Home Forums General Discussion Gut bacteria and Autoimmunity – Mayo Research

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Maz
    Keymaster

Mayo Clinic is now doing much research on the gut microbiome and autoimmune disease, such as RA, Lupus and AS, as discussed in the following video interview and looking to see how certain bacteria may be used to alter the inflammatory response:

http://firstpost.com/topic/disease/ankylosing-spondylitis-gut-bacteria-hold-potential-for-treating-rheumatoid-arthriti-video-y_d97MjqleI-50815-2.html

And a snippet in another article about the Oct 2012 ACR meeting that talks about the use of an oral and gut pathogen, Prevotella histicola http://www.redorbit.com/news/health/1518501/new_bacteria_species_discovered_in_human_mouth/ being studied for its anti-inflammatory benefits in rheumatic diseases:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/news2012-rst/7152.html

“Other Mayo studies being presented at the rheumatology conference found that: *Gut bacteria, specifically Prevotella histicola, have anti-inflammatory benefits that could help treat autoimmune disorders such as lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis. Researchers examined the possibility using mice, and more studies are planned. “This is a hot area of research now,” says Dr. Matteson, who wasn’t part of the study team.”

It’s possible some drug will be manufactured out of this bug as was done for Dupuytren’s Contracture, using harvested collagenase from clostridium histolyticum. (Note: I am the lucky genetic recipient of a Dupuytren’s nodule on my left palm. However, this is not a drug I’d want to use as an RAer, as it is anti-collagenase that breaks down joint tissue…and I wonder if anything resembling collagenase could potentially set off further immune response and damage to hand joints receiving this medication). Nevertheless, it’s interesting that bugs are being recognized for their beneficial abilities to modulate rheumatic disease, too. Just not likely they’ll be used in their natural state….can’t patent bugs.

2012 ACR Presentations here for anyone interested…there is a lot to wade through!

http://www.rheumatology.org/education/annual/2012_Abstract_Supplement.pdf#toolbar=1

niteowl
    Participant

Wow you’re right, there is a lot to read there!

Diagnosed with RA in 2012
    Fifth Disease in '03
    Lyme? in 2000?
    Had radioactive ablation of hyperactive thyroid in 1997
    autoimmune thrombocytopenia resolved
    Anemia resolved with treatment of RA with Minocycline
    Blood type: B neg

Meds:
    Minocycline 50mg once a week
    Levothyroxine .88mg
    Liothyronine 5mg
    Methotrexate 20 mg once a week

Folic acid
    B12
    B6
    Vit D
    Biotin
    Biosil
    Cbd balm
    Flexaril as needed
    Aspirin
    Benedryl
    Ventolin inhaler
    Lactibiane probiotic

kseevers
    Participant

Maz – Tom and I took Michael to a naturalist MD & was told he could be the poster child for leaky gut and that to make real progress against his Morphea we needed to heal his gut first. We have went gluten, dairy,red,yellow dye free & low sugar. Without a doubt it has helped. As you know his Lyme test came back negative but I’m not convinced that test result is accurate but feel strongly that there’s an underlying bacterial infection somewhere and that his gut could be playing a major role in this disease. I’ve been reading more and more about Aloe being beneficial to healing the gut and was wondering what you think about this or do you know anyone with some insight on it. Michael is currently taking 1 tsp Amoxicillin twice a day and a probiotic, his last MRI showed an area of concern in his Thalamus, he has another spot of scar tissues forming on his scalp that looks real scabby right now along with a red scaley area in his arm pit, headaches and some behavior issues . We can’t get in to thr Dr’s until the 15 th., any advise or help is greatly needed and appreciated. Thank you,

Maz
    Keymaster

@kseevers wrote:

I’ve been reading more and more about Aloe being beneficial to healing the gut and was wondering what you think about this or do you know anyone with some insight on it. Michael is currently taking 1 tsp Amoxicillin twice a day and a probiotic, his last MRI showed an area of concern in his Thalamus, he has another spot of scar tissues forming on his scalp that looks real scabby right now along with a red scaley area in his arm pit, headaches and some behavior issues . We can’t get in to thr Dr’s until the 15 th., any advise or help is greatly needed and appreciated.

Hi Kseevers,

Yes, I understand Aloe may only help with gut healing and shouldn’t harm.

I checked back on previous posts and saw that Michael started amoxy one year ago. Has he also been taking some type of anti-fungal in addition to probiotics?

Kathy, my best insight at this stage is to suggest that Michael go for a comprehensive work-up with an AP-friendly rheumatologist (like Dr. F. in CA). It is not worth trying to navigate treatment without some experienced guidance, even if just for an initial work-up to get one’s bearings and know what’s-what….then working with a local doctor makes it all a lot less stressful.

After one year, usually some sign of improvement will be evident, if only for progression to be slowed…if not, then it’s not unusual to change things up in terms of protocol.

If you can get Michael to an experienced doctor, let me know and I will be happy to send you contact info for Dr. F.

kseevers
    Participant

He did 30 days on Nystantin & it hasn’t been suggested that we do another round – Is that something someone does long term or periodically ? There is nothing I’d love more than getting Michael to Dr F but just not a viable option right now.. Do you know of anyone else closer ? I spoke with a derm at Boston’s Children’s that told me getting him on AB was one of the best decisions we made ! But that Michaels age holds him up on what he can take- he didn’t make recommendations to me but said he’d speak with our pediatrician & then we have our appt on the 15th so … We started noticing slight changes in the last few months and very hopeful that with this consultation and the Roadback protocol in his possession that we’ll get Michael back on track – in the mean time we save as much as we can just in case. Thank you for your help Maz I really appreciate it, Kathy

Maz
    Keymaster

@kseevers wrote:

He did 30 days on Nystantin & it hasn’t been suggested that we do another round – Is that something someone does long term or periodically ? There is nothing I’d love more than getting Michael to Dr F but just not a viable option right now.. Do you know of anyone else closer ? I spoke with a derm at Boston’s Children’s that told me getting him on AB was one of the best decisions we made ! But that Michaels age holds him up on what he can take- he didn’t make recommendations to me but said he’d speak with our pediatrician & then we have our appt on the 15th so … We started noticing slight changes in the last few months and very hopeful that with this consultation and the Roadback protocol in his possession that we’ll get Michael back on track – in the mean time we save as much as we can just in case. Thank you for your help Maz I really appreciate it, Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Just going by what my LLMD did…he would not prescribe a penicillin without also prescribing some type of anti-fungal/cyst-buster. Penicillin pushes Lyme into dormant cystic form and also promotes yeast in the gut. Nystatin may be safer for a young one, but is just a wash-thru for the alimentary canal. Diflucan is a heavier drug (hard on the liver), so may not be so good for a young one. There are more natural options, however, including things like grapefruit seed extract (strong taste and needs to be mixed with something like tomato juice). Your Naturopathic doc should be able to help with this – candida/fungus overgrowth in the gut is thought to be a prime cause of leaky gut, because the hydra of the fungus grows deep into the gut lining, causing microscopic perforations that may lead to food sensitives. Some AP docs will do regular pulses of prescription anti-fungals, too.

Can you remind me of your location, Kseevers? Was it Ohio? I think I may have already given you the one LLMD of which I’m aware in this state. Please let me know if my recall is off. 😉

Pretty positive response from the dermatologist, eh? 🙂 It’s kind of interesting how different specialties sometimes see the same issues in a different light.

There are other abx that can be used with children, such as cephalosporins, if needed, until Michael is old enough to take a tetracycline.

kseevers
    Participant

Yes Ohio, we’ve been seeing a Llmd dr in Cincinnati that was recommended by one of the Dr’s you recommended and very happy with him and his staff infact Ijust spoke with his nurse to update and relayed the info you just gave me asked a few questions so hopefully will have all three Dr’s thinking about his situation, talking and coming up with a plan. We tried Diflucan – he reacted badly to it. I will keep you posted, Thank you so much ?,Kathy

Maz
    Keymaster

Thanks, Kathy, for getting back to me. I hope Michael’s docs can figure this out for you and come up with a plan, too. Seems like it might be time for some protocol tweaks after one year? Also, some further help with healing his gut. Hang in there, Mom, and will watch for your post on what you discover.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.