Home Forums General Discussion Generic Mino

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Seaside Shell
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

It’s been awhile since I have checked in and it’s time for an update. I have good news and I have bad news today.

The good news is that, after almost three years on AP, my bloodwork is almost normal. πŸ˜€

The bad news is that the generic manufacturer that I have been using (Ranbaxy) is no longer manufacturing Mino. For the last month, I have been taking a gerneric manufactured by Aurobindo Pharmacy and I am feeling a bit worse each day. πŸ™

Can anyone share the name of a generic manufacturer that they are using with good results? I would be most appreciative.

Seaside Shell

judy cash
    Participant

Seaside Shell,
    πŸ˜‰
    Well……I guess you have given me some bad news also. I have been taking Ranbaxy brand with good results for about 1 1/2 years now. I knew that the co. was having trouble….. Before I started taking Ranbaxy only,,,,,,,everytime I would pick up my mino, I would get a different brand, (I never knew what I would get), and I had some pretty bad experiences with different ones. I finally talked to the Pharmacist, and ask if I could get only one brand and stay with that brand, he said he would try. I have done really well on this brand, so I’m not looking forward to going through that again πŸ˜‰ , finding one that works well for me… Thay say Teva or Watson are good….. Good luck to you…and me… lol…

Judy

June3443
    Participant

That is news to me also. I have been on Ranbaxy for almost 3+ years. I tried the Teva brand but it caused my ears to ring so badly I went back to Ranbaxy. I will check with my pharmacy (Walmart) to see what is available. I think the Watson brand is available at Target pharmacies.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi Judy,
    @judy cash wrote:

Before I started taking Ranbaxy only,,,,,,,everytime I would pick up my mino, I would get a different brand, (I never knew what I would get), and I had some pretty bad experiences with different ones.

It would be helpful if you could tell us which generics didn’t work so well for you.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

JohnnyMax
    Participant

I don’t know if anyone is familiar with this site, but it has a section showing users results with various generics of Minocycline, maybe useful. I was given the Teva brand, so far I think it works, but its early. Seems to get good comments by others too

http://www.tmgp.com/minocin.htm

Seaside Shell
    Participant

Thanks so much for your replies. Please do keep me posted if you find a generic that is effective. And I will do the same.

For now, I am back on the brand name for Mino and feeling much better. The co-pay is considerable higher but it is worth it to feel better.

Jonny Max: How do I find that listing on this site? I was not aware of it and would really like to check it out.

Seaside Shell

Seaside Shell
    Participant

Ah the perils of reading the posts on my cell phone! I missed the link in JohnnyMax’s post. Now that I have checked it out, I see that it is exactly the information I needed! Thanks JohnnyMax! πŸ™‚

June3443
    Participant

I checked with Walmart pharmacy today about the brand generic they will be replacing Ranbaxy. I was told Watson will be tbe generic and the price will be about $58 for 60 capsules. I haven’t taken Watson before so will report if I have any reaction when I change to it.

PhilC
    Participant

@Seaside Shell wrote:

The bad news is that the generic manufacturer that I have been using (Ranbaxy) is no longer manufacturing Mino. For the last month, I have been taking a gerneric manufactured by Aurobindo Pharmacy and I am feeling a bit worse each day. πŸ™

I have some good news — you were given some bad info. I just got off the phone with a pharmacist at the local Walgreens about refilling my prescription. I wanted my prescription filled with mino tablets made by Par Pharmaceutical, but they can’t get them. So I asked the pharmacist what kind of tablets are available and was told that they can get Ranbaxy and Dr. Reddy’s. Also, I am currently taking Ranbaxy mino capsules that I purchased last month, so there is some more evidence that Ranbaxy is still selling minocycline. My guess is that your pharmacy changed their supplier, and the new supplier doesn’t stock Ranbaxy mino.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

Seaside Shell
    Participant

Thanks for letting me know Phil. I believe that you are right because I have been able to get the Ranbaxy mino at Bartells since my previous post. What a relief! Blood work is improving. I am very grateful.

Have a good weekend.

Shell

June3443
    Participant

Thanks, Phil, for the information. I started getting blue spots on my lip so I have changed to doxycycline. I have been taking 50 mg of doxy twice a day MWF. It seems to be controlling my hip and tie pain. Can’t tell about the bluing yet.

I didn’t notice any difference in the Ranbaxy and Watson mino unless the bluing could have been worse on the Watson. I didn’t think about the fact Watson might have caused more bluing. Anyway, I am going to try to take the doxy for now.

I had a lot of brown spots on my ankles but they have almost gone away since I lowered my dose of antibiotics.

judy cash
    Participant

Hi Phil and Everyone,

I am still getting the Ranbaxy brand also πŸ˜€ … Thanks for the info Phil.

judy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.