Home Forums General Discussion Expired Minocin

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Barb
    Participant

Hi everybody,

This might not be an important question for most, but it’s really important for me.

On Feb.16th of this year, I stopped taking Minocin, because I felt/feel totally “normal”
    again. This after taking Minocin for the previous 7 years.
    And since I believe that good nutrition has helped me getting back to this normal point,
    I can probably continue like this for the rest of my life, but, of course, I am not sure.

Once in a while for a moment, I feel something in my knee or back and I am wondering
    whether these little buggers are still lurking in my system, then it goes away and I
    attribute it to old age.

So, my question is: I still have 2 bottles (200) of Minocin (took them every other day),
    which have expired.
    Normally, I would not have thought about it, but since I have had many tick bites
    in the last few years, I have become allergic to red meat (the Lonestar Tick will do this).
    So, I researched the tick situation and found in one of the writings that
    Minocin in particular should not be used after expiration.
    This was in tick-related writings.

Does anyone know anything for certain?

Thanks!
    BarbK

Maz
    Keymaster

@barbknc wrote:

On Feb.16th of this year, I stopped taking Minocin, because I felt/feel totally “normal”
    again. This after taking Minocin for the previous 7 years.

So, my question is: I still have 2 bottles (200) of Minocin (took them every other day),
    which have expired.
    Normally, I would not have thought about it, but since I have had many tick bites
    in the last few years, I have become allergic to red meat (the Lonestar Tick will do this).
    So, I researched the tick situation and found in one of the writings that
    Minocin in particular should not be used after expiration.
    This was in tick-related writings.

Does anyone know anything for certain?

Hi Barb,

It’s really smart of you to check this, because it’s quite harmful to take any tetracycline that is older than one year as it can cause kidney toxicity. Here is some info on Drugs.com about this:

http://www.drugs.com/tetracycline.html

“Throw away any unused tetracycline when it expires or when it is no longer needed. Do not take this medicine after the expiration date on the label has passed. Expired tetracycline can cause a dangerous syndrome resulting in damage to the kidneys.”

Are you seeing or have you seen a LLMD (Lyme Literate MD) in the past for your treatment? Only thought to ask, because ticks as you may already know can pass so much more than just borreliosis. This is why many LLMDs are now preferring the term MCIDs, meaning Multiple Chronic Infectious Disease Syndrome. Coinfections of Lyme, like babesiosis, bartonellosis, erhlichiosis, anaplasmosis, etc and even certain viruses, like the recently found Powassan virus in ticks (and mosquitos), can be just as devastating as borreliosis and each one needs separate attention. Lyme, itself, is highly pleomorphic, shape-shifting to different forms to avoid abx attack, so LLMDs will often employ several abx at once to try to target all its forms and also to treat as many suspected coinfections all at once. The unfortunate side to all this is that untreated coinfections will keep people ill and sometimes they don’t surface until much later down the road. I spoke to one lady who had used low dose AP and IV clindamycin for years for her RA successfully, went into remission and then had a run-in with breast cancer. After receiving treatments for her cancer, she was having terrible difficulty trying to get her RA back into remission and was contemplating knee replacements. At this point she was suffering from a very stiff neck, also. After visiting a good LLMD and getting tested for coinfections, she found she also had babesiosis, so she was put on aggressive combination protocol to treat this. Within a very short time, she was back on track again and felt she wouldn’t need those knee replacements, after all.

If you’re doing well, this is wonderful news! Just thought to put it out there just in case it may provide some grist for your own research mill. 😉 If you find you would like to visit a LLMD, Road Back maintains a list and one of the volunteers would be happy to send it to you.

All the best to you and do hope it won’t be long till we can add your testimonial to the main website hall of fame! 🙂

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.