Home Forums General Discussion Food bug toxin may trigger multiple sclerosis

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Suzy
    Participant

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271859.php

Hope this info might be useful to some…
    New research presented at a scientific meeting adds to a growing body of evidence that a toxin produced by a common food bug may trigger multiple sclerosis, an inflammatory disease of the central nervous system.
    MS is thought to result when genetically susceptible individuals are exposed to one or more environmental triggers. But while we have not yet firmly identified the triggers, there is increasing evidence, like this latest research, that a toxin called epsilon produced by certain strains of food bacteria is one of them, as Dr. Linden explains:

“We provide evidence that supports epsilon toxin’s ability to cause BBB permeability and show that epsilon toxin kills the brain’s myelin producing cells, oligodendrocytes; the same cells that die in MS lesions.”

Epsilon toxin is produced by certain strains of Clostridium perfringens, a bacterium that commonly causes foodborne illness in the United States.

For instance, in October 2013, Dr. Linden and colleagues reported in the journal PLOS ONE that the soil bacterium might be a trigger for MS when they found C. perfringens type B – a strain that produces epsilon toxin – in a 21-year-old patient suffering from MS.

C. perfringens is found in soil and contaminated undercooked meats, and previous studies have suggested the bacterium, and epsilon toxin, may play a role in triggering MS.

When they tested 37 local food samples, the researchers found 13.5% of them contained C. perfringens and 2.7% contained the epsilon toxin gene.

If further studies confirm these findings, Dr. Linden says it suggests a vaccine that neutralizes the ability of epsilon toxin to trigger MS could stop the disease progressing, or perhaps even prevent it.

Interesting…..Suzy

Anonymous
    Participant

I love articles like this one.

sunny22
    Participant

Thanks for posting this. Is is quite interesting. I hope more info comes out on this. Sunny

lemons
    Participant

I emailed Dr wheldon a few months back regarding AP, he has cured his wife of MS with antibiotics.

lemons
    Participant

P.S there is a clip on You tube about it, Dr Wheldon antibiotics. I have spoken to his wife as they live not far from me and she has made a remarkable recovery. The story is fascinating and I would recommend anyone on here searching for answers to have a look.

lemons
    Participant

Update, to watch the clip on You Tube about DR Wheldon , type in : MS Cure . There is lots of info already about him on this site, but when I was first diagnosed and before I knew about this forum I contacted his wife through the MS website they run.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.