Home Forums General Discussion going to doc tomorrow

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    lacyra
    Participant

Going to doc tomorrow and really confused about which drug to get. Have RA 14 years with much damage to hands ect. Called teva about minocin and some how got infor Valeant has minocin a pellitized cap and had a pt assistant program and offers it 60 cap for 75.00 thur Philidor Pharmacies seeing I am on medicare. Is this the same drug? I got a NDC code off Triax Pharm which is 1429050086 for 100mg . Or should I go for doxy? Any brands that work? Years ago I was on Lederle minocin but over night it was 30.00 a month to 260.00 and last I heard the pill was 14.00 each or did they stop making it all together? HELP

Maz
    Keymaster

@lacyra wrote:

Going to doc tomorrow and really confused about which drug to get. Have RA 14 years with much damage to hands ect. Called teva about minocin and some how got infor Valeant has minocin a pellitized cap and had a pt assistant program and offers it 60 cap for 75.00 thur Philidor Pharmacies seeing I am on medicare. Is this the same drug? I got a NDC code off Triax Pharm which is 1429050086 for 100mg . Or should I go for doxy? Any brands that work? Years ago I was on Lederle minocin but over night it was 30.00 a month to 260.00 and last I heard the pill was 14.00 each or did they stop making it all together? HELP

Great sleuthing, lacyra! I was only just wondering what happened to Onset Dermatologics and brand Minocin as they no longer have a website or link to brand name Minocin. Upon doing a bit more digging, its now clear that the Onset Dermatologic’s parent company, PreCision Dermatology, was bought out by Valeant pharmaceuticals. This all took place (weirdly) around the same time that Onset took over Minocin from Triax (around Feb 2014). So, I’m hoping they’re probably just getting set up with a new site logo, etc., and will have a Minocin page again, at some point, now that the takeover parent company, Valeant is their leadership. That’s a start…now just have to keep watching for a new link to Minocin. Hopefully, they won’t do what Steifel, in Canada, did and phase out the original brand after that corporate takeover.

http://ir.valeant.com/investor-relations/news-releases/news-release-details/2014/Valeant-Pharmaceuticals-to-Acquire-Precision-Dermatology-for-475-Million/default.aspx

You’re absolutely right about Minocin’s inflated cost in the past decade, because it’s now well beyond the reach of anyone out of pocket and can only presume it’s purposeful…to get it phased out and off the market due to lack of demand (as a competing rheumatic drug). After all, who in their right mind would buy an acne med, costing $1000 per month (for 60 caps) when there are much cheaper generics?

Minocin, the original two-toned pea green capsule, with on translucent end to see the pelleted contents is the preferred brand, if it’s affordable, but there are generics, like Teva, that seem to work well for many, too.

Some online Canadian pharmacies are also providing brand name Minocin, but when imported from other countries, it’s in a different capsule and with a different name.

http://www.buylowdrugs.com//rx-drugs/minocin.php

Good luck in your search. Others here may have some other updates or helpful info to share, as I no longer use minocycline, so not always abreast of what is going on with the brand or generics.

lacyra
    Participant

I am still confused if I should go forward with their pt assistant program and order minocin (brand) from Philidor pharm which valeant informed me to contact to get 60 cap for 75.oo hard to believe it would be the same old minocin. It just a shame when something may help someone why they would make it so expensive or drop it. Is it like doing away with a doctor who was really healing people. Like current news reports. Such a shame. I feel the biologicals are to dangerous for I do not want cancer plus RA or some other fatal illness.

Maz
    Keymaster

@lacyra wrote:

It just a shame when something may help someone why they would make it so expensive or drop it. Is it like doing away with a doctor who was really healing people. Like current news reports. Such a shame. I feel the biologicals are to dangerous for I do not want cancer plus RA or some other fatal illness.

Well, in the words of rheumatologist, Dr. David Trentham, who is now retired and ran the MIRA trials, Wyeth had good reason to want to get Minocin out of the way. Since buying Minocin from Lederle, Wyeth sold distribution rights to Triax, then Onset Dermatologics and now to Valeant…the latter three, all dermatological pharmaceuticals, which hiked up prices to create a marketing buzz around Minocin for cystic acne, cleverly sent Minocin well out of the way from competing with the new blockbuster drug for RA, Enbrel:

“Forging His Own Path: Denied help from a big drug firm, a Boston doctor still finds a way to study an arthritis treatment”
    Alice Dembner

Reprinted with permission, The Boston Globe, June 25, 2002

https://www.roadback.org/index.cfm/fuseaction/aboutrbf.display/display_id/255.html

“Scientists do not understand why minocycline appears to help some arthritis patients. A national study of 219 adults with rheumatoid arthritis, supported by the National Institutes of Health and published in 1995, found, however, that minocycline significantly reduced joint swelling and tenderness in more than half of patients, although a dummy pill caused similar improvement in about 40 percent. Lederle Laboratories, which then made Minocin, provided the drug and placebo free for the study. Wyeth subsequently bought Lederle and helped market Enbrel, which chalked up $900 million in sales last year.”

Price hiking for generic drugs is also a business practice that is occurring widely now:

“The Rise of Big Generic: Why Knockoff Prescriptions Now Cost $1,200”
    Saturday, 08 August 2015 00:00
    By Steve Hendricks, Truthout | News Analysis

http://www.truth-out.org/news/item/32182-the-rise-of-big-generic-why-knockoff-prescriptions-now-cost-1-200

Boris
    Participant

Hello Lacyra, I order through Phillidor Pharmacy the minocin brand and its been a good experience.

bonnielou
    Keymaster

Philidor Prescription services has an “F” rating from the Better Business Bureau and numerous fraud complaints. Be cautious with this source.

Bonnie Lou
    RA 02/07,AP 10/07
    Minocycline 200mg MWF; Plaquenil 100mg 3 days/week
    Fish Oil, Ubiquinol, Turmeric, Vit C (2 grams) , MultiVit, Magnesium, Astaxanthin, D3 (5000), probiotics and a daily dose of yoga!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.