Home Forums General Discussion Going to Dr. tomorrow…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    JoAnnC68
    Participant

I’m going to visit with my regular MD Dr tomorrow to talk to him about Antibiotic Protocol. I’m new at this…my guestion is: What important informations do I need to have with me to convience him to help me on the AP therpy? πŸ˜‰ I really want him on board!!!

I printed off a lot of things from RBF and have the book “The New Arthritis Breakthrough”…But I have way to much material for him to read in a short visit. I want to keep it Short and Sweet…he can read and research into it further later if he want to.
    Any Help is greatly appreciated!
    Jo Ann

Diagnosed with RA Jan 2012
    Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    Oct 2013-RF has dropped to 40.9!!! Feeling Wonderful!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

Maz
    Keymaster

@JoAnnC68 wrote:

I’m new at this…my guestion is: What important informations do I need to have with me to convience him to help me on the AP therpy? πŸ˜‰

Hi Joann,

Minocycline is an approved American College of Rheumatology DMARD. So, if your doc is dubious, just tell him this and that this is your preferred treatment. It is prescribed to teens with acne, long-term, every day and so it is relatively benign, too. πŸ™‚

http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/clinical/patients/medications/minocycline.asp

If your doc would like to consult with an experienced AP Physician, you can also supply this info to him. Dr. S. in Iowa is very kind to speak with inexperienced doctors to reassure them about the protocol and can offer insight on how to titrate doses (and other abx combos) to patients needs/tolerances. I will send you his contact info in a PM that you can pass to your doctor. My doctor called Dr. S. about starting IV clindamycin for me and it was no biggy.

You’re right…most docs don’t have time to wade through piles of info, so these are the two most basic things I’d take with me. I’d also keep the following article on hand in case the doc uses the “abx resistance” argument. πŸ˜‰

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/04/110411163811.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily+%28ScienceDaily%3A+Latest+Science+News%29

Others may have good tips to share about how they convinced their docs to help them with the therapy. Thing is, most docs are reluctant, because (a) they don’t have time to research the therapy to learn how to titrate it to patient tolerance and (b) most PCPs are used to handing off their rheum patients to rheumies and don’t deal with the meds end of things. Some are more open, however, if they know they can call an experienced doctor to be reassured. Where it gets tricky for patients is when a PCP is willing to prescribe, but doesn’t know how to tweak the protocol down the line. For some, they just want their mino script and they’re away…for others, it can take a lot of tweaking and doing this alone can be a challenge. Nevertheless, it’s a good way to get started on AP to have a local doc’s help…and support, if they will provide it.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hi Maz..
    Thank you so much for your help in answering my questions. (I’m sure there will be more! πŸ˜‰ ) The sources and Dr’s info will be a big help! TY!!
    I’m nervous and excticed both about talking to my MD tomorrow…I just wish I had some medical schooling or some kind of knowledged about medical stuff, lol, talking to someone in the medical fields would be so much easier…and to understand!
    Thank You again Maz…and Have a Wonderful Day!
    Jo Ann

Oct 2015- RF has dropped to 19!!! Isn't that Great! ?! I'm feeling wonderful! I'm still taking Mino 2 x daily...if I don't forget!
    Oct 2014 RF has dropped to 23.1!! Taking Mino 100mg 2 x daily. No Pains & doing great!!
    7-17-2013 I'm going Great!! Still taking mino 100mg twice daily. No pains or Complaints!
    5-9-2013 RA Dr said I was doing good, I could stop taking prednisone since I dropped to 1/2 mg...so will

Maz
    Keymaster

Joann, you’ll be fine! Don’t worry, because your doc doesn’t need to believe in infectious causes and you don’t need to explain any of that to him. As long as he is aware that minocycline is an approved DMARD for RA and that you want to get started on this RA DMARD, asap, then this is all you need to begin and he will feel his back is covered. πŸ˜‰ Just try to remain assertive about this being your DMARD treatment of choice.

As time goes on and he sees your improvement, he may be more open to learning more about the infectious rationale, but to try to push that stance at the beginning can sometimes get docs upset, as they are trained to believe rheumatic disease is “autoimmune” and “idiopathic.” Really depends on the doctor and how open they are.

I think some docs are surprised to learn about minocycline or doxycycline being used as DMARDs for rheumatic diseases, because they don’t always equate these abx with anything else except for their use to treat infections. Thus, not believing that rheumatic disease is caused by a chronic infection, they’ll pooh-pooh it and refuse to help. When, however, they learn it is an ACR-approved DMARD, approved for its immune-modulating effects, they’re more comfortable about it. So, to begin with, you might just want to push this angle, rather than getting into the whole “infectious theory” side of things with him. Again, really depends on how open he is about it all.

clong1057
    Participant

Hi, I too am new to AP and made myself a complete wreck when Dr. T (my D.O. that prescribed )AP told me she wanted me to tell my Rhemey I was doing it. I just stuck to my guns when she tried to talk me out of it and made a deal with her to help me out with it for 3 months and we would talk again at that time. She went for it (not fully convinced) and I am on my third week of AP. I am thinking I’m doing pretty good but kindof scared to get my hopes to high yet. Just tell them that’s what you want and if they won’t agree to it email RBF and look for a Dr. in your area that will. It’s your health and you have to take charge. There will be plenty of people backing you on this site.

JoAnnC68
    Participant

WooHoo!! My MD wrote me a subscription for Minocycline!

I had printed off the info that Maz suggested http://www.rheumatology.org/practice/cl … ycline.aspThank You Maz!!

After a brief how are you doing…I asked him if he knew Minocycline was used for RA and handed the paper over to him to look at…he said that he didn’t know anything about that…handed the paper back to me, so he really not on board, but he didn’t have a problem with me given Minocycline a try, (I could see his..yeah, we’ll see how this goes…) He said he could see my enthusiasm about trying out Minocycline…but I was to promise him…if I had any problems to let him know.
    Blood test was done and I’m to check back with him in about 3 months. He wants me to continue with the 10 mg prednisone every other day…which I’m hoping I can cut back on little by little.
    I’m so excited and anxious to get started!
    Thanks again so much for your help and your support Maz!!! You are a Sweetheart!

Eileen
    Participant

Hi JoAnn,

Many congratulations to you!!! You’ve jumped a huge hurdle without a missed beat. Even more, very pleased to hear that your dr. is on board. Phew!

Eileen

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hi clong1057
    Thank you for posting. I understand what you mean about being scared to get your hopes up to high….I’m in the same boat with you. I’m sure you are like me…we really want this AP to work out for us like it has for so many people, we just have to do it and think positivity!
    I did send off for a list of the Drs in my area and the closest one on their list for me was abt 6-7 hours away…ugh, I didn’t want to have to do that, that why I was hoping my MD would help me…he too, is not convinced, but he was willing to write a subscription so I could try it. I’ll have to get my coaching from RB helpers! πŸ˜‰
    I hope all goes well for you…and I’ll be checking on you! Please keep posting as to how and what is going on with you. I think that is the only way we can help and support each other!
    Take Care!
    Jo Ann

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Hi Eileen!

Thank You so Much!!

Ha…I was nervous all morning long worring about how to present this to him…and my blood pressure was up a little, I knew it would be with all the anxiety I had!!
    I did say my prayer…God was there helping me! πŸ˜‰

Thanks again!
    Jo Ann

Eileen
    Participant

Hello JoAnn,

You are very welcome. You’ve bridged a huge gap with your dr. So very happy for you. You did it!!!!!! Just stay the course with the rest of us here. We’ll help you sift through all of it. We’ll hold you hand if you need it to be. RBF turned my health and life around. Didn’t come without lumps and bumps — but I’m walking again.

Hugs,
    Eileen

matv
    Participant

JoAnn very nice to meet you..

Welcome, you’ve come to a place that’s extremely supportive and caring. I don’t know why it’s been so long since I’ve posted.. Maybe it’s because I thought I could go back to my old life after AP had helped me for a few months. Well I’m kind of back to square one, so I think it’ll be time for me to ge tback on the ball myself!

Keep at it, you won’t see results overnight, but you will feel some of them! (Herx’s are a pain..sometimes literally)

Hope to hear from you again soon!

JoAnnC68
    Participant

Good Morning …

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome to RBF…lots of friendly caring supportive people here, and I am so grateful for you and RBF!
    Yes, Eileen…I will need someone to hold my hand! This is all so new to me and I have so much to learn. Someone that has been there and done that knows what we are going thru. I think that is wonderful that RBF has turned your health and life around. You know that is what we all want. πŸ˜‰

We Need a “Like” Button to click on when we read these nice comments! ( Like Facebook has.)

Matv, It is nice to meet you too! I’m determined to stay with this AP as long as it takes! How long were you on AP and what has happened lately? I’m still learning, so your input will help me/us to understand what to expect and what’s going on.
    I certainly hope things works out for you.

Take Care!
    Jo Ann

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.