Home Forums General Discussion good news

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    marg
    Participant

My daughter takes Minocin once a week, has been for over a year, following severe RA about 4 years ago. She has been in remission for a good 3 years. As well, she had two scleroderma lesions, one of which is almost gone and one which is a little reduced in size.
    The interesting thing lately is that she had developed a white discolouration under a fingernail on her right hand, quite extensive about 2 years ago and some time after that less extensive involvement on 2 fingernails on her left hand. Doctors could not diagnose this. However, in the last months her nails on her left hand are normal. We hope the right hand may follow.
    We don’t know if this is related ot RA/SD or if Minocin is helping ( though she was on minocin when this developed0 but it just seems to us to all be related.
    As well, she was low in iron, prescribed iron pills which initially didn’t help, but her iron levels are now normal. To me this is an indication that the RA is under good control.
    The only symptom that lingers is fatigue. She is in her 40’s, a single Mom of one,with a demanding job, so some fatigue would be expected – but I think it’s more than that. Puzzling when her iron is normal…We remain hopeful that this too will improve. Still, mainly good news. We are AP believers for sure.

Parisa
    Participant

Marg,

Sounds like your daughter is on the right track! Fatigue could be from any number of things, allergies, diet, even her body using its resources to heal ie. burned out adrenals and hypothyroidism. If she hasn’t looked into any of those things maybe she should.

Maz
    Keymaster

@marg wrote:

The interesting thing lately is that she had developed a white discolouration under a fingernail on her right hand, quite extensive about 2 years ago and some time after that less extensive involvement on 2 fingernails on her left hand. Doctors could not diagnose this.

Marg, thanks so much for posting an update on your lovely daughter and so happy to hear she is faring well after 4 years on AP! This is such terrific news. 😀

With regard to her nails, was nail fungus ever considered by her doctors? Apparently, according to Merck Manuals, 50% of nail problems are caused by fungus. In the case of minocycline, it is more often reported that a blue discoloration occurs underneath the nails. The following link provides lots of info on the types of nail discolorations and deformities that can occur:

http://www.merckmanuals.com/home/sec18/ch216666/ch216666b.html

One thing that came to mind that wasn’t mentioned at the above link is that zinc deficiency can also cause white spots or discoloration under the nail. Now, this could be related to minocycline use, because tetras are highly chelative and bind to minerals:

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/ate/weightandnutrition/203910.html

Just some passing thoughts, Marg, and hope something helps figure this out. Also hope you are well!

aynurrzepa
    Participant

Marg,

How about checking Vit D3 levels (25 OHD)? Low vit D gives the fatigues etc as well…

Maz, you mentioned that mino is chelating, does it mean that I have to look out for possible reduction of plasma iron and zinc levels, and also Ca, Mg? Thanks!

marg
    Participant

Thanks to all of you for your helpful replies.
    Maz, it sounds most like onycholysis – some lifting of the nail, white underneath in a diagonal pattern from the cuticle to the nail tip. Hadn’t considered that it could be caused by mino… Doctors stated that it wasn’t fungus but didn’t do a scraping. Maybe her low maintenance dose of mino is better for her nails! She does find that if she forgets the one dose – or thinks that she wouldn’t need it – that she gets mild RA symptoms .
    Parisa, some good ideas here to pursue. Aynurrzepa, just 2 days ago I e-mailed my daughter to have her Vit. D level checked and to make sure in the meantime that she was getting at least 1000 iu. I thought of this only because my GP is great re. prevention and has me on Vit D – took about 6 months to get my level up to where he’s satisfied. So yes, good idea!

Valsmum
    Participant

Aynurr,

I had the same question as you about minocycline having chelative qualities. Some people find their arthirtis does better with chelation treatments. Well this article has some good info about the tetracyclines being chelative. I thought you might like it.

http://www.arthritistrust.com/Articles/The%20Role%20of%20Chelation%20Therapy%20%20–%20Antibiotics%20and%20Mycoplasms.pdf

Sheri

Maz
    Keymaster

@marg wrote:

Maz, it sounds most like onycholysis – some lifting of the nail, white underneath in a diagonal pattern from the cuticle to the nail tip. Hadn’t considered that it could be caused by mino… Doctors stated that it wasn’t fungus but didn’t do a scraping. Maybe her low maintenance dose of mino is better for her nails! She does find that if she forgets the one dose – or thinks that she wouldn’t need it – that she gets mild RA symptoms .

Marg, does your daughter have any thyroid issues going on? If none to her knowledge, has she had her thyroid checked lately? Thyrotoxicosis can also be a cause of nail Onycholysis. Just a thought….

Aynur…if you enjoyed the Clark article link above and haven’t yet had a chance to read Harold Clark’s book, Why Arthritis?, I think you’d really get a lot out of it…I really loved this book, as he just covers the full gamut of all the theories surrounding rheumatoid disease and why infectious causes make sense. Clark was Chief of Microbiology to Brown, his close colleague and fellow researcher.

marg
    Participant

Maz, she has never been aware of thyroid issues and on reading symptoms of thyrotoxicosis none ring a bell with me. Nevertheless, it could be a good idea for her thyroid to be checked when she has her next appt. She sees her GP and also a rheumy, but the latter not very often as she is doing so well.
    You’re a wonderful detective, Maz, thanks!
    marg

Maz
    Keymaster

@marg wrote:

Maz, she has never been aware of thyroid issues and on reading symptoms of thyrotoxicosis none ring a bell with me. Nevertheless, it could be a good idea for her thyroid to be checked when she has her next appt. She sees her GP and also a rheumy, but the latter not very often as she is doing so well.
    You’re a wonderful detective, Maz, thanks!

Ach….no, not really, Marg! Just following dots with all this stuff…it may lead to nothing at all, but always worth checking thyroid anyway with these rheumatic diseases, as it’s just a common overlap in so many of us. You’re such a good Mum doing all this research for your daughter…it’s you who should get the big pat on the back. 😉 Let us know if you both uncover anything with this…thanks!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.