Home Forums General Discussion extreme sun sensitivity

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    PhilC
    Participant

@enzed wrote:

Hi Phil,
    I’ve been on Bruffen for many years. I looked it up to find it is in the propionic class. Can you please suggest one I could switch to?

I was going to suggest that you consider trying nabumetone since it has been associated with a lower incidence of serious gastrointestinal adverse events, but it looks like it may not be available in Australia. I searched for it here and nothing came up. Could you check to see if it is available there? In case it helps, the brand name here is Relafen, and in the UK I believe it’s Relifex.

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

@enzed wrote:

Hi Phil,
    I’ve been on Bruffen for many years. I looked it up to find it is in the propionic class. Can you please suggest one I could switch to?

I was going to suggest that you consider trying nabumetone since it has been associated with a lower incidence of serious gastrointestinal adverse events, but it looks like it may not be available in Australia. I searched for it here and nothing came up. Could you check to see if it is available there? In case it helps, the brand name here is Relafen, and in the UK I believe it’s Relifex.

Phil

Thanks Phil. I can’t find nabumetone in Australia after an online search, but I just spoke to the local pharmacist and he recommends CELEBREX as a powerful anti-inflamatory with the least side effects. He thinks it works as well as Bruffen. Another he said was good is Meloxicam. Do you know if either of those are derived from propionic acid? I see my Dr next week and can ask for a change of script.

Edit: I looked up Celebrex on wikipedia and it doesn’t say anything about propionic acid.

Edit: Oh sod it, I just found this on the Celebrex website – Don’t take it if your doctor has told you that you have severe heart or blood vessel disease affecting the circulation in your brain or limbs So having Raynauds, I obviously can’t take Celebrex.

PhilC
    Participant

Hi,
    @enzed wrote:

Thanks Phil. I can’t find nabumetone in Australia after an online search, but I just spoke to the local pharmacist and he recommends CELEBREX as a powerful anti-inflamatory with the least side effects. He thinks it works as well as Bruffen. Another he said was good is Meloxicam. Do you know if either of those are derived from propionic acid?

Neither of those is a propionic acid derivative.

By the way, the info for meloxicam (Mobic) lacks that warning about blood vessel disease that Celebrex has.
    See: http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/mobic-capsules

Phil

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth."
    - Albert Einstein

enzed
    Participant

@PhilC wrote:

Hi,
    @enzed wrote:

Thanks Phil. I can’t find nabumetone in Australia after an online search, but I just spoke to the local pharmacist and he recommends CELEBREX as a powerful anti-inflamatory with the least side effects. He thinks it works as well as Bruffen. Another he said was good is Meloxicam. Do you know if either of those are derived from propionic acid?

Neither of those is a propionic acid derivative.

By the way, the info for meloxicam (Mobic) lacks that warning about blood vessel disease that Celebrex has.
    See: http://www.mydr.com.au/medicines/cmis/mobic-capsules

Phil

Thanks very much Phil, I’ll ask the doctor if i can switch from Bruffen to Meloxicam.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.