Home Forums General Discussion Exposure to Pneumonia: Length of Contagious Period

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    notabene
    Participant

My elderly relative was just hospitalized with severe pneumonia, and is now on oxygen and antibiotics. I thought of visiting him for a few days in five weeks, after a week of IV Clindamycin in Ida Grove and a week recuperating at my brother’s. I plan to stop minocycline during the week on IV Clindamycin, resuming it on the Saturday. I also plan some serious detox and probiotics.

Assuming that he has a bacterial case of pneumonia, and that it should not be contagious after 48 hours, 10-14 days, or two or more weeks, depending on the information source, is there any risk to scleroderma patients with some lung involvement? What if the pneumonia has a viral source?

This relates to the proverbial question about whether we are more at risk, because of our compromised immune systems, or less at risk, because we are taking antibiotics. I did come across a cautionary note about people on immunosuppressants!

I have looked at the various threads regarding pneumonia, but don’t see a specific response to my question.

Thanks – Nancy

richie
    Participant

Hi–folks with scleroderma do not have a weakened immune system rather an erratic over active immune system –I would think you can visit –just use good judgement about how close to go etc —
    richie

notabene
    Participant

Thanks Richie – Actually, I would be staying in his apartment. Like your photo, by the way.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.