Home Forums General Discussion Gym update

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Joe M
    Participant

[user=781]1Aggie[/user] wrote:

I really used exercise for stress release and control of depression though too and it has been hard to find a good substitute.  If anyone has suggestions I would love them! 08')

I suggest picking up a copy of one of David Burns' books.  He is a clinical psychiatrist who started his career treating depression with medication, but over time came to believe cognitive behavioral techniques work better than drugs for treating depression.  It is based on the theory that the way we think about things controls our moods.  His books are very well written, and give readers tools to analyze the way we think and recognize the cognitive distortions that take place which lead to depression.  His classic book is Feeling Good, The New Mood Therapy, which also has a revised edition.  His latest book is When Panic Attacks, which has a lot of overlapping material with Feeling Good but focuses more on anxiety than depression.   These books did me a world of good several years ago while going through a rough patch, and I highly recommend them to anyone who struggles with depression and anxiety. 

1Aggie
    Participant

Thanks so much for your suggestion.  I am definitely one for therapy over medicine first.  I work in the health care field and a neuropyschiatrist I am in contact with just the other day brought up a recent study that showed cognitive therapy for depression was more effective than drugs.  I believe that.  I am thankfully doing better mentally now than when I first felt really sick in January.  I had to use relaxation techniques and some natural supplements to help with fear/anxiety as well as sleep disturbances and now I have come through on the other side.  I just find exercise is a big boost for me and I miss that.  I will write down the author you recommended  as I have a friend that struggles with anxiety and it certainly would be helpful to me as well on the days I feel discouraged.  I wouldn't wish depression or anxiety on my worst enemy.  It is a very difficult thing to deal with and anyone who has not experienced it cannot know how it feels.  Unfortunately we know all too well in my family.  I watched my sister struggle for 13 years on and off as she was put on a ridiculous amount of psychotropic meds that I believe eventually led her to suicide.  Now looking back, I know she had autoimmune disease that was undiagnosed and for years she had doctors telling her it was all in her head.  To anyone out there who is struggling with the depression that can come with these diseases, make a contract with someone you can talk with and promise to let them know if you are feeling suicidal.  Life is a gift and every day counts!

Dx with CREST 2/08. minocycline 2x/day M-F, LDN 3mg nightly, 90 mg of Armour thyroid. Probiotics, milk thistle, L-argine, L-lysine, natto + serro, 81mg baby aspirin, daily multiple, 1000mg Vit C, lutein, cinnamon extract, evening primrose oil, omega 3s, Ubiquinol 100mg, alpha lipoic acid and exercise when I can.

Parisa
    Participant

1Aggie,

I'm sorry to hear about your sister.  I spend quite  a bit over on the Lyme boards and oftentimes people over there with extreme anxiety have Bartonella, a co-infection of Lyme disease.  It's very frustrating for people to feel like they are losing their sense of self and control.  When you can tell them that it's actually an infectious disease, it's easier to swallow and keep the hope that things will improve with treatment.

Kim
    Participant

1Aggie,

So very sad about your sister.  No doubt, that heartache contributed to your health problems as well.  Stress does a number on us.

JOJO19551
    Participant

I want to thank all of you.  I have not exercised all year due to fatigue.  I think I was actually scared to try.  After reading all of your postings I decided to go for a walk and walked one mile with no problems.  I did the 60 mile breast cancer walk last year; it amazes me that I can be happy with doing one mile.  Thanks to all.

JoAnn

Terre
    Participant

I too have SD and have been an avid exerciser all my life.  Three years ago January I tore my ACL on the tennis court,  two months later my SD sypmtoms started to emerge.  I am finally starting to get back to a starting point in terms of exercising.  I've kept up with my stretching and yoga but now feel it's time to start walking/biking/playing tennis again even slowly, it's great that we all can relate to each other and it really helps when I read all your posts and feel like I belong to a “club”.  We will all beat this crazy disease and be all the stronger both mentally and physically.
    Terre

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘ Gym update’ is closed to new replies.