Home Forums General Discussion Generic vs name brand doxycycline

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Awil19
    Participant

I read somewhere that it’s important to take name brand antibiotics instead of generic. To my surprise, name brand doxycycline is very expensive. Should I try generic?

jasregadoo

Dr Brown’s studies stressed that brand Minocycline is much preferred over generic. Sadly, in recent years, the price of generic has explored, to where most insurance will no longer pay for it, and most people cannot even find it. The majority, if not all, of the patients on the forum use generic. I do not know whether this is true for doxycycline as well as minocycline, but I suspect that it is. So while it may not be as effective, most of us have no choice, and have done very well on generic.

Luck20
    Participant

I’ve tried both. I paid $15 a month at Walgreens for a generic and now around $70 a month (not going through insurance) getting it from Canada for name brand Minocin from England. The disease came on very aggressive for me and as soon as I read that the generic might not as be as good, I switched. I just didn’t want to take any chances. If this progresses any more with my hands, I’ll lose use of them. I can get by right now…but I can’t afford to take any more hits with this disease. I’m so grateful its reversing!

I was getting better on the generic, but I’m also on Cellcept. I did notice my eyesight getting back to normal, but that happened AFTER I switched to the name brand. Now I wonder if maybe the vision problems were a reaction to that generic? Who knows.

I think any form of Minocycline is worthwhile. It just depends on your situation.

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Luck20
    Participant

Sorry, I thought we were talking about minocycline. I’m not awake yet. Lol

Originally +Ana May 2018 (now negative Jan 2019), scleroderma or uctd, Morphea (now mostly gone!), Myositis ( better now) Probable Lyme w/coinfections, had Bartonella marks that disappeared,
    Mild reflux, mostly gone,mild ild, skin hardening (continued softening and some parts normal again) Impaired liver function, now normal after 1 year and CK, LDH all normal again, 14 mo after starting ap.

Minocin m-f 2x, antibiotic rotation, ldn 4.5, cellcept 3000, probiotics, Monolaurens, Olive leaf extract, fish

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.