Home Forums General Discussion getting a cold with Scleroderma

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    liveinhope
    Participant

Hi everyone,

I have been on AP for four months now. I have taken oral minocycline the whole time and had IV clindamycin for 7 days in December. I have diffuse SD which I’ve had for the last 20 months. I know I am better now since taking antibiotics than I was so am having some contained excitement. Contained because the changes are not obvious, they are improved energy and strength but flexibility has not really changed and I don’t know the picture for blood or organs.

Recently I have got a cold which I haven’t had in 2 years. I was wondering if anyone had some experiences with this and how it affected their SD. I figure it could have something to do with the immune system’s level of activity. i.e. when my SD was worst, my immune system would presumably be heightened and so possibly make it harder for a cold virus to take hold. Unless of course it is only certain antibodies/white blood cells activatied against the mycoplasma and antigen and they wouldn’t be useful in attacking cold viruses.

If the above is true, I am also wondering if getting a cold could be an indicator that the disease activity has been reduced significantly because my immune system has backed off. The other thing is that I did get a flu shot at the beginning of 2010 so maybe it has simply left my system.

The cold has made my joints much more painful again and my muscles weak and sore again like before the AP improved things. So I feel a bit rubbish and an hoping this will improve back to where I was prior to the cold.

Any thoughts?

Ben

PS I hope people suffering with rhumatoid diseases and reading this are travelling ok and your treatment is working for you.

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Hi Ben – glad that you are seeing some improvements after 4 months. Good for you! As for the cold, there is no real “evidence” per se, but alot of people have found that they dont tend to get colds when on mino, that in some way, it seems to keep those viruses at bay. However, I do know that many people with any kind of rheumatic illness who do get a cold or flu virus (me included) find that the joints and tendons etc do get sore. Hope you feel alot better soon, Ben. Others with SD will probably chime in with their experience in this. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

gordbentley
    Participant

yah colds make my joints and tendons scream. havnt had a cold on AP yet though, i had a minor sore throat that only lasted a morning and it made my joints hurt

mkay
    Participant

I must be the odd duck. Whenever I get a cold I get relief in the joint department, it’s like my immune system has something better to do than attack my joints! I had a bad cold in December and my joints were better than ever at that point. Also I do have ra and not scleroderma. There is no rhyme or reason to this disease in my book!

Parisa
    Participant

Ben,

Sorry to hear you have a cold but I’m happy to hear you are feeling like you are making progress. Energy is a great feeling to have come back. Just knowing that the tide is starting to turn can bring a sense of relief. Here’s to hoping that you start to see changes in your skin soon.

liveinhope
    Participant

Thanks to all who have replied with your advice and experiences. I am feeling better now but it was the worst cold I’ve had in ages! Sometimes it’s hard to work out the cause behind the symptoms when the are many factors going on in your life eg, diet, weather, sickness, physical activity done, progression or remission of the disease etc. I agree that sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason to how individuals react to the same factors.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.