Home Forums General Discussion For those with swollen bellies

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    fastspinW
    Participant

Judy,

You are most welcome. Having suffered from diabetes for more than 40 years I am always more than happy to help others avoid it, or if they can’t manage that, deal with it effectively. It is always terribly sad to see folks refusing to admit that they simply must adjust their diet and exercise plans to put off or treat this very serious illness.

When I was a little kid my engineer Dad said something to me that has served me well. Noting that I always seem to have an excuse for not changing the oil in our lawnmower my Dad said, “Winston the lawnmower doesn’t care whether you want to change the oil, or whether you have time to change the oil, it only cares that you change it. And if you don’t change it the lawnmower will self destruct!”

At age 65 I’ve lost track of the times when I haven’t wanted to take the time to do something that’s needed doing, but my Dad’s advice always somehow manages to make its way through the fog and change the oil I must!

All best,
    Winston

judy cash
    Participant

Winston,
    Your dads wisdom served its purpose with you, thats a good thing. It is so true, its so easy to put things off, “the things we don’t really see”, like this disease, until it is too late. I had a doctor visit today, and I have now gained almost 28 pounds since I started minocycline. He was so kind about it, and talked to me so gentle, that it really encouraged me. I dreaded going, because I knew he had been after me to lose weight. I know that it is in my hands to do it, so today while shopping at a thrift store, this book was staring me right in the face “Diabetic Cook Book”, so I bought it. The recipes were easy and sounded good also. I plan to try!!!!! Thanks Again, its nice to talk to someone who understands and helps with their advice…
    Judy

fastspinW
    Participant

Judy,

Without seeing the book you mentioned it’s hard to say, but as a rule books with titles like that are pushing the standard ADA style diet which, simply put, is a disaster. The sort of diet that works well for diabetics, or for folks like yourself who may well be headed in that direction, usually consists of a very low carb type diet. Living as we do in a land overflowing with foods high in simple sugars it can be tough at times to stick to a low carb style mealplan. Nonetheless, as my father might say, “Winston your diabetes doesn’t care that cookies, cake, and potatoes taste good, it only cares that your body can’t process them without becoming sick.”

Happily for you, because you don’t inject insulin your diet does not currently have to be as strict as those like myself who take 6-8 injections a day. So rather than being lulled into complacency by an ADA style diet I’m guessing it would ultimately prove to your advantage to go with the sort of low carb mealplan that will avoid placing the sort of stress on your pancreas that might well lead to a far less flexible lifestyle in the future.

Any of the Atkins style diets would be appropriate and if you are the sort of person who enjoys being creative in the kitchen (sadly, I’m not) there are a lot of very tasty meals that can be put together without resorting to the high carb route.

And remember, as with the “fasten your seatbelt” slogan, the life you save may be your own.

All best,
    Winston

Jan Lucinda1
    Participant

I wonder if vegetables would help abdominal fat.

jaminhealth
    Participant

I just posted on WHEAT….cut it out of diet and see how things go….

I DO NOT have bread in my house…..use romaine lettuce leaves to make a healthy sandwich with chicken or hamburger….

Krys
    Participant

@jaminhealth wrote:

I DO NOT have bread in my house…..use romaine lettuce leaves to make a healthy sandwich with chicken or hamburger….

I love your approach!!!
    I don’t do well on any starches, but as my reactions to food are quite crazy (no starch, no dairy, no eggs, no bananas, no nuts except for skinned walnuts, no starchy veggies), I allow myself to cheat occasionally by eating the least offensive foods like non gluten starches (rice, buckwheat, millet, quinoa) in small amounts on a rotating basis. Even carrots and carrot juice are OK, if eaten in small amounts and not daily. I’m hungry all the time, so sticking to just veggies and meat usually ends up cheating on big NO-NOs. Allowing myself some least offensive foods, every now and then, on a rotating basis seems to help.
    My husband stopped eating bread just to make it easier for me! So there’s no bread in my house either!
    Warm wishes, Krys

jaminhealth
    Participant

Good that the 2 of you are on the same page with the bread issue…..I’m alone, so don’t have to worry about anyone.

I would think GLUTEN would “swell” the gut. jam

Viewing 7 posts - 31 through 37 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.