Home Forums General Discussion Fingernail growth rate

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    JeffN
    Participant

I have been on AP going on five years for my SD and have been feeling very well for a while. That said I continue to see small improvements and changes now and again. The past several months I have noticed that my fingernails and cuticles are growing at a rate faster than I ever remember. Not freakishly fast but as I said faster than I can remember. Any ideas as to why? I was thinking that it might be circulation related. I certainly don’t think it is a problem I was just curious about it and wondered if anyone else noticed anything similar.

Lynne G.SD
    Participant

Hi Jeff;
    How are you doing kid? Long time no chat.I definetely find my hair and nails grow much faster in the summer.Same with all the family.Maybe you just noticed it now because we tend to obsess about every little strange thing that happens to our bodies.Maybe you just did not notice it when you were well

lynnie_sydney
    Participant

Jeff, all – fingernails and hair grow at a much faster rate in summer due to greater exposure to sunlight. Some thought is that it is the resultant increase in Vitamin D which stimulates growth. So, if your D levels have normalised/risen since being on AP, that would also impact on the rate of growth. Some also state that the sulphur provided by MSM also stimulates hair and nail growth. Lynnie

Be well! Lynnie

Palindromic RA 30 yrs (Chronic Lyme?)
    Mino 2003-2008 100mg MWF - can no longer tolerate any tetracyclines
    rotating abx protocol now. From Sep 2018 MWF - a.m. Augmentin Duo 440mg + 150mg Biaxsig (roxithromycin). p.m. Cefaclor (375mg) + Klacid 125mg + LDN 3mg + Annual Clindy IV's
    Diet: no gluten, dairy, sulphites, low salicylates
    Supps: 600mg N-AC BID, 1000mg Vit C, P5P 40mg, zinc picolinate 60mg, Lithium orotate 20mg, Magnesium Oil, Bio-identical hormones (DHEA + Prog + Estrog)

JeffN
    Participant

Hey guys good to chat again. I know about the increased growth of hair and nails etc. in the summer but I first noticed this in Jan. or Feb. of this year, very much winter in my area. They probably are growing a little faster than that now in the warm weather. I do not recall my nails EVER growing this fast, well at least back as far as my teen years anyway. One example that noticed is about ten years ago (before obvious SD) I was diving for lobsters and one bit my hand and damaged the base of my thumbnail. That was in May and it took until after the first of the year to grow out. Now this spring I again put a small hole in the same nail at work and has grown out already, maybe two and a half months tops. Just kind of curious about it and I figure it is a good sign rather than bad. Thanks for the input. The thought of increased Vit. D levels is interesting I will look into that.

Krys
    Participant

Jeff, I think it’s a very positive sign. I would say: congratulations!
    I don’t have SD but I’m delighting that not only my hair has stopped falling out, it is getting thicker than ever in my life. The nails are growing like crazy, too and I noticed a few weeks ago that I’m starting to grow back hair on my still bare looking arms and legs! Even my eyebrows, thin all my life, are just barely more generous. I love it!!!
    I hope your nails are transmitting REMISSION message. Warm wishes, Krys

Joe RA
    Participant

Hi: Jeff, I too have noticed, just what you have
    discribed and within the last 6 months or so, on
    my toes also. Lynnie mentioned vitamin D 💡
    I increased my vitamin D dose by 2000 iu about
    a year ago, 😯 💡 could it be ❓ 🙄 .
    Just maybe. The best to all ….Joe RA….

JeffN
    Participant

The Vit D change would have to be naturally occurring as I have not changed my calcium/vit D dosage. When I get a few minutes I’ll check the vit D idea out. Thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.