Home Forums General Discussion Had the flu and now RA symptons almost gone?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    KyPeach
    Participant

Quick background – I was diagnosed w/RA about 16 months ago. I went to my MD because after having been diagnosed w/a Dental abcess I was prescribed penicillin VK500mg 4x day. Imagine my surprise when I started taking it and all my aches and pains went away! When I went back and had 5 teeth removed (fun day!) no more antibiotics and the aches and pains came back exponentially. Although my doctor sent me to a Rheumy I couldn’t get on board. When I asked her why the penicillin caused such a startling difference she told me it was a fluke. I left that office and went straight for the internet and found “The Road Back”! I started seeing a brilliant MD in Indianapolis, IN. I take tons of vitamins and the nutritional IV’s. We tried several antibiotics, but the penicillin is what works for me. Started at 4x a day, went to 3x day, was ready to go to 2x a day when I got some crappy generics that did not due the job. After 4-5 months I finally got some that worked but had lost ground, and now seemed to be stuck at 3x day but not feeling better. But here’s the kicker. Right after Christmas I got sick, maybe the flu. It was really strange. I have been sick for over 3 weeks. Mostly chest cold w/fever that comes and goes as it pleases. I realized about a week ago that I don’t have any joint pain. I’d had a really high fever the night before that lasted some time. Thought this was a bit crazy, but still no joint pain. Any thoughts out there….?

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

I have experienced the same thing. What will probably happen is that the joint pain will return after you have completely recovered from the flu. I am not sure why it happens, but I once speculated that it is because the immune system is “distracted” by the viral infection and is 100% focused on killing the flu viruses. That’s probably not really correct, though. Instead, what probably happens is that the viral infection causes a shift in the Th1/Th2 balance.

By the way, bee venom therapy might possibly work in a similar way. The difference is that instead of an accidental virus infection, one purposely introduces a substance (bee venom) that the immune system will aggressively attack.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

KyPeach
    Participant

Have you tried the bee venom? If so, tell me about your results.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,

Yes, I did. You can read about it here:
    Has anyone here tried Bee Venom Therapy (BVT)?

Phil

- Albert Einstein

curatio
    Participant

I had a similar experience where my pain and inflammation disappeared for a while when I caught the Flu. It was back around 2005-2006 while I was being treated/tested by a rheumatologist to determine whether I had RA. I caught the flu twice during this period. Both times, I felt “great” for the duration of the flu (other than fever, choking, and difficulty breathing!) My rheumy politely smiled when I mentioned this.

I’ve tried on several occasions to purposely catch the flu, or a cold, but can’t. Of course the pain, inflammation, and joint damage continue. Since then, I haven’t caught a cold, or flu, or even a sniffle. I have commented to family and friends that I could walk into a leper colony and not catch anything.

In april of 2007, I had a knee operation where I received a large dose of IV antibiotic (not sure what type). I felt pretty good for about a month. I was gaining weight and muscle mass, and I felt that my connective tissue was gaining strength.

My experience had led me to wean myself off my RA medications and pursue the root cause of my immune response.
    Best to you
    Rick

RA since 2004 - possible Lyme
    Current Protocol: Minocycline 2x100mg MWF

Look at every path closely and deliberately, then ask ourselves this crucial question: Does this path have a heart? If it does, then the path is good. If it doesn't, it is of no use - Carlos Castaneda

A Friend
    Participant

@KyPeach wrote:

Quick background – I was diagnosed w/RA about 16 months ago. I went to my MD because after having been diagnosed w/a Dental abcess I was prescribed penicillin VK500mg 4x day. Imagine my surprise when I started taking it and all my aches and pains went away! When I went back and had 5 teeth removed (fun day!) no more antibiotics and the aches and pains came back exponentially. Although my doctor sent me to a Rheumy I couldn’t get on board. When I asked her why the penicillin caused such a startling difference she told me it was a fluke. I left that office and went straight for the internet and found “The Road Back”! I started seeing a brilliant MD in Indianapolis, IN. I take tons of vitamins and the nutritional IV’s. We tried several antibiotics, but the penicillin is what works for me. Started at 4x a day, went to 3x day, was ready to go to 2x a day when I got some crappy generics that did not due the job. After 4-5 months I finally got some that worked but had lost ground, and now seemed to be stuck at 3x day but not feeling better. But here’s the kicker. Right after Christmas I got sick, maybe the flu. It was really strange. I have been sick for over 3 weeks. Mostly chest cold w/fever that comes and goes as it pleases. I realized about a week ago that I don’t have any joint pain. I’d had a really high fever the night before that lasted some time. Thought this was a bit crazy, but still no joint pain. Any thoughts out there….?

KyPeach… I’m cheating here. When I first began AP (went to Iowa), soon after I was back home, I started coughing like crazy, and my chest was congested. It got so bad, my husband insisted I put my robe on in the middle of the night and we went to the ER. I was diagnosed with pneumonia, and was prescribed a different kind of abx than the Minocin I had been on. Dr. S in Iowa told me to get off the Minocin, and do exactly what the ER physician wanted me to do. And, then, when I was over the pneumonia, to get right back on the Minocin. When the pneumonia cleared, I was feeling better than I had felt in a very long time. What was going on in my chest was die-off, a result of the IVs I’d had in Iowa, plus being on Minocin for a week or two after I returned home. This was January also, a number of years ago. When I read your post, I felt I had to reply. I hope you are taking large doses of probiotics, at least three hours away from your antibiotics, to replace the good organisms being killed by the abx.

Hope you keep on improving,
    AF

PhilC
    Participant

This woman’s story is very interesting:
    http://reyahcarlson.typepad.com/about.html

She has received over 25,000 bee stings as part of her treatment for MS/Lyme Disease.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

notabene
    Participant

I had some nasty virus from East Africa last August, followed by an even worse secondary bacterial infection. The 1 gram of generic amoxicilline daily not only drove out the fever and aches, but softened up my hands and reduced the swelling. No Raynaud’s. That’s when I had a clue that AP would work.

Krys
    Participant

Hi Phil,
    Thank you so very much for mentioning and then giving links to so much more about apitherapy. Those stories are so wonderful!
    25,000 stings seems overwhelmingly too much, but it is so refreshing to know that there always is a solution, a simple even if painful one!
    I hope I never need it but I’m most happy to see that the link you provided led to further links and there are numerous books offered, an invitation to a fascinating reading.
    Thanks a lot! Krys

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Krys,

The treatment for MS is fairly aggressive, which makes sense considering the nature of the disease. I remember reading about a man with MS who was giving himself about 45 bee stings every day. And if a person received 15 stings a day for five years, that would add up to over 25,000 stings.

Bee venom therapy (BVT) isn’t as bad as one might think. If you numb the area with ice first, when the bee stings you there is absolutely no pain. However, as the numbness wears off the pain slowly becomes more and more intense. Fortunately, the worst part is over in five to ten minutes. Also, based on my own experimentation, one sting a day is probably more than enough, with the possible exception of the more serious illnesses like MS.

It is a shame that more people aren’t aware of this option, are unwilling to try it (if they know about it), or they say “Maybe I’ll try it as a last resort.” I say that because there are people who have gone into long-term remission from RA thanks to BVT.

Phil

- Albert Einstein

Krys
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

If you numb the area with ice first, when the bee stings you there is absolutely no pain. However, as the numbness wears off the pain slowly becomes more and more intense. Fortunately, the worst part is over in five to ten minutes.
    Phil

Well, I am glad that now, thanks to you, I am aware of the therapy. I will be willing to try it when I get a chance.
    But I can relate to fear of inflicting pain on oneself.
    And as far as duration of pain, it may be quite individual and may change over time. I was stung a few times as a kid. The pain on the hand lasted not that long. Maybe 20 minutes. But a year earlier, I was stung on the instep of the foot and I remember it lasted for 2 days, which could have been actually less: 1/2 day since the sting, whole night and large part of the next day. It was gone by the next night.
    I’ll have to examine the links one more time and get the books. It would be good to know the best location for administering the sting. I still shudder at the thought, though. As of now, I think I will try Chang Shan to help settle the immune responses down.

Thanks a lot! It is awesome that there are always solutions, if only one is willing to employ them, of course

Kudzuslipper
    Participant

Hy kypeach. Could your joint pain be due to Lyme? Lyme spirochetes hate heat and a fever can either kill them or make them run deeper, which, unless you herx would make you feel better for a while.

KyPeach
    Participant

I go back to my doc on May 1st. I will be questioning him about the possibility of Lyme. I know I’ve had enough test run that he should already know the answer!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.