Home Forums General Discussion Gluten free and doing much better!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sherryb123
    Participant

Hi all, I have been diagnosed with RA since 1997. Just the minocin (now it’s generic, as I could not afford the cost of the brand) and advil for the past many years. Still had many issues, I have had the joint deformity since nearly the beginning.

I went on the paleo program about a year ago. The difference has been striking. I could not make a drive from FL to PA without assistance, had not pumped gas, had been getting progressively worse in the past several years and still was afraid to go on heavy duty meds for the RA as I have known someone who died from a secondary infection who was on a much more potent immune system suppressant.

I was finally convinced to look into going gluten free by a friend whose autoimmune condition was helped by doing so. Yes, should have been tested for gluten intolerance, but without insurance, couldn’t afford it. So I took a leap of faith and just dropped the gluten cold-turkey.

I found, over the past year, that I no longer need help getting dressed or undressed. Even buttons are good, again! I can pump my own gas, again. I drove for 14 hours (yes, I stopped every two hours) between PA and FL myself. The bottoms of my feet no longer hurt. My knees work, again. I don’t need advil every single day, and though I haven’t stopped minocycline, I take it with less frequency.

I do know the minocin helped me greatly. However, had I gone gluten-free years ago, how much easier might my life had been?

It wasn’t that difficult. Paleo allows for meat, although it does not promote a lot of the gluten-free “snacks” (high sugar, or rice, etc) but I have some of them, anyway. I love allmonds, fruit, vegetables, gf pretzels, and try to stick with grass fed/pastured beef when I have it. No regular or soy milk, just almond, coconut or hemp milk and there is Bakery on Main for gf cereal, plenty of gf pasta to choose from, and tho many of these items are not paleo, they help round out my food choices. Cheese, coffee and too much sugar, still send me looking for my advil.

On the chance someone is having reading, this forum and the ab protocol have been a help to me, over the years. Now. I want to share what has helped me have a life again, even with the benefit of this protocol. Gluten free has made a world of difference, and I found there are even kosher gluten free websites you can order from. And (sigh) yes, I really miss prepared pizza. There are some gf pizzas out there, but my favorite is U**s and for the occasional bagel, theirs is better than most. Stay away from the gluten, and see how you feel. I no longer feel RA is a runaway horse I’ve been trying to rein. I don’t wake up and head for the advil first thing.

So, when I have the occasional lapse I feel it almost immediately. It’s not going to be that dramatic for everyone, but it’s probably going to help someone. Please fee free to email if you want to try it and want to know more of what I used to help me stay on the gf bandwagon. slavaune@aol.com

Thanks to the folks here and this protocol for the many years of early success that I had with staying away from the scarier alternatives to the ab protocol.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi sherry – that sounds like a great result – you must be delighted!
    Gluten has certainly been the most important thing for me to cut out of my diet. I can eat the odd small amount of dairy and sulphites (unknowingly) and not notice the difference. But with Gluten, I bloat within an hour or so and feel the difference in my energy levels, joints and connective tissue. I went gluten-free on my AP doc’s advice (addressing leaky gut) following some non-conventional testing by the naturopath she works with. However, recently, I have found that I have 2 of the genes that predispose me to celiac! Plus I have also recently found out that, as we get older, the body cant handle foods we have a sensitivity to, as it may have done when younger. That is borne out by two people I know (without any rheumatoid condition) finding themselves not able to handle eating gluten so well any more – they bloat and feel somewhat under par afterwards. I certainly believe that it is something anyone with any kind of “auto-immune” diagnosis should consider trialling for 3 months (the time it takes for it to be out of the body) and to be absolutely gluten-free during that time – because getting even a little of it will make the exercise useless.

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

sherryb123
    Participant

So glad to know others are gluten free and feel the difference! I really thought I needed to be vegetarian, and tho I don’t eat much meat, I am glad for the occasional uncured bacon or hamburger with no bun, because I’ve given up so much over the years! As someone who cannot chop things easily, cooking for myself is a real chore, so I’m glad to have a local health food store with gluten-free prepared fresh foods! My doc told me to also watch corn intake, so it’s only the occasional tortilla chips or corn pasta, which is a better taste than rice pasta.

I now leave that handicapped parking spot for others.

mary77
    Participant

Sherry,
    I am just like you! The elimination of gluten containing foods changed my pain levels in a dramatic way. Also, I stopped using thyroid meds about 2 months after going GF…I had been started on them about 2 months before going GF. I have 2 “celiac” genes, so was very pre-disposed to gluten sensitivity.

It is worth a try for anyone struggling with the AP and still having pain issues. My entire family is now GF and all have received health benefits. My husband was struggling with knee pain. We ran tests on him for gluten sensitivity and also genetic testing. Before the test results came in, he was eating all the gluten he coud find!! His knees worsened dramatically, but I said nothing. His test results reflected gluten sensitivity and a gene for celiac. He stopped eating gluten and within 2 weeks became a believer, as his knees were fine.

I feel that my pre-disposition to gluten issues showed up early in my Lyme/RA struggle. If I had been aware of this, it would have prevented a LOT of years of “extra” pain.

Mary

Hi Sherry, so pleased you are doing well on the GF diet. I find it has helped a great deal with my pain as well . all the best . Kind Regards Di.

seawall
    Participant

You should check out the book Good Calories bad Calories by Gary Taubes.
    http://www.amazon.com/Good-Calories-Bad-Controversial-Science/dp/1400033462/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371821610&sr=1-1&keywords=good+calories+bad+calories
    I have been trying to get my husband to go gluten free with me as well. It makes it a lot easier if you both can. Plus I think it is a diet he can handle (lol)
    I got it from the library as an audio book. Sometimes it is a bit dry but it has a wealth of information about why it is such a good idea.

Cyndy

Valsmum
    Participant

Sherry,

I had to reply because I tried Humira, Orencia , Remicade and Mtx for my RA and my change in diet has brought me so much more relief. I truly want to help people like myself that are in so much pain everyday due to RA. I could not believe the pain I was in or the swollen joints, there were so many.
    I juiced for about a week with only fruits and veggies and this seemed to do ALOT of healing and ever since then I juice one or two glasses of apples and carrots everyday. I also stay away from grains, and animal products. I will still have them but only 5-10% of my daily intake. I feel so much better and my knees are straight now. I am looking forward to exercising again, slowly but surely, I know I have to take it slow.

One more thing, my nodules are all disappearing, I had about 5 and now you can’t see them or feel them!!!

Corn bothers me too, as do most starches, I have si joint pain and not eating starches really helps with that too. I am less sensitive to them as I have been improving .
    Congrats to your improved health.!! 🙂 🙂

JohnnyMax
    Participant

I know many people can have severe issues with gluten. I once has some GI issues and the doc ran the test and said I was borderline, and to try eliminating gluten. I cut it totally out for about 6 months, made no difference in my case, so guess maybe the test was not all that accurate, which can be common for practically all tests the lab run nowadays. Seems like in your case it really was an issue which you luckily have eliminated. Definitely should help in allowing the AP therapy to work better and faster. Good luck.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.