Home Forums General Discussion good/bad news

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)
  • Author
    Kim
    Participant

Linda,

What a bummer about the type 2 diabetes. :X  Lots of people have been able to reverse theirs, so maybe you can too.

The thyroid has a mind of it's own and it's maddening.  Mine has been cycling for about 4 years now and they just found another cyst that they want to biopsy…..ugh.  Have you asked your doctor to try switching meds?  I do better on Armour, for what it's worth.  Everything else is improving for me and my thyroid is still causing problems so may be the last to fall in line.

Even though you are frustrated beyond belief, you are making some progress.  Just lowering the prednisone is major.  You are such a fighter……..don't ever lose that, or we'll have to come to Texas for an intervention. 😉

Hang in there, Linda…..

kim

Eva Holloway
    Participant

“Instead of Dark Lords of Rheumatologists and bureaucrats:sick::sick::sick:,  you shall have a Queen; :dude:, all shall love me and despair! (you'll only get this if your a Tolkien freak like me)

Hey, a girl can dream, can't she?!;););)”

WAY TO GO LINDA, YOU MADE MY MORNING. HAD A GOOD LAUGH.

Best wishes for helping us poor AI folks.

Eva:roll-laugh::roll-laugh::roll-laugh:

Eva Holloway

Maz
    Keymaster

[user=11]linda[/user] wrote:

Back from the endocriny, and more bad news. The thyroid is even lower, and the fasting blood glucose is higher. There's no pussyfooting around this anymore, I now have type 2 diabetes and have joined the ranks of those who poke themselves several times a day to check blood sugar levels. 

Dear Linda…so sorry to hear this news. You are such a trooper and I can just imagine you queening it up around the nation on the chat shows presenting the case for all!!!

I came across some information when I was checking into Type 2 diabetes for my elderly Dad. They've found that cinnamon can improve glucose and cholesterol metabolism. You might like to take a look at this article if this is of interest to you. There's lots more out there about this, but I wondered if it may help in some way:

http://diabetes.webmd.com/news/20031205/cinnamon-helps-type-2-diabetes

One way or another, I have a feeling you're going to get your IVs!!!

Peace, Maz

linda
    Participant

Maz, I've also heard this about cinnamon, I'm not sure how much is needed for it to be effective. I already use quite a lot of it in my cooking; my favorite is to use it with sugar and margarine on rice.

The diabetes is not surprising news, it was that the labs were worse that surprised me. I was hoping that since I've been reducing the pred dosage that the labs would have been better. I guess it's going to take more time. I should mention again how much I like this doctor. She was surprised to see that the one lab that had returned to normal was the liver functions. I told her about using milk thistle, and altho she had not heard of it, told me to keep using it as long as it didn't affect blood sugar levels – she was going to check and make sure.

Kim, I appreciate you r thoughts on the thyroid issue. I'll keep them in mind, but since I've really just started treatment with the thyroxin I'll stay with it for a while. I was on the lowest dose when those labs were taken. I'm wondering if reducing the pred hasn't caused the problem to worsen. If the cause of the hypothyroidism is inflammatory, then it stands to reason that reducing the pred would make it worse. I had not thought about that as a consequence before. It doesn't change my decision to continue to decrease the pred unless it becomes life threatening, tho.

Thanks again for not making fun of my geekiness, everyone. Those silly little journeys into outer space help me cope with reality. Speaking of outer space and finding a relief from day to day life, I saw a great movie last weekend. I thought it would be cheesy and terrible, but it had good reviews so I gave it a whirl. If you ever watched the original Star Trek series, you will love the new movie. My only regret is that I didn't take advantage of the opportunity to see it at the IMAX theatre, but spec FX aside, it was just a good movie. Lots of banter and little inside jokes referring to the original series, and an interesting spin that allows for plenty of sequels. If you like that kind of thing, it's not really my cup of tea…..;)

Maz
    Keymaster

Maz, I've also heard this about cinnamon, I'm not sure how much is needed for it to be effective. I already use quite a lot of it in my cooking; my favorite is to use it with sugar and margarine on rice.

Hi Linda,

The article above had the doses used by the cinnamon study participants as follows:

• “Group 1 took 1 gram (two capsules equaling about one-quarter of a teaspoon) for 20 days. [/*:2ppbqli0]
    • Group 2 took 3 grams (six capsules, equaling a little less than one teaspoon) for 20 days. [/*:2ppbqli0]
    • Group 3 took 6 grams (12 capsules, equaling about one and three-quarters teaspoons) for 20 days.

[/*]

[align=left]

[align=left]Blood samples were taken at each level of the study. [/align]
    [/align]
    [align=left]Cinnamon made a difference! Twenty days after the cinnamon was stopped, there were significant reductions in blood glucose levels in all three groups that took cinnamon, ranging from 18 to 29%. But there was one peculiar finding that researchers don't understand at this point. Only the group that consumed the lowest level of cinnamon continued with significantly improved glucose levels — group 1. The placebo groups didn't get any significant differences.” [/align]
    [align=left]Interesting that the group who took two caps of cinnamon, equaling 1 gm per day saw the most significant benefit. I guess the low/slow approach applies with cinnamon, just as it does with Brown's AP? ;)[/align]
    [align=left]I also just did a quick search on glucose levels and milk thistle. This was the first article to come up and you may find much more. Seems milk thistle may also help reduce glucose levels! Who woulda thought, eh? [/align]
    [align=left]http://www.nutraingredients.com/Research/Milk-thistle-extract-could-help-diabetes-control[/align]
    [align=left]Linda, so great you have found a good endo to help you…that is my next mission on my to-do list, as well. Makes all the difference when a doc is on top of their game. My mouth dropped wide open when your endo picked up on blood anomalies that your rheumy shrugged off as unimportant! 😯 Thank goodness you're proactive in your own health![/align]
    [align=left]Don't worry, I'm just as geeky as you…I love your posts and they always bring sunshine into my day. It's not overlooked that you're facing this challenging time, but your attitude is so uplifting in spite of it all. Thank you for just being transparent, funny, quirky, geeky, wonderful *you!* [/align]
    [align=left]Peace, Maz[/align]
    [align=left] [/align]

Trudi
    Participant

[user=27]Maz[/user] wrote:

…I love your posts and they always bring sunshine into my day. It's not overlooked that you're facing this challenging time, but your attitude is so uplifting in spite of it all. Thank you for just being transparent, funny, quirky, geeky, wonderful *you!* 

Linda–

Totally agree with Maz; you have a wonderful attitude and your posts often bring smiles to my face–

Wishing you well–

Trudi

Lyme/RA; AP 4/2008 off and on to 3/2010; past use of quinolones may be the cause of my current problems, (including wheelchair use); all supplements (which can aggravate the condition) were discontinued on 10/14/2012. Am now treating for the homozygous MTHFR 1298 mutation. Off of all pain meds since Spring '14 (was on them for years--doctor is amazed--me too). Back on pain med 1/2017. Reinfected? Frozen shoulder?

linda
    Participant

Of course all of you understand that it's no fun being funny or geeky alone, or with people who just do not 'get me'. I do try my little jokes out on Cisco and Kiara, but I guess it's just not high brow enough for my pampered pets. Thank goodness some of you are geeks, and others are just kind, but either way, you're THERE, and that's the important thing. It's so much better to have people laugh with me than pity me. Pity stinks!

Kim
    Participant

No pity here, just support. 🙂

kim

Tiff
    Participant

Of course all of you understand that it's no fun being funny or geeky alone, or with people who just do not 'get me'. I do try my little jokes out on Cisco and Kiara, but I guess it's just not high brow enough for my pampered pets. Thank goodness some of you are geeks, and others are just kind, but either way, you're THERE, and that's the important thing. It's so much better to have people laugh with me than pity me. Pity stinks!

Count me in as a geek, too.  I also enjoy your posts, and I think about you and how you are doing here in West Texas along with me!  I think making people laugh is such a great purpose.  There is a lot to worry about in our world, but a lot to laugh at, too, isn't there?  I have found the more I laugh at my situation (with the help of my oddball family), the easier it is to take, and the less seriously I take all the other scary stuff about the world.  Laughter really is good medicine!  :roll-laugh:

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

(G)Linda – am with the others……always enjoy your posts. What a bummer about the Type 2 Diabetes. Am I right in thinking it can be brought under control by diet? I seem to remember a nutritionist telling me that when her Father was diagnosed. May be time to add a really good naturopath (or similar) to your wellness team. Lynnie   

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

Viewing 10 posts - 76 through 85 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘ good/bad news’ is closed to new replies.