Home Forums General Discussion Generic minocycline and Buy Low Drugs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Jeni
    Participant

Hi All,

I haven’t been here in a while and just read about the whole Minocin availability issue. I was dealing with my son’s eye issue and didn’t notice when the pharmacy only had 50 mg capsules available and not 100 mg, and then, no Minocin at all, that something was going on!!!! I just emailed Buy Low Drugs in Canada to find out what brand they are now selling since they only have the generic available. This is really depressing for me since the first time I tried generic minocycline it absolutely trashed my stomach in three weeks. I am hoping that whatever generic Buy Low Drugs has won’t do the same thing.

I know other people use generic minocin and was wondering how effective the different brands were. Anyone have any personal experiences that they might share with me on this issue?

Thanks,

Jeni

fastspinW
    Participant

Dear Jeni,

So sorry to hear that you are also unable to get brand name Minocin. In terms of the generics I’ve used several different ones and have honestly not been able to detect any difference. That said, I would add that on a personal basis it’s difficult – some might even say impossible – to accurately assess the effectiveness of a particular type or brand of drug. The variables in disease state as well as in many other difficult if not impossible aspects of our day to day lives makes it difficult indeed to know what works best for us.

In truth even those expert in the field of rheumatology find it extremely difficult to assess a particular brand or type of drug. In fact despite having data samples of thousands of patients rather than our own meager data sample of 1 these folks are all over the place when it comes to just how important it is to take the brand name Minocin rather than any of the generics. The eminent rheumatoligist who headed up the MIRA trials assessing the effectiveness of Minocin felt that there was really no difference in brand name and generic. I know this because I was his patient and when I asked him that’s what he said. On the other hand there are other well qualified docs who will swear on a Bible that brand name Minocin is head and shoulders better than generic!

The good news is that the generic minocycline is realatively inexpensive so it’s possible to test several brands without having to resort to taking out a second mortage on the house. And it’s probably worth doing this as there seems little doubt that the slightly different formulations work differently in different folks as your own experiene with generic minocycline attests. When it comes to your problem with stomach upset the pelletized brand name Minocin may very well prove preferable as it doesn’t break down until out of the stomach.

All my best,
    Winston

Jeni
    Participant

Thanks for your thoughts Winston!

I was initially panicked before I realized that there really isn’t much I can do if generics don’t work for me.
    I am just hoping at this point that I can tolerate whatever generic minocycline, Buy Low Drugs now has. I am too busy and tired to go looking all over the world for alternatives.

Thanks for your reply,

Jeni

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jeni,
    @Jeni wrote:

This is really depressing for me since the first time I tried generic minocycline it absolutely trashed my stomach in three weeks. I am hoping that whatever generic Buy Low Drugs has won’t do the same thing.

You were taking it on an empty stomach, right? There’s no need to do that. Taking it with a little food won’t hurt, especially if you avoid foods fortified with calcium or iron. I like white rice. It’s cheap and it’s easy to prepare. Although the rice in the U.S. is fortified with iron, I rinse the rice thoroughly before cooking to get rid it. I’ve also used Utz pretzel nuggets (the only kind I could find without added iron), and applesauce (from a jar, not canned).

Be sure to shop around. When I was looking at what the Canadian online pharmacies are selling generic minocycline for, I seem to recall that I would pay less by buying it from a U.S. pharmacy.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Jeni
    Participant

Hi Phil,

The first time I tried minocycline it was a generic from here in the U.S., and I was in agony after three weeks. I don’t know why, but somehow I’ve gotten it into my head that the generics from Buy Low Drugs will be different….just really hoping!

I always take my minocycline with food because of the stomach issues I have, and I am not always that careful as to what I actually eat before I take it. It has been working so well that I honestly don’t think about that too much. But thanks for the reminder because I have been taking more vitamins and calcium lately, and I do need to think about that for sure.

You’re right, I probably should shop around the pharmacies. I guess I just went with the one and never thought about it again because I was so relieved to be actually able to get the doctor to prescribe it, and to be able to afford actual minocin!

Thanks!!!

Jeni

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Jeni,
    @Jeni wrote:

The first time I tried minocycline it was a generic from here in the U.S., and I was in agony after three weeks. I don’t know why, but somehow I’ve gotten it into my head that the generics from Buy Low Drugs will be different….just really hoping!

Maybe it was Ranbaxy minocycline. More than one person on here has said that Ranbaxy mino caused stomach upset.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Jeni
    Participant

Thanks Phil!

I will be checking brands and actually paying attention now!

Jeni

fastspinW
    Participant

Jeni,

I have purchased drugs from Global Drugs Direct in Canada for several years and have had very good luck with them. When I was on brand name Minocin I purchased Stiefel brand from them for $114 per hundred capsules. Here in Maine the same drug was selling for hundreds of dollars more! I currently buy brand name Synthroid from them (the American brand) for less than the copay for that drug costs me from my health insurance. I just checked their website and it says that Stiefel brand is on back order while generic is $63 for 100 100mg tabs. The Stiefel brand costs $199 for 100 100mg when in stock. I’m not sure if the backorder is temporary or just the website’s way of saying they don’t carry it anymore. Give them a call and see.

Their website is at: http://www.globaldrugsdirect.com/DrugMoreInfo1705.aspx

All best,
    Winston

Jeni
    Participant

Winston,

Good information, thanks. I will do some shopping around.

You also mentioned something else that I was interested in: have you ever been on generic Synthroid (levothyroxine), because I just started taking it, and wondered if you noticed any difference between the two. Just curious.

Thanks,

Jeni

fastspinW
    Participant

Jeni,

I have tried generic levothyroxine (several brands of it) and it was, as my British mother would have said, Rubbish!) As you may know the bioavailability of generics has to be within 20% of the name brand. Doesn’t sound too bad until you realize that means that it can be either 20% higher or 20% lower than the name brand. Math isn’t my thing but that point spread adds up to a 40% level of doubt when you consider that we users have no idea if the pill we just swallowed was above or below the standard. Now with some meds that may be semi-acceptable but with Synthroid???? This medication comes in many levels of potency precisely because it is so key to take just the right amount! Take too little and you feel like the Energizer Bunny one drum beat shy of total depletion. Take a bit too much (I did once by mistake, an experience I will never forget) and you will be like the Energizer Bunny a few seconds after sticking his paw into an electric outlet!

Thyroid meds and everything else pertaining to this thyroid dysfunction is not an area where one wants to be 20% off…

As a result it’s extremely important for you to be up to date on matters pertaining to the treatment of this malady. A great source (and free to boot) of info on this condition can be found at: http://www.thyroid-info.com/

All best,
    Winston

Jeni
    Participant

Thank you again, Winston!

I will definitely visit the site!

jeni

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.