Home Forums General Discussion finger swelling

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    lindalou
    Participant

Hi, and merry xmas.
    I have scleroderma for seven years and I still have finger swelling going on. It is bad right now, I guess because of the weather. Any suggestions for reducing swelling?

linda lou

SusanSD
    Participant

Prednisone was the only drug that helped with my swelling, but you can’t take it long-term so I did wean off of it as I started AP. The maximum dose I took was 10 mg per day. With AP, my swelling did continue to slowly go down to the point that I could wear regular shoes, my watch, and my rings became loose on my fingers again, and now I only have some finger joints that are swollen but my ring fingers look almost normal.

My SD progressed so rapidly that by the time I was on rheumy #2, and diagnosed with SD diffuse, I had progressed to the second stage of scleroderma and that was less than a year from my initial symptoms of SD. Typically people take 2-3 years to get to the second stage, so if that’s the case maybe you have slow progression?

MINOCINMAN
    Participant

@Susan(SD) wrote:

Prednisone was the only drug that helped with my swelling, but you can’t take it long-term so I did wean off of it as I started AP. The maximum dose I took was 10 mg per day. With AP, my swelling did continue to slowly go down to the point that I could wear regular shoes, my watch, and my rings became loose on my fingers again, and now I only have some finger joints that are swollen but my ring fingers look almost normal.

My SD progressed so rapidly that by the time I was on rheumy #2, and diagnosed with SD diffuse, I had progressed to the second stage of scleroderma and that was less than a year from my initial symptoms of SD. Typically people take 2-3 years to get to the second stage, so if that’s the case maybe you have slow progression?

Hi Susan: What are you referring to as the 2nd stage? Do you mean the atrophy stage?

lindalou
    Participant

Hi,
    What is the atrophy stage?

Linda lou

SusanSD
    Participant

2nd stage is the skin hardening.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.