Home Forums General Discussion Fasting puts AutoImmune Diseases into REMISSION

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JohnnyMax
    Participant

Found this study recently and thought I would post this up for members to evaluate. Perhaps some will even try it out if they are not receiving the benefits they are seeking through using AP solely. According to the examples, these individuals were able to greatly reduce symptoms, with the possibility of remission in several well known autoimmune examples, showing it works across the board, not only for a certain diseases. One of the doctors, Fuhrman, is pretty well known for using alternative care successfully for autoimmune issues, so maybe they have something there. Personally, in the past when I was dealing with my issues, I found each day I felt better until I had my first meal, then it was downhill. I have heard the same from others on various forums also. I think this goes back to the theory of intestinal permeability, “leaky gut”. When the particles cross the barrier they trigger a new round of antibodies and the cycle continues with each meal. The secret is in how to transition from the fasting state to a vegan lifestyle without triggering the immune response again. They do not go into this aspect in the article, but perhaps info can be found on the web or members can put together a plan. I will check around and see if I can find anything and post. Anyway, I hope this will help someone jump start their progress and get some relief quicker than they currently are. Good Luck!

John

https://www.nutritionalresearch.org/sites/ntr.civicactions.net/files/research/autoimmune-waterfasting.pdf

lemons
    Participant

I am in remission, bloods in normal range and no visible swelling. I do however still get the odd ache and migrating pain once in a while.
    Contrary to what is considered the norm for RA , I always feel my best, first thing in the morning. I am not a breakfast person , cant face food that time of day . I tend to eat around midday, but within an hour I always feel tired and sluggish , even if its just fruit.
    Sometimes when I have a busy day ahead, I try to avoid eating until late into the afternoon ,so as to avoid this happening.

SherryP
    Participant

My husband has scleroderma and came across that study. He fasted on nothing but water and juices for 3 days and it didn’t change anything. Might work for some folks but didn’t do anything for him. The only thing that has helped him has been the AP.

SherryP

jasregadoo

According to the attached study, fasting must be water only, and for 1 to 3 weeks. Also, they did not test (or at least, did not report) scleroderma. Also, patients switched to a vegan diet after the end of their fast.

From the report:

We do not feel that commonly proposed mechanisms, such as changes in gut permeability and intestinal flora, adequately explain the clinical course of remission punctuated by brief exacerbations that we routinely observe during water-only fasting. We believe additional, poorly studied mechanisms account for fasting’s effectiveness in improving symptoms and inducing remissions. These mechanisms include a reduction in excessive lymphocyte activity and the mobilization and elimination of noxious stimuli from fat and tissue stores. Retained antibody-antigen complexes may also be involved. Though fibromyalgia is not classified as an autoimmune disease, it was included in these case reports because it demonstrated the same positive response to fasting as did rheumatoid arthritis, lupus, and mixed connec- tive-tissue disease. Maintaining a nutrient-dense, vegan diet of unrefined plant foods appears to be necessary after the fast to prevent the recurrence of symptoms and inflammatory activity.

I’m not sure how healthy it is to fast for 2 to 3 weeks, even under a doctor’s supervision, but for those who feel worse after eating, this might be an option. Maybe it allows your body to reset somehow, I don’t know.

Personally I am trying the ‘no change to diet’ method. I did try gluten free and dairy free for awhile last year, and felt no improvement whatsoever. I’m sticking with straight AP and some supplements for now. If I don’t find remission at some point, perhaps I’ll try something more drastic.

Spiffy

I question the vegan lifestyle afterwards. I think it depends on your blood type. Grass fed organic lean meats can add invaluable nutrients not found elsewhere.

DR4/DQ8 HLA, bio toxin illness
    Flare fall of 2014...muscle aches, joint pains, fatigue, hair loss, rashes
    Positive RA factor was 71 in January 2015 down to 28 as of September 2016
    IGG food allergies wheat, egg, dairy
    supplements: C and D, probiotics, milk thistle, Turmeric, cod liver oil, methyl b 12 & folate, digestive enzymes, Moducare, chlorella, berberine, LDN, monolaurin, Triphala, Patriot Greens
    MTHFR compound heterozygous
    Igenex IGM Lyme positive
    Minocycline 100 BID MWF

JohnnyMax
    Participant

I question the vegan lifestyle afterwards. I think it depends on your blood type. Grass fed organic lean meats can add invaluable nutrients not found elsewhere.

Personally for me, Paleo was the way to go, I am not a vegan type of person. Though if it made that much of a difference I would have gone Vegan to get better. Venus Williams claims to have gone Vegan, obviously it has been working for her. Not only is she able to live a normal life, but she competes in World Class Tennis and of late has been able to play close to her former self. Either the program she is on is perfect in every way or the disease itself is not very aggressive. I would not doubt she has gone the antiviral route to turn things around rather than the conventional protocols the doctors offer the average patient, but we may never know.

John

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.