have more allergies?? I went to an allergy doctor what a waste of my time and money. He says I am not allergic to corn yet I get so much inflammation in my joints from eating them what else is it?? He said I have food sensitivities and that won’t show up on an allergy test. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

matv
    Participant

I must say she’s got a bit of an advocate if that’s all the case. I was diagnosed as Reactive Arthritis and was pretty much unable to do anything in January. Now I’m able to walk pretty well and it’s because I completely changed my diet. Though I don’t see how I can survive off this diet for long without re-introducing some stuff back in. I’m still convinced there’s other reasons for my arthritis, as it’s not just arthritis that is the problem, but so many other things.

I say, if diet helps with the pain, then sure change it. But if other things are also helping, why stop them as well? 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.