Home Forums General Discussion H1N1 reaction causing RA-type symptoms

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    marypart
    Participant

My sister, also an RN, had a severe, debilitating reactive arthritis that started right after the second shot of the Hepatitis B vaccine in 1994. She remains very arthritic.

Where do you live? Private Message me if you don’t want to post.

My son and I go to an excellent AP rheumatologist who tracks down the trigger. In your case it could be the H1N1 virus, or it could be that you were already infected with something else and this just put your system over the edge.

Mary

zakdog
    Participant

How scary…hang in there. I find your story so interesting as I too am a registered nurse, my symptoms began with feet, knee pain and the awoke with burning down my arms, labs were negative for first 3 months. The interesting thing was I had the flu shot, h1n1shot and surgery the month it started so I too was convinced that it was a reaction. It has been a year and I am still struggling but my rheumatologist is very open minded and continues AP with me. I recently tried methotrexate and failed it so I asked for enbrel. He said no as he is still not convinced this will not resolve without meeds as my anemia just corrected itself with no help or supplements….we will see, good luck to you. Joann

zakdog
    Participant

Just quick suggestion, I too had to wait to see a rheumatologist. I just approached one of the docs I work with and asked them to write me a script for minocin 100mg po bid name brand no substitutions, # 60 prn refills for 3 months. They write it for acne all the time so should not be a big deal if you decide you want to start. Also, check out information regarding adjuvant reactions. This can occur from immunizations or surgical implants. Unfortunately I had both in one month. My rheumatologist agrees with me that even though my labs are now very positive, it may have been an adjuvant reaction that started it. I am not a doc andvtherefore only give my opinion but something to consider. Joann

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

garstt1-

You can get referrals for AP doctors at apdoctors@roadback.org

Since there is much denial that vaccines cause problems, I’m wondering if any of you have reported reactions to the doctors who provided the vaccines?

Jan

Michele
    Participant

Tracy,

So sorry to hear you had this reaction. My journey started with a “trigger” three years ago. That was within a week of having some mercury amalgam fillings replaced, my arthritis flared for the first time. A flu shot a month later made me flare more. (my doc said there was Thimerasol in that particular flu shot.)

I’ve seen a “cross-over” rheumatologist for the last year. She’s trained in standard rheumatology, but is also trained in functional medicine and Lyme disease. Through a combination approach, I have recovered a lot. She’s done genetic testing so I know that I am missing critical genes to detoxify properly. It explains all the discomfort I’ve experienced. Lyme co-infection neurotoxins combined with mercury neurotoxins are just part of my pea soup of triggers. My doc is a medical detective who seeks the triggers. The treatment I am on includes antibiotics, herbs, and supplements. It is not an immediate fix. But, I have noticed steady progress over the last year.

Look at Functional Medicine. If you do a google search you will find information about how these doctors treat and see if it resonates with you. Like you, I wanted to uncover and treat the causes, not just the symptoms as regular rheumatologists do. I find Functional Medicine resonates with me as it is a holistic approach.

Michele

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.